For hip/hop/R&B/etc etc - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
For hip/hop/R&B/etc etc
Old 19th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
For hip/hop/R&B/etc etc

Ok
So here is probably the 700,311,323,121,543,132 post about microphones lol.
Heres my Dilemma, Currently I am running my own studio, and I am on the verge of dumping another grand or so in it. Ive budgeted 500 or so for the mic, maybe a little more, if I find the one I find most suitable.

Currently, I run the sm7b->Presonus eureka->Motu firewire->Logic studio.
And I hear alllllllll of this hype about the sm7 and blah blah blah, but to be clear, that motha don't do it for me. It sounds bland, and doesn't seem to work nicely into the mix without an assload of tweaking. ANYWAYS! haha

The mics I am looking at are
Avatone CV-12 (which ive heard nothing but good things about, but skeptical about hiphop performance)
At4040
Nt2a
ksm32
c214

Ive always been a huge fan of the AKG c414, so I am really leaning on the 214 or the cv-12, I just was wondering if I could get some extra insight. I can post one of my tracks up so you can get an idea for my vocal style, but this has had me up all night on the computer doing research, when I should just act more directly for my scenario.

Ps.
I get that every voice is different, and every mic is different, and not to sound rude, but please spare the lectures, I just want to hear some personal experiences with these mics so I can feel better about dropping 400-700 hard earned bucks.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The 4040 and the Avantone are the ones that really stick out for me, in that list. To be honest, best thing you could do is try them out first.
📝 Reply