Quantcast
What do the "beeps" and/or "buzzes" during recording sessions mean? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What do the "beeps" and/or "buzzes" during recording sessions mean?
Old 19th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
What do the "beeps" and/or "buzzes" during recording sessions mean?

Over the years I've listened to numerous "raw" professional studio recording sessions of musicians, voice over artists, etc... And in between takes, a tone (or buzzer, in older recordings) would be heard. The tones would be quick in duration (1/4 sec. or less)— and either 1, 2 or 3 in rapid succession.

Presumably these tones/buzzes are markers or ques of some sort for the engineers to reference cuts and I don't think the ones I'm talking about are automation ques.

Is there a "standard" as to what a single buzz/tone signifies, that differs from a double or triple buzz or tone?

Thanks!
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Most of the time those beeps are for the talent doing voice over work. It's a cue to let them know their line is coming up. I'm not sure if the beeps in succession signify anything different other than the studio that did the work.

Post-prod guys could probably answer that.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…