Beginner Standalone Sampling Keyboard? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Beginner Standalone Sampling Keyboard?
Old 25th September 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Beginner Standalone Sampling Keyboard?

Hello! I'm new here.

I am a multi-instrumentalist looking to get started in Hip Hop Production. I started trying FruityLoops and Reason and could not get into them. I had a few problems:
  • I couldn't really get a good handle of what was going on. The process seemed too discrete.
  • I couldn't really figure out how to make the subtle changes to music that I like to do, as an instrumentalist, so I'd rather record it... and:
  • I couldn't really figure out how to get my own music from my microphone into the system in a usable way.

Then I saw a video of Kanye West working with an ASR-10 sampling keyboard! I finally found what I was looking for. I wanted to sit at a standalone machine without a monitor and work the stuff out for myself and play my own samples into the machine.

Now, this keyboard is both too expensive and too old (with the 3.5" floppy drive) for me to get right now. But I'm wondering what I should be looking at? The features I saw in the ASR-10 were the ability to play in a sample and have the keyboard automatically pitch-shift the samples without speeding them up... that's really the critical one for me. But I don't know what that's officially called, so I don't know how to search for it.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I would recommend maschine. Integrated hardware and software makes making beats a breeze wo even looking at the monitor. You can sample whatever sounds are routed to ur interface, which is an ill feature. I just picked mine up abt a month ago, now everything starts there for me. I also have Reason and still use it a great deal, and love it. You can record audio into reason and FL studio too FYI. The only drawback for me so far is the sequencer in maschine. I do all of my sequencing in Reason.

The update to Maschine that just came out allows you to pitch-shift (you had it right) and time stretch. The time stretching in reason is top-notch.

If u are wanting to make instrumental changes in ur music (as an instrumentalist) then I would think the only way is to retrack that part. As far as not being able to get I put from ur mic to ur DAW, ur simply doing it wrong. All of the software that u mentioned is far and away capable of doing what ur asking. Just invest the time to figure out how. It's not even difficult nor time consuming.
Old 29th September 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Thanks LogicalMind. I looked at Maschine and as far as I can tell it's just a sampler. My question is, does it have the ability to pitch-shift a sample? For example if I sample something off one song in the key of Bb and another in the key of D, normally what I'd do is play the sample pitch-shifted to make it sound right -- as I understand, the keyboard-style samplers like ASR-10 can do this?
Old 30th September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by akdinvites โžก๏ธ
Thanks LogicalMind. I looked at Maschine and as far as I can tell it's just a sampler. My question is, does it have the ability to pitch-shift a sample? For example if I sample something off one song in the key of Bb and another in the key of D, normally what I'd do is play the sample pitch-shifted to make it sound right -- as I understand, the keyboard-style samplers like ASR-10 can do this?
yes maschine can do this
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I forget exactly what the ASR10 goes for.. $600?

Here are cheaper keyboard samplers that all have the same basic functionality of the ASR10 (as far as mapping a sample across the keyboard at different pitches):

This is the only new one:

Korg MS1 microSAMPLER Sampling Keyboard | Musician's Friend

Vintage:

Ensoniq Mirage
Ensoniq EPS
Emu Emax
Roland W30
Akai X7000
Roland DJX
etc etc

I would recommend the Korg thing, since with most of the old ones you're going to be dealing with floppy disks and possibly maintenance issues.
๐Ÿ“ Reply