Advice on lifting monitors to ear level - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice on lifting monitors to ear level
Old 25th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Advice on lifting monitors to ear level

Hi guys/gals,

I need an advice on how to lift my Mackies to ear level from my desk. As is the usual scenario - my space is tight, so I can't use standard monitor stands (ones standing on the floor). I need to lift the monitors by 35-38 cm.

I already found Primacoustic's Recoil Stabilizers (http://www.primacoustic.com/recoil.htm) and Auralex Acoustics' MoPADs (http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolati...tion_mopad.asp), but I don't know what to combine those with to attain the desired height, as they're much shorter.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Head down to a home improvement store, grab some wood, nails, and a hammer.

Nothing beats custom.
Old 25th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
MJFI, I was thinking of relying on wood/nails/hammer as a final measure
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Like I said, nothing beats custom.

Hell, if you want it to look fancy, you could get some ornate pre-sculpted blocks for the sides and then stain and varnish them.
Old 25th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I'm having this in mind, MJFI. Thanks!
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
You can get small speaker stands to sit on your desk top, then some MoPads on top for the odd 5-8cm you require

Something like this perhaps? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005...dir_mdp_mobile

Andre
Old 25th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
thank you, andre.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

These are excellent stands, custom made to the exact height you want. They are made to order from solid hardwoods and are very reasonably priced for the quality level.

Same guy also makes nice wall brackets if you can consider wall mounting.

The low-cost alternative is always a stack of books or magazines.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I used these instructions for some DIY monitor stands. If u can make them urself or know somebody who can u can get out for abt 50-60 usd.
https://gearspace.com/board/showthread.php?t=684196
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
+1 on the custom build.
A lot of the bigger hardware stores will do the cuts for you, so all you have to do is draw up the plans and buy the timber, hammer and nails.
Then buy a can of spray paint to finish the job.
I've built most of my furniture this way, and I barely know which end to hold a hammer.
It's cheaper, but best of all you get it to the exact height you need it.
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus 7 ➑️
The low-cost alternative is always a stack of books or magazines.
How reliable is that?

Can I use any stuff, like phone books, hollow blocks or something like this this to lift my monitors and the result will be the same?

Does the material I use for lifting my monitor "colors" the sound if I'm not using any isolation pads at all?
Old 26th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Lotus 7, that G-Wiz looks like an excelent service, but I'm not in the US. Can "books/magazines" stands really be a permament solution? ramonovski's questions interest me too.

I don't feel very handy with tools, but I'm getting more and more into the idea of trying to build something myself or at least making some plans and ordering someone to build them.

I'm going to look into that "DIY Monitor Stands (PVC Pipe)" thread. Thanks, Logical Mind. I guess I should've browsed the forums more thoroughly.
Old 26th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Actually, Logical Mind, that's an excellent thread! vocom's build from it will be perfect for my needs. Thanks again!
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonovski ➑️
How reliable is that?

Can I use any stuff, like phone books, hollow blocks or something like this this to lift my monitors and the result will be the same?

Does the material I use for lifting my monitor "colors" the sound if I'm not using any isolation pads at all?
The books/magazine suggestion was not really serious and was supposed to be a little "funny". I'd never actually do that because of the possibility of them sliding apart. I've edited the post with a "", but I have heard of people using cinder/concrete blocks.

The PVC pipe DIY solution looks like a very cost-effective way to go.

Isolation pad use seems (to me) to be a "sometimes it helps, sometimes it makes no difference" situation. With "higher-quality", heavy monitors which have heavy, "acoustically-dead" high-mass enclosures, it probably makes no difference. With smaller, lighter enclosures which may have a lot of surface vibration, it probably helps to isolate that vibration from the speaker stand and especially your desk. The "low-cost", but highly effective isolator is an "old-fashioned" typewriter pad. My current monitor system is floor standing and is very heavy and sounds fine without isolation pads.

In my experience, it's much more important to get the vertical angle exactly correct. I prefer to not have the monitors up to ear level with the front panels at 90 deg. to the floor/ceiling/desk surface. Every near-field monitor I've tried usually sounds better (to me) when it's below ear level and angled up 10 to 15 degrees. Of course it's a personal preference thing, requires some trial and error testing, and also is highly dependent on the room acoustic treatment.
Old 26th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
thanks for the felt pad tip, Lotus 7. i'll try and incorporate that in my "PVC pipe" design.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…