Quantcast
Protecting Studio Monitor Tweeters/Woofers - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Protecting Studio Monitor Tweeters/Woofers
Old 25th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Protecting Studio Monitor Tweeters/Woofers

I am looking to upgrade my monitors and one of my requirements is to have some sort of protection for the cones. My 4 year old thinks they are buttons that he should push! He has already done some 'button pushing' on my home theater speakers and a Fender Stage 160.

I know this is not the best option for sound reproduction but I am guessing punched in cones will likely be worse...sonically speaking.

Most of the monitors I have found with covers/grilles are on the low end of the spectrum in terms of quality.
Alesis M1 Active 320 USB
M-Audio AV40
JBL Control 5

I auditioned the Yamaha HS50M's and thought the sound was good (except light on the sub-bass) but they only have covers over the tweeters. The woofers would probably get smashed in.

I also like the Behringer Truth 1031A. Big bang for the buck with 8" woofers but the cones are completely exposed.

My budget is about $500 USD. I would also like at least a 6" or even better an 8" woofer.

Any suggestions?
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

13 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Covers will colour the sound, so that's why any good monitor will not have them.
Put them up out of reach.
Or better yet, teach your kid to leave well enough alone. My Grand Kids have never messed with anything as they know that's "Papa's" stuff. My studio is in the attic and the kids spare room and play area is right there. I have kids toy's mixed with mine.
I let them put on the headphones and teach them how it works. I let them gently strum guitars and mess with the keyboards...the rest they leave alone. But then kids are always better behaved for us grand parents, Parents have no control .. ha ha..
Old 25th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
johnnyv - thank you for the reply. I would think putting them up high angled down would likely work and still maintain a reasonable stereo image.

I am in the same situation with my toddler. Some of his toys are in the basement where my studio is. Don't feel right kicking him out. I don't mind sharing my space and I sure he will grow out of mischief in the coming years. Let the beatings begin!
Old 25th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Found a few more monitors with cone covers.

Yamaha MSP5

Focal CMS40

Genelec 8020B
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

13 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Trouble with monitors is you really need to hear them in person don't you?

You can't even trust all reviews as each person will have different ideas as to what is right.
Being a Yamaha NSM 10 owner I would lean that way, but I have noticed a lot of people liking the Glenelecs. You sure they have a cover?? I can't see one. The Focals don't look right to me.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Get the yamaha msp7's they have the grill over the woofer and they translate extremely well without having to worry about lack of bass or image. Plus they are strong as a tank I dropped mine about 5ft on cement and only had cosmetic damage.
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyv ➑️
Trouble with monitors is you really need to hear them in person don't you?

You can't even trust all reviews as each person will have different ideas as to what is right.
Being a Yamaha NSM 10 owner I would lean that way, but I have noticed a lot of people liking the Glenelecs. You sure they have a cover?? I can't see one. The Focals don't look right to me.
I agree. Must listen to them to make a decision. They will likely even sound different once I get 'em home.

I have been calling around to find local dealers that have these in stock and have listened to a few...KRK, Behringer, M-Audio, Yamaha. I have not found a local dealer with the Focal or Genelecs. I have also auditioned the Adams and Mackies.

The Genelecs definitely have a cover but are pricey. I am leaning towards the Yamaha HS50 or HS80. So far I was most impressed by them and they at least have some protection for the tweets.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Teach your children well...
Old 26th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Just saw this thread:
So my daughter threw my Mic in the toilet
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackx ➑️
Get the yamaha msp7's they have the grill over the woofer
My MSP7 don't have such thing!
Old 1st October 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Neumann kh120
Old 1st October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Doc7string - Great suggestion! Now I just have to explain to my wife why the budget has tripled.
Old 1st October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyv ➑️
Covers will colour the sound, so that's why any good monitor will not have them.
Is this actually true?

I have a pair of Yorkville YSM1 (the older ones) and they have a cloth grille that doesn't make any difference to my ears in a blind test, my girlfriend couldn't notice any difference at all too. I'm not sure if that's because our non-trained ear or it's just that cloth grilles are different to those metal covers in the woofers/tweeters.
Old 2nd October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I can hear the difference on certain speakers when removing the grilles. I would take the covers off my home theater speakers and always thought they sounded better. It is a slight difference but I can tell a subtle change in mids and highs with an increase in brightness and imaging. Never did a blind test though.

I leave the covers on now since my little one likes to poke the tweeters.
Old 10th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonovski ➑️
Is this actually true?

I have a pair of Yorkville YSM1 (the older ones) and they have a cloth grille that doesn't make any difference to my ears in a blind test, my girlfriend couldn't notice any difference at all too. I'm not sure if that's because our non-trained ear or it's just that cloth grilles are different to those metal covers in the woofers/tweeters.
Absolutely, My brother in law has a Klipsch pro media 2.1 PC speaker setup, it sounds a bit muddy with the speaker grills on the satellites, but take the grills off and it sounds really nice and "crisp"
Old 3rd November 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Update

I decided to get the Yamaha HS50M's. They do have a clarity that I have not found in other monitors in this price range. They were also on sale this month and I picked 'em up for $149 each.

I had a talk with my 4 year old and he seems to understand that these are special for daddy and no touchy.

Listening to my reference songs CD now and these monitors are amazing! I am hearing things in these songs that I really did not notice before especially in terms of imaging and subtle transients. Huge upgrade from my Altec Lansing computer speakers and not nearly fatiguing as listening to my AKG K240 headphones for long periods.

Not much sub-bass as I pointed out before but they have very clear mids and highs. I am thinking a sub-woofer (HS10W) might give me what I am missing?
πŸ“ Reply