Quantcast
No Video playback in Protools - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
No Video playback in Protools
Old 25th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
No Video playback in Protools

I have imported a .mov file into protools, which is about 14 seconds long. When I open the Video Window and press the spacebar to begin playback the video does not show up on the screen. But when I click and drag the mouse across the Video track the movie plays out on the screen as i drag. Why will it on play back when i press the space bar?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 25th September 2012

🎧 10 years
video online? Checked all the basics?
Old 25th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Also the fps is listed as 24 under the track name and it is in red. I don't know if the red fps is a bad thing or not.
Old 25th September 2012

🎧 10 years
Yes. It should not be red. Go into the "session" setup and change it to the correct frame rate.

Just check that the "Q" on the video channel is blue as well.
Old 25th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
How do I know what the correct frame rate should be for the video clip?
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Try 29.97, that's the typical framerate. Or you can try 30, sometimes encoders bump it up in conversion (in the event of a ripped file).
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brasco ➑️
How do I know what the correct frame rate should be for the video clip?
when you click it to import it'll tell you. Or you could just keep trying the different values until it goes "grey"
Old 10th October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I tried changing the "time code rate" in the session settings to all the different options (30fps,29fps,29 drop frame, etc). None of them fixed the blank video screen. Although when I changed the rate to 24fps to match that of the red number on the video track, it changed from red to white. I figured this must be it, but unfortunately when i tried playing the video, it was still blank. The funny thing is my buddy imported it onto his protools and it loaded up and played-back perfectly fine. Any other suggestions?
Old 10th October 2012

🎧 10 years
right. Sounds like it might be a format for which you dont have the codec. Common suspects are DivX variants and WMV (get flip for mac - assuming you're on a mac??).
Old 10th October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Yes I have an iMac. Flip? Is that just a program that converts videos to another format (QuickTime, etc)?
Old 11th October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Actually I just checked it now and it is a .mov Quicktime movie..... i am at a loss. why won't this video playback on protools? If I drag my mouse across the video track I can see that the frames of the video are there, but as soon as I press play, it comes up blank
Old 11th October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I have even converted the video to several other formats and tried importing it to protools and none of them will playback. i find it so strange that my friend had no trouble loading the same video and playing it on his computer with Protools
Old 11th October 2012 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brasco ➑️
Actually I just checked it now and it is a .mov Quicktime movie..... i am at a loss. why won't this video playback on protools? If I drag my mouse across the video track I can see that the frames of the video are there, but as soon as I press play, it comes up blank
what frame rate, what PT (is it 9??)

Again - check its not in a PC format - in which case you might need flip for mac (this is a system which converts the PC byte ordering into Mac format_)
Old 12th October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I can't seem to check the frame rate but you might be right because my friends protools is on PC and mine is on Mac. Pro tools 9
Old 12th October 2012

🎧 10 years
try flip for mac then. It's free.
Old 21st October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Can someone drop me a link for flip for Mac I'm having trouble finding it
Old 23rd October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
So i Tried using Flip4mac and converting it, but nothing changed. I have no problem watching the video on quicktime but as soon as it is imported into my session it plays back blank. I can see it in the video region and i can see the video frames as i click on different points in the videos timeline, but it will not playback. Any other possibilities?
Old 23rd October 2012

🎧 10 years
hmm. I'm at a loss (just double check the video is online). Sounds like it must be some conflict - is QT open separately?
πŸ“ Reply