Quantcast
Soundcard vs audio interface - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundcard vs audio interface
Old 24th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Soundcard vs audio interface

I saw some people telling audio interface is way better than any sound card. But still I see m-audio and other sound card still popular. I can't make my opinion.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I guess you mean the difference between a built in audio interface and a usb- or firewire-audio interface.

My experience is that a built in card is more stable.
If it's for a desktop I'd say, go for it.
Especially if you want to work with a lot of audiotracks.
The card I have I bought 5 years ago and now sits in the second PC.
I also got a usb-interface that is not reliable and has less options, no software mixer etc.

It's not hard to put it in, read the computer's and the soundcard's manual before you start.
And read a lot before you decide what card.
I ain't got experience with more expensive stuff though.

Good luck
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by apartment dog ➑️
I guess you mean the difference between a built in audio interface and a usb- or firewire-audio interface.

My experience is that a built in card is more stable.
If it's for a desktop I'd say, go for it.
Especially if you want to work with a lot of audiotracks.
The card I have I bought 5 years ago and now sits in the second PC.
I also got a usb-interface that is not reliable and has less options, no software mixer etc.

It's not hard to put it in, read the computer's and the soundcard's manual before you start.
And read a lot before you decide what card.
I ain't got experience with more expensive stuff though.

Good luck
My experience is with a onboard sound card. Then I switch to a asio sound blaster, din't have much problems except the metronome recorning in the track. And a Focustire Scarlett 2i2, and the SB have lower latency for 1/2 the price vs the focusrite. I guess the usb sound card will not eat up the cpu and have better performance, but no. So I am wondering what they are talking about.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
When people say a built in (for instance PCI or PCI-e card) soundcard they mean a dedicated audio soundcard you buy for tracking, mixing etc.
Not the card that goes with the PC or the card you can buy at the pc-shop.
My english is not so good, so I can't say it better.

If you want to improve the sound and latency etc; buy a dedicated PCI-e card
(pci-e for current systems)
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
well a pci-e card will have less latency because its connected directly to the motherboard so no cables. what i would like to do is own an rme pce express card then have 8 mic pres added to it via adat. then its a complete interface. aswell as have a few ins and outs.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

13 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Us geek slutz would define:
Soundcard = as being either an "on Board" as in built into the mother board, sound chip or a PCI ( e) card used for upgrading PC playback for gaming and home entertainment playback of surround sound.

Audio Interface = A professional audio device either PCI (e) , USB or Firewire used for audio recording and playback.

Most all USB and Firewire interfaces are for pro use with the exception of any that do not come supplied with proper ASIO drivers. The drivers are the most important part of a pro set up.

The grey area is with PCI cards as it is sometimes hard to define the difference between pro and a gaming card. Sound blaster is a good example. They do claim to be good for audio but few have ever had good luck using one with a professional DAW set up. Main reason being the drivers are poorly written.
It's not hard to figure out which is which, Buy your Audio interface from a music retailer, buy your PC gaming card from a computer store.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by teghom ➑️
I saw some people telling audio interface is way better than any sound card. But still I see m-audio and other sound card still popular. I can't make my opinion.
Meaning it's better than the stock soundcard that comes with ur computer. An interface is an external soundcard that also routes audio. Alot of times people usethe two terms Interchangeably
Old 24th July 2017
Here for the gear

so A Tascam US-42 is essentially an outboard sound card that communicates via USB. ??
The reason I ask is, I am new to all of this and have that tascam but dont know if I need a sound card or now
πŸ“ Reply