Quantcast
What headphones are best for recording female vocals? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What headphones are best for recording female vocals?
Old 23rd September 2012
  #1
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
What headphones are best for recording female vocals?

My headphones broke and I need to get new ones, but I don't know what to get.
I want to get something that really sounds good for recording my vocals but I don't want to spend more than $50.
I'm really stuck here
Old 23rd September 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
frans's Avatar
 
10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Go to a music store and try the headphones in your price range.
Old 23rd September 2012
  #3
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosielombo00 ➡️
My headphones broke and I need to get new ones, but I don't know what to get.
I want to get something that really sounds good for recording my vocals but I don't want to spend more than $50.
I'm really stuck here
Hello Rosie,
If you can strech you budget to $99.95 with shipping included, I am sure you would like the Sennheiser HD280 headphones.
They are professional headphones that sound great, and are great for recording because they do not leak sound out.
I have 2 pairs of these, and many other pairs of headphones...
I always grab for these as first choice for tracking.

Sennheiser HD 280 PRO | Sweetwater.com

Good luck!
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Slikjmuzik's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti ➡️
Hello Rosie,
If you can strech you budget to $99.95 with shipping included, I am sure you would like the Sennheiser HD280 headphones.
They are professional headphones that sound great, and are great for recording because they do not leak sound out.
I have 2 pairs of these, and many other pairs of headphones...
I always grab for these as first choice for tracking.

Sennheiser HD 280 PRO | Sweetwater.com

Good luck!
These are my favorite for tracking just about anyone. Never cared for 7506's, but that's just me. Shure has come out with some cool ones that sound good, but their top end is a little brighter than the HD280's. For me the Sennheiser HD 280 Pros are the best bang for the buck.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #5
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik ➡️
These are my favorite for tracking just about anyone. Never cared for 7506's, but that's just me. Shure has come out with some cool ones that sound good, but their top end is a little brighter than the HD280's. For me the Sennheiser HD 280 Pros are the best bang for the buck.
I have a pair of the 7506 phones too...I like them, but compared to the HD280they seem a little cheaper build quality, and cost the same amount.
I think the 7506 are a bit more natual sounding, but I kind of like the full bass and a little more upper mids of the HD280 in comparison.
If the Shure phones are even brighter, yeah, I don't think I would want any more top end brittle than the HD280 has.
If I have to ever replace tracking phones, or get more, I will just get the HD280's without putting any thought into it.
A coupple years ago I was at Gearfest at Sweetwater, and for a limited time during the event, they were selling the HD280 for $50.
I was tempted, but then I was like..I already have 9 headphones...do I really need more?
Well, I showed restraint, but since then I had a pair of 7506 phones blow out one of the cups on a metal band that came in to record....I don't think the HD280 would have popped...I should have got at least 1 pair on a great deal.
Old 24th September 2012
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Lotus 7's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosielombo00 ➡️
...I want to get something that really sounds good for recording my vocals but I don't want to spend more than $50.
I'm really stuck here
Most recording engineers and singers actually use microphones to record vocals. Singing into a headphone (connected to a mic input) will actually work in a pinch, but it really sounds crappy. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously, keeping to a strict $50 limit:

No. 1 choice: Audio Technica ATH-M30 (around $40)
Comfortable, great sound at this price point, sturdy, clean mid-range works well for vocals, good isolation for tracking.

No. 2 Choice: AKG K44 Good sound, decent build quality, rock bottom price (available for as low as $35)

No. 3 choice: Beyerdynamic DT-235 (about $41-47)
Good sound, lightweight, fairly comfortable if your head is not too large and the white ones look really cool on a female.

Presumably, you're using the phones for overdubbing your vocal tracks. If so, stay with a closed-back set of phones. Open-back phones can cause "bleed-through" of your music tracks, so should be avoided for recording.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 5345 views: 1188994
Avatar for SaschaP
SaschaP 1 week ago
replies: 17 views: 10512
Avatar for Raddler
Raddler 1st September 2010
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump