Quantcast
Fitting Vocals into an already mixed track - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fitting Vocals into an already mixed track
Old 22nd September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Fitting Vocals into an already mixed track

I am recording and mixing a first demo for a colab project I have as a singer with another musician.
Only having roughly a year of experience behind the controls of a studio I have run into I slight problem I'm hoping someone could help me with.

The problem is that the only thing I've got to work with one already mixed instrumental track and the vocals tracks I've recorded in my own studio. This being the case I'm not having any issues getting the parts sounding great, but integrating the vocals with the instrumental part have been proven a challenge I'm having a hard time dealing with.
As it is now you can quite clearly hear that the vocals are "glued on" and I'm running out of tricks to fix it.

I'm using Studio One 2 producer with all its included plug-ins.
Any tips and/or ideas regarding this would be much appreciated.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
You can't really mix a mixed stereo track. You need the multitracks of the instrumental music, and mix it together with the vocals. There are no shortcuts for this.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoxius ➡️
I am recording and mixing a first demo for a colab project I have as a singer with another musician.
Only having roughly a year of experience behind the controls of a studio I have run into I slight problem I'm hoping someone could help me with.

The problem is that the only thing I've got to work with one already mixed instrumental track and the vocals tracks I've recorded in my own studio. This being the case I'm not having any issues getting the parts sounding great, but integrating the vocals with the instrumental part have been proven a challenge I'm having a hard time dealing with.
As it is now you can quite clearly hear that the vocals are "glued on" and I'm running out of tricks to fix it.

I'm using Studio One 2 producer with all its included plug-ins.
Any tips and/or ideas regarding this would be much appreciated.
Sounds like you're in a mixtape situation.

You have to manipulate the instrumental in a way to make a bit of a hole for your vocals to sit in. I typically use a stereo imager and widen the track just a bit and plop the vox right in the middle and EQ to fit in.

Sometimes you'll need to use a limiter to get the vocals to sit in the right spot if the instrumental track is already limited.
Old 24th September 2012
RiF
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I am sorry to say that, but I will be more than a challenge to fit a vocal into a premixed backing track. Usually it goes the other way round: Make the vocals sound good (if it's a vocal centric tune) and then mix everything else around.
I never got it to work this way (and I've tried...).

But if you have to deal with what you've got, my approach would be to NOT try the impossible to glue the vocals into the mix but to envision a final mix where the vocals HAVE TO sound a bit disconnected to the track. You'll have to think out-of-the-box, but it might help.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
You could try using a multiband compressor. What you do is stick it over the backing track and only enable the high mid band. Then trigger that band from the vocal, ducking/sidechaining the high mids of the mix out of the way to make a hole for your vocal to slip into. Obviously tune the width of the high mid band to taste as the vocal.
📝 Reply