Limiting and Low End - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Limiting and Low End
Old 21st September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Limiting and Low End

Hey guys,

Quick question about limiting. My signal chain is as follows: EQ->Compressor->EQ->Limiter. When I activate the limiter, I lose all low end that I have added in my EQ settings. Why is this? And how can I achieve a really big and energetic kick while keeping it from peaking AND losing no low end? Thanks guys!
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
where does this signal chain happen on the master or on a track? plus i dont see why you need 2 eqs. try removing the second one.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well if you've boosted the LF on the first EQ then the Comp is compressing the loudest parts which would be the LF.

Then if you boost LF on the second EQ then the limiter is limiting the loudest parts which would be LF.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
yeah, if you're pushing the bottom end and it happens to become the loudest part, you'll end up compressing and limiting it in the end more than anything else in the mix since its the loudest.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzu ➑️
...i dont see why you need 2 eqs. try removing the second one.
Generally speaking, EQ>Compressor>EQ is pretty common. Shape the tone hitting the comp, then shape it again after the comp changes it.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Some compressors such as Cytomic The Glue have a hipass option that lets low frequency content pass without processing. Preserves bass pretty well.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Lose the chains. Why would you eq a bass twice anyways? N why compress the bass and limit the bass? N is this live bass or a sample? Seems like a lot of processing.
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackx ➑️
Lose the chains. Why would you eq a bass twice anyways? N why compress the bass and limit the bass? N is this live bass or a sample? Seems like a lot of processing.
-->cause the compressor will change the tonal sound...to get the sound "back" its common to use a second eq!

cheers
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I know that I do as we'll. not really on bass though, really no need unless you got some nasty frequencies in there. Still don't see the need to compress twice. Or add a limiter to it if that's what he's saying he's doing.

What I was really asking for is because people tend to "use everything that's common to use" on ever single sound in their mix and keep "the chain" going. I really wanted to see if he had a purpose for using what he was using. Honestly I had a track last week where the bass was over powering and kinda plain and in the very low 60hz. I was thinking eq, compress, eq again etc. I added Maxxbass to it first to hopefully smoothen it out and bring it out more without all the power in 60hz. After Maxxbass I didn't even need eq or compression or anything anymore. It sat perfect and cleared up everything. Made it noticeable with out being so loud and up front. Point is use your ears to see what you need don't just chain everything.
Old 7th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I was trying a technique on an actual kick drum, not a bass. Was more curious as to why this was happening. I now understand the concept of losing the low end based on Manfrensengensen's answer. I was compressing what I was turning up in the EQ's. Thanks for all of your input guys!
πŸ“ Reply