Quantcast
Exciter "Aphex Big Bottom" plug-in equivalent? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Exciter "Aphex Big Bottom" plug-in equivalent?
Old 21st September 2012
  #1
Gear Head
 
Plasticine's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Exciter "Aphex Big Bottom" plug-in equivalent?

Hi guys!

Does anybody know another plug-in similar to the exciter "Big Bottom" released by Aphex?

Your help is much appreciated!

Pier
Old 21st September 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
krushing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Avid actually do a licensed plugin version of the Big Bottom, but it's naturally Pro Tools only.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #3
Gear Head
 
Plasticine's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by krushing ➑️
Avid actually do a licensed plugin version of the Big Bottom, but it's naturally Pro Tools only.
Very annoying as I am using Cubase..

However, thank you for your answer!
Old 25th September 2012
  #4
Lives for gear
 
krushing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Waves MaxxBass might be an alternative. BBE also does fairly affordable plugin versions of their Sonic Maximizer products...and there are some other exciter plugins around as well, try googling for "exciter vst" or something like that.
Old 7th April 2015
  #5
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
I love that plugin Aphex Big Bottom.

I need something like that for Logic Pro
Old 7th April 2015
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Scooter Trash's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Try the free Antress Modern Exciter. - It doesn't have tunable low like the Aphex, but it might work for ya.
Old 8th April 2015
  #7
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
BBE/Nomad Sonic Maximizer and Mach 3 Bass
Waves LoAir
Refuse Lowender
None of them is exactly like the Aphex ('cause they have proprietary algo)
but close enough
Old 8th April 2015
  #8
Gear Head
 
chanepic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Little Labs VOG either HW or Plugin.
Old 9th April 2015
  #9
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticine ➑️
Hi guys!

Does anybody know another plug-in similar to the exciter "Big Bottom" released by Aphex?

Your help is much appreciated!

Pier

I'd say BBE MACH 3 BASS

Similar functions (3 Nobs)

Bass - Freq Set - Response
Old 12th April 2015
  #10
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Yeah...

Waves LoAir adds sub harmonics
Waves MaxBass synthesize upper harmonics, to give the illusion of a bigger bottom
Waves Vitamin is a multiband harmonic enhancer type of plugin, so you can process bands independently.

Yeah, okay so I happen to like Waves stuff :P

Never buy their stuff at full price though. Their sales are usually mad enough to make them worthwhile waiting for.
Old 12th April 2015
  #11
Gear Addict
 
fivepoundmusic's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Boz Digital Bark of Dog (free)

Brainworx BX_Boom (free)
Old 12th April 2015
  #12
Lives for gear
 
raz_klinghoffer's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Don't know the Big Bottom, try demoing Vitamin it has a nice low end
Old 14th April 2015
  #13
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quite a few suggestions here. Demo them all and see what gets you close to your desired effect.
Old 16th October 2015
  #14
Lives for gear
 
JblKid95's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Hey i really like the plugin for big bottom. Does the hardware sound like the plugin? I know it sounds like a stupid question but I want to be able to use it in logic. Thinking of buying the Hardware if it does what that plugin is doing. Thanks!
Old 22nd October 2015
  #15
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
I'd imagine it should, but would be hard to know for sure unless you are forum are enough to have both.
Old 27th June 2018
  #16
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
BBE Harmonic Maximizer is EXACTLY the same as Aphex Aural Exciter C with Big Bottom- same controls, same sound. Your search is over.
Old 18th November 2018 | Show parent
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilslade ➑️
BBE Harmonic Maximizer is EXACTLY the same as Aphex Aural Exciter C with Big Bottom- same controls, same sound. Your search is over.
Hey Neils, great, so it's that close ??

I'm also a big fan of the Aphex PT bundle, and Looking for a good alternative for Cubase !!
It's ****ty to do continous back and forth between DAWs..

I'll try the BBE bundle (I have the Sonic Maximizer hardware, good but not the same, I knlw the other plugins are different).

Felix
Old 19th November 2018
  #18
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
BBE and Repear

I used Aphex Aural C hardware for years- the BBE suite will do everything you need with exactly the same results. I've used the harmonic maximizer and it duplicates the Aural C perfectly, I sold my hardware C last year and no longer needed it. As for DAW, I switched to Reaper many years ago and have had the best results in the world, after using Cubase, Sonar, and Adobe. I still use Audition for an editor with Reaper to modify waveforms when needed. My friends use Cubase, Protools, Logic- and I come up with the best recordings and mixes, consistently. I have 20 original CDs to my credit, I'm 64 years old and a professional for 40 years. Reaper lacks nothing of importance. Don't let it's ridiculously low price fool you- it's totally pro. Some snobs will disagree, but from my perspective, it's all you need to create the best recordings possible. More important is skill and talent- but that being said, it's very powerful and very intuitive. I rarely need to delve into the manual. Give it a shot for 90 days- free- you'll be sold on it. I use all of the major plugins with it, it is SO EASY to set up plugins- unlike Cubase, which is a total pain in the ass. I've never had any real issues with it at all, and my mixes often run into 50+ tracks.
Old 20th November 2018 | Show parent
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilslade ➑️
I used Aphex Aural C hardware for years- the BBE suite will do everything you need with exactly the same results. I've used the harmonic maximizer and it duplicates the Aural C perfectly, I sold my hardware C last year and no longer needed it. As for DAW, I switched to Reaper many years ago and have had the best results in the world, after using Cubase, Sonar, and Adobe. I still use Audition for an editor with Reaper to modify waveforms when needed. My friends use Cubase, Protools, Logic- and I come up with the best recordings and mixes, consistently. I have 20 original CDs to my credit, I'm 64 years old and a professional for 40 years. Reaper lacks nothing of importance. Don't let it's ridiculously low price fool you- it's totally pro. Some snobs will disagree, but from my perspective, it's all you need to create the best recordings possible. More important is skill and talent- but that being said, it's very powerful and very intuitive. I rarely need to delve into the manual. Give it a shot for 90 days- free- you'll be sold on it. I use all of the major plugins with it, it is SO EASY to set up plugins- unlike Cubase, which is a total pain in the ass. I've never had any real issues with it at all, and my mixes often run into 50+ tracks.
Thanks Neils,
I got the info, I tried the bundle and indeed, true that it does quite well the thing. It's not exactly the same, doesn't sound exactly the same, and doesn't have much parameters, but the entire bundle works enough to make quick fixes with good results, especially the combination of all. The latest version at least.

Cubase is my home, so perfect for me, but thanks for the info !

F.
Old 20th November 2018
  #20
Lives for gear
 
EvilRoy's Avatar
 
Haha! Weird that people react in horror at the mention of analog Aphex. " My Gawd! It adds distortion!" yet the plugs are cool.

I've used a C2 since new and love it. Can't remember why I got it over BBE, probably cheaper at the time. I do know that even though they're both exciters, analog BBE and Apex achieve their results in different ways. I don't think BBE had a Big Bottom equivalent which is my favorite use of the C2. I adds low end not present in the original signal. Why not just buy a box? Cheap as chips now.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 55 views: 32073
Avatar for IM WHO YOU THINK
IM WHO YOU THINK 13th October 2020
replies: 32 views: 12224
Avatar for charlieclouser
charlieclouser 10th June 2021
replies: 1296 views: 181389
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
replies: 127 views: 17211
Avatar for KrmazzakR
KrmazzakR 19th February 2021
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump