Quantcast
Roland Fantom X6 will not midi sync as slave? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland Fantom X6 will not midi sync as slave?
Old 19th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Roland Fantom X6 will not midi sync as slave?

Hi, i'm a long time lurker, first time poster.

I've been wrestling with this problem on and off for years now. I have a Roland Fantom X6 which I want to use to record arpeggios and rhythms in sync with a Zoom MRS-4, a rudimentary digital 4-track which transmits a midi clock signal. I have used the MRS-4 to sync with other midi devices i have, such as drum machines, so i know its signal should be fine. I have never gotten the fantom to sync as midi slave.

I just performed a new system wipe on the fantom, and in the Sync/Tempo settings i configured Sync Mode as SLAVE-MIDI.

(1) with the MRS-4 idling and no clock signal on the midi line, if i set up the fantom's metronome to always click it will click at the fantom's default rate and the arpeggio tool will indeed generate arpeggios at that rate.

(2) once i hit play on the MRS-4 and it begins to generate a midi clock signal, the metronome on the fantom will stop and the arpeggio tool will no longer function.

What i need to happen is for the fantom to receive the MRS-4 midi clock (or any midi clock generator for that matter, this has happened using protools 8 or an akai xr-20 drum machine as midi clock source as well) and have its internal tempo line up with the MRS-4. I expect the metronome and arpeggio tool to synchronize with the metronome on the MRS-4.

Please, what am i doing wrong??? I've tried entering Record mode before hitting play on the MRS-4, it doesnt seem to make a difference. I am currently in Patch/Rhythm mode. I'd like to use the arpeggio tool in real time, such as for performances or to record onto the MRS-4.

ps i know the mrs-4 is like 20 years old. i just like it
Old 20th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Update

I connected the Fantom to my laptop using MIDI over USB.

- I configured Ableton Live to receive a MIDI Sync signal from the Fantom's USB MIDI connection. I configured the Fantom's Sync Mode as Master and turned Sync Output on. I was able to see the tempo ticking in Ableton, exactly as it should.

- Next, I configured Ableton Live to transmit MIDI Sync signal to the Fantom's USB MIDI connection. I then configured the Fantom's Sync Mode as SLAVE MIDI and turned Sync Output off. With Fantom set to SLAVE MIDI, arpeggio no longer worked. Changing Fantom to Master, arpeggio once again works as expected.

Whenever my Fantom receives a MIDI clock signal, it's tempo stops working and so does everything associated with it. What am I missing? Does anyone out there have a Fantom X6 7 or 8 than can just double check what I did and see if its MY Fantom, or tell me if I'm doing something wrong with my setup, or if Roland Fantom's just don't work in this way?
Old 20th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Update #2

New update:

I set up the Fantom to receive MIDI over USB, and set it as SLAVE MIDI. I then configured Ableton Live to transmit MIDI Track, Sync, and Remote. The Fantom's arpeggios still did not work. I then hit the Play button in Ableton, and the arpeggio feature worked!! This is wonderful, BUT...

(1) How would this work in a live performance situation? If I don't want to use Ableton or Protools or anything else with a Play button, what do I do?

(2) I still can't use my Zoom MRS-4 to record, nor can I configure the drum machine to act as MIDI master clock. Is there a way?
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Does this have a MTC setting instead of midi?
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just looked at the download manual at Roland. Look at page 227 and look at midi clock, sync on/off and arpeggio sync on/off.
Old 20th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Jeff

Thanks for the reply and for looking into this. I have read the manual, but unfortunately it doesn't appear that the Arp/Rhythm Sync Switch setting does anything at all in this situation. It's almost as though, once it starts receiving MIDI clock sync signals from the MRS-4, the Fantom doesn't have a tempo whatsoever!...

Additionally, it appears as though either the MRS-4 does not transmit MTC commands or the Fantom doesn't recognize them at all when its Sync Mode is set to SLAVE MTC.

Thanks again for looking into this!
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Good luck and hope you figure this one out. This stuff can drive a person insane!

Jeff
Old 21st February 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Jeff (and anyone else who has been lurking)

I FINALLY decided to reach out directly to Roland Product Support. Within two days they replied to my email:

"
Hello David,

We have succesfully set this up on our side - we used the MIDI output of a Fantom-G (set as the Master) connected to the MIDI input of the Fantom-X (set as SLAVE-MIDI), and the arpeggiator does play back correctly synchronized with the Fantom-G clock.

One setting you should check is the USB MODE setting in the Fantom-X. If this is set for "MIDI" then this is most likely your problem. This needs to be set to "STORAGE" when you are sending a MIDI signal into the MIDI IN jack on the back of the Fantom-X. Please check this setting and see if it works after being set to "STORAGE."

Best Regards,

Product Support
Roland Corp. U.S.
"

SURE ENOUGH, I had USB set to MIDI this whole time! Once I switched USB to STORAGE, the Fantom played arpeggios at my KP3's tempo BEAUTIFULLY!

I can't express how grateful I am that Roland got back to me, so quickly, with a clear and concise answer that solved my problem. A++++ support from them.
πŸ“ Reply