Quantcast
Advice on arranging a pop song??? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice on arranging a pop song???
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Advice on arranging a pop song???

This may seem like an odd question - but I normally mix straight ahead rock tunes. Guitars, bass, drums, keys, etc. I've written a song that is very "pop" sounding (Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, Madonna, etc) and I honestly haven't got a clue how to arrange what I'm hearing in my head. I have EZDrummer, Addictive Drums, Kontakt (various libraries) Reason 4 and Sonar X1 (with it's included instruments). So I wanted to see if anyone here with experience in that genre could offer up some advice on how to take a song from, say, Alanis Morissette (which I can do) to Lady Gaga? I just seldom ever listen to that kind of music, so I'm trying to YouTube as much as I can. But when I get in Sonar and start creating it just sounds stupid!! Any help would be appreciated!!
Old 19th September 2012

๐ŸŽง 10 years
If it were me I would just go directly to some of the songs/artists/mixes I wanted to emulate, and use them as references when composing and/or mixing.
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 5 years
i think you need to be more specific with what you want to acheive. the previous poster is essentially right. those typical tunes have alot of synths. electronic dance beats and lots of pads (by pads i mean washes of sounds) also autotuned vocals intentionally. i think the best way to get from alinis morissete is to listen to some dance and recent hip hop take the beats and flip them on there head. autotune the vocals intentionally so you hear where it changes. have a verse chorus thing going on with a cheesy middle 8. loud bass sounds. maybe hipass filter kind of stuff for the dance elements. maybe a real drum kit with the beats that sometimes works. or get a drummer and put drum triggers over it so you get the feel of a drummer but its replaced by electronic beats. possibilities are endless. hence why i think you should be more specific.
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Nut

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Layers upon layers & layers upon other layers of (literally) stuff.
Ear candy is another element throughout the track...riffs/fills or some kind of vocal fills, that pop out to keep the listener on the edge of their seat.
Vocal arrangements are just as important.
A catchy as hell hook, or two, or more (you get the drift).
Chopped up samples to 'beef' up parts
Breakdown choruses etc etc.

They will sound a bit flat & empty when you start the arrangements.

There was a thread on here with Dr Lukes (or was it Max Martins ) track list, it was crazy!
You shouldnt have any problem with the tools you have.

Anyway, thats my 0.23 cents lol
Old 19th September 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Pop music has taken on a Dance/Club feel to it recently. Going from Rock to Club music is a large leap. My advice: Learn all that you can from pop music and integrate it with what you are already doing. Don't think too much about how you want it to sound because it will almost never sound like how it is in your head.
๐Ÿ“ Reply