Quantcast
Bridged Mode - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bridged Mode
Old 19th September 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Bridged Mode

Hey i'm still kind of new, but I have a Carver 1000w power amp. Currently it's only 500w because I only use stereo. The owners manual say that it's 1000w in bridged mode, but I don't know how to use bridged mode. It has banana plugs on the outputs. I use a cord that converts the banana plugs into 1/4 inch after that it's going into two Yamaha club speakers. Any help is appreciated.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Like many current PA power amplifiers, most Carver models can be operated in "bridged" mode. That means that instead of a stereo (2-channel) amplifier running X watts out of two channels, the amp is connected as a mono (one-channel) amplifier producing 2X watts on one channel.

You can run the Carver in bridged (mono) mode, but it will only be a mono amp. You won't be able to drive your speakers in stereo (unless you add a second amplifier). Depending on the rated impedance of your speakers, you might be able to run both speakers on the single channel for PA purposes.

If your Carver is the M1.0T, it is a 1000W stereo amplifier (2 channels of 500 watts each into 4 ohms). Running it in bridged mode does not increase the total power, it just puts all the available power into one channel instead or half the power into each of two channels. In bridged mono mode the "1kW" Carver should not be used with speaker impedances of less than 8 ohms. That could be (2) identical 4 ohm speakers connected in series.

The Carver manuals include very clear instructions for running the amp as a one channel device.

See manual excerpt attached below:
Attached Thumbnails
Bridged Mode-picture-1.jpg  
Old 23rd September 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Oh ok when I thought of stereo I thought of it having the ability to pan, but now I know it's when there are 2 speakers. So basically if it's in bridged mode it combines the power of the two outputs and makes that go into one speaker?
Old 23rd September 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Yes, BUT that speaker MUST have an impedance of 8 ohms (?) or greater. If it is less, you'll overdrive the amp and either burn it out, or you'll damage the speaker because of clipping in the signal at the amp.
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME16510 โžก๏ธ
Oh ok when I thought of stereo I thought of it having the ability to pan, but now I know it's when there are 2 speakers. So basically if it's in bridged mode it combines the power of the two outputs and makes that go into one speaker?
In Stereo mode you have essentially the same total power (500 watts times 2 = 1000 watts) as you have in bridged mode (1000 watts times 1=1000 watts) . The only difference is that all of that power is in (1) channel, so stereo is impossible. The total sound pressure level produced is not any louder, and in fact, if all the power is applied to one speaker it may be less loud than having half the power applied to to (2) speakers because of the dynamic compression than occurs in speakers that are being driven to their maximum level.

The speaker load impedance limit depends on the particular amplifier. For your 1kW Carver, it can drive (2) 4 ohm speakers on independent channels or (1) 8 ohm speaker OR (2) 4 ohm speakers connected in series on (1) channel.

Some amplifiers are designed for higher current loads and can drive a 4 ohm speaker load even in bridged mode. It depends entirely on the amplifier design.

Unless you have a second amplifier for your second channel, or you are willing to only listen to your music in mono, there is absolutely no reason for you to consider using your amplifier in bridged mode.
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…