Quantcast
SDC shootout for classical guitar - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SDC shootout for classical guitar
Old 8th November 2014
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Yes, might be good to post the key.

My favorite is 5, followed by 3 and 2. Something about 7 struck me as off, but I can't quite put my ear on it.

Would also like the key, please.
Old 8th November 2014
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Can someone with the key send it to me by pm, please ?

Thanks a lot ;-)
Old 10th November 2014
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Key and conclusion

Hi there,

Yeah, I guess that, after more than two years, it's time to wrap this thing up (from my side, at least).

First, here's the key for those still stumbling upon this thread:

1. Behringer B5
2. Neumann KM184
3. AKG SE300b body with CK93 hypercardioid capsule
4. Sennheiser e614
5. Beyerdynamic MC930
6. Rode NT55
7. Studio Projects C4 MKII

I noticed that many of you people mentioned the Beyers as a favorite. They were my first choice for classical guitar and lute as well. Warm and smooth. For choirs and overhead they fall short to the Neumanns, which have higher definition and are less colored.

The B5's are okay to brighten things up if really needed (like a dull sounding, boomy western guitar with old strings), but in general I found them to sound too thin to use for any serious project.

The hypercardioid AKG's may sound a little boring, but I have found use for them in many close miking situation either live or in the studio.

The e614: though their overall sound may be surprising for this application, they simple produce too much noise and their output is too low for recording nylon guitar.

I never liked the Rodes. In my ears, there's always a nasty harshness in anything I ever recorded with them. Owned the NT4 as well, same story.

And then, The C4s. At first, I was really enthusiastic about them. A good all-rounder as far as sound is concerned, lots of buck for the money and very versatile. However, I have had a lot of problems with them. They're very sensitive to moisture, and after a while one of them started humming. The quality of the threading is also really bad. My recommendation: don't buy them.

Of course, all of the above is just my opinion which isn't worth more than anyone else's.

Well this is it. Indeed, I don't owe any of these mics anymore. Sorry to disappoint you, I never found a miracle microphone that could replace all the mics I had (and they were many). I simply quit recording professionally recently and sold them all. All you recording folks out there, please take good care of your ears. I didn't and now I'm stuck with a 24/7 tone in my head that doesn't belong there.

Thank you all for the responses to this thread either via the forum and e-mail. It took some effort to set this whole thing up but I'm happy to see that some people found it useful and I hope it may have helped some to choose the right mic (or at least avoid buying the wrong one ;-)

Cheers from the Netherlands,

Ton
Old 12th November 2014
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Thanks a lot for the key !

I'm glad that i prefered the Beyer wich i seriously consider buying as a main classical pair (guitar and piano). The neumannn, i rated them behind the beyer so that's quite what i think even if they are really good mics and superior to all others (except beyers).
The only surprise for me here is the c4 which are nice even if the noise issue is a problem for me.

I'm quite pleased that the blind test was coherent with what i think so that was really helpful ! Thanks again.
I would only wish you had the Line audio Cm3 which i currently use, to compare to the beyers and to see if i had to upgrade.
Old 24th December 2014
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
I like 7>5>4>2>1>3>6 in best to less good order ... Didn't look at the key if there is any...
๐Ÿ“ Reply