Digital Out on Keyboard... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Digital Out on Keyboard...
Old 12th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Digital Out on Keyboard...

Hey everyone,

in looking at my Yamaha MO8, I forgot about the digital out it has (via s/pdif). If I hooked that up to my interface (m audio profire 2626), would I plug the s/pdif out of the keyboard into the profire 2626 s/pdif in? or s/pdif out?

Then, once that's plugged in, I could remove the line inputs plugged into the L and R outputs on the keyboard, that are going to channels 1 and 2 on the 2626, right?

I am using the piano sound from the keyboard and recording it as an audio file and not as midi so I'd assume the sound would then be sent digitally over s/pdif.

Then would I have to set the profire 2626 as the master and the keyboard as a slave?
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmartin1364 ➡️
Hey everyone,

in looking at my Yamaha MO8, I forgot about the digital out it has (via s/pdif). If I hooked that up to my interface (m audio profire 2626), would I plug the s/pdif out of the keyboard into the profire 2626 s/pdif in? or s/pdif out?
Outputs go to inputs. Always.

Quote:
Then, once that's plugged in, I could remove the line inputs plugged into the L and R outputs on the keyboard, that are going to channels 1 and 2 on the 2626, right?
Correct.

Quote:
I am using the piano sound from the keyboard and recording it as an audio file and not as midi so I'd assume the sound would then be sent digitally over s/pdif.

Yes, you're still gonna be recording audio as usual, it just already arrives in digital form instead of being converted from analog to digital (after being converted from digital to analog by the keyboard itself...).
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use Spdif all the time for my motif.

Mo/Motif have 24bit samples but they are converted to 16 bit for the analog outs. Then your interface converts it back to 24 bit digital.

Use Spdif and you're getting 24 bit from the keyboard with no conversion
Required. Now you got 2 more inputs open on your interface too.
📝 Reply