Quantcast
Live voc recording help? RE-11, SM58 or condenser!? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Live voc recording help? RE-11, SM58 or condenser!?
Old 11th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Live voc recording help? RE-11, SM58 or condenser!?

Hi! I'm a male vocalist with 15+ years experience singing into various mics... I've sung into Neumanns and everything down from there in the studio; live I've mostly used SM58s and most recently have really enjoyed the Rode M2. I suppose I am a tenor, and I have quite a set of pipes when I want to, and know how to use proximity to best effect (at least I think I do).

These days I'm in an alt-folk band and this weekend we're headed to an impromptu recording session in the countryside, but since the place where we'll be playing is not a proper studio and we'll be playing all at the same time in the same room (a large living room with baby grand piano), I am unsure of the mic I should be using to get as much separation as possible.

We'll be using headphone monitoring but of course there will be leakage from the drums and the acoustic guitars as well as the piano.

I was just lent an old EV RE-11, and I wanted it because of the super directional properties it has, but am unsure of whether it would suit my purposes any better than my old SM58.

I was hoping to get my hands on an RE-20 (for some of the same reasons, little off axis interference) or a SM7B, but both time and money restrictions will keep those just out of reach this session.

In your estimation, will the RE-11 serve me well?

Also, I am confused about the bass boost switch at the bottom of the thing. Which setting would be best for it to be used as a vocal mic (the upper position with the diagonal line or the horizontal line)? I've been looking online for the manual or instructions, and found them but nothing about the switch positions or when to use which one?

I know the RE-11 has a windscreen built in and is designed to be sung/spoken into very closely, but should I also be using a pop screen? What about proximity effect? Will I get that "intimate" sound the closer I go, but also be able to belt something several inches back without losing much?

Or should I just go back to the SM58? I've taken a shine to the M2 but fear that it would be way too sensitive for this application.

Whew.

As you can tell, I'm a bit frazzled and need some guidance and to know that this recording (hopefully a good demo will come out of it) will be worthwhile and that I won't be the Weakest Link!

Cheers! And I'm eagerly awaiting your replies.

Best,
Mark

theavailable.net
📝 Reply