Quantcast
How to connect Tube Amp combo to DAW? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to connect Tube Amp combo to DAW?
Old 11th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
How to connect Tube Amp combo to DAW?

Hi, Im a noob when it comes to routing so need some help, I'm going to buy a Bugera 6262 combo tube amp and I want to record my guitar on cubase, but I don't want to mic it up cause I heard there are ways to silence the speaker output of my amp by connecting a DI box input into the send of the FX loop and output of the DI box to the return of the FX loop, and then the XLR output to my audio interface, but I'm not 100% if this works. So I just need someone who has done this, or has knowledge of how to make the connections. Thank you
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nope..

If you want it to sound like the amp you won you have to mic it.
In order to capture the power section and speaker (tone) which is what you like about the amp and capturing the air around it.. You need to mic it.

I don't know the amp you have so I don't know what you were asking.
But any amp even if they say it's designed for a DI output while sound like crap if you ask me..

It would be more like a Pod type direct sound.
The amp will have to have a resistor in the amp chassis somewhere to act as the load if that speaker can be turned off. If not then you don't want to turn off or disconnect the speaker. Tube amps have to have the impedance load from the speaker if you don't want to kill your power section.

I would mic it.. If it's about volume issue. Maybe you can record your gtr DI'd into Cubase listening with an amp simulator on while tracking.
Then later when no one is around and you can mic the amp.. Reamp it with a reamp box and send that DI (without amp sim) back to amp and then mic it.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There are a few ways to do it, but tone will be compromised. The simplest way would be to come out of the FX send into a direct box. This will give you the preamp distortion, but no power amp distortion and no speaker tone, so you'd need to use a speaker simulator in your DAW to get it to sound right. You may need to plug a dummy plug into the FX return to quiet the speaker.

If you want power amp tone, you would need a speaker attenuator such as the THD hotplate. You could then go out of the THD's line out to the DAW. Again you would need a speaker simulator in your DAW to get it to sound right.

If you want one stop power amp/speaker tone, you would need an attenuator with built in speaker simulation, such as the Palmer PDI-03. But you'd have to be careful because the Palmer is only rated at 100 watts.

In all honesty, to get a halfway decent direct sound from a 120 watt amp, you're going to spend more on a speaker attenuator/speaker simulator than you would on simply purchasing a small, 5 watt recording combo, sticking it in a closet and micing it. And the 5 watt mic'd amp is still probably going to sound better.

You could also look into a software solution such as Softube's Amp Room.
Old 12th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the quick response guys, but I was surfing through youtube and I stumbled upon this

GUITAR TUTORIAL - How To Record Guitars with a Tube Amp and Impulses - YouTube

this guy doesn't use any DI box or attenuator, just connects the send of the amp to the XLR input of his audio interface and done.
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisdurairaj ➑️
GUITAR TUTORIAL - How To Record Guitars with a Tube Amp and Impulses - YouTube

this guy doesn't use any DI box or attenuator, just connects the send of the amp to the XLR input of his audio interface and done.
He's pretty much doing what others have described - recording the preamped, but non-power-amped signal to the DAW and then using a cab simulator plugin to fix it up.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by krushing ➑️
He's pretty much doing what others have described - recording the preamped, but non-power-amped signal to the DAW and then using a cab simulator plugin to fix it up.
But do you have any idea in case of COMBO amps whether will it silence the amp cab?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisdurairaj ➑️
But do you have any idea in case of COMBO amps whether will it silence the amp cab?
You have to use a box like the palmer if you want the feeling of the power section sag because you need the load on the power amp.
That's why in the video..even though he's not using the power section he says not to unplug (but he says power cable) he should have said speaker cable.
The power cable is an IEC AC cable not speaker cable big difference.

As A GTR player and audio engineer for to many years to count plus I pedal builder as my full time gig now. I hate all these things.
Don't get me wrong I use Sims for texture sometimes.. But nothing beats the a mic on an amp in a room.
Like I said before when I mix stuff (I'm doing a band right now that did this) They cut all parts DI'd and sent me all the tracks to mix. Then I just reamped and mic'd different amps for each part. It sound like they just recorded it here.
If there is totally no way you can mic because of volume then I understand..but I think you can get pretty good use out of VST amps with out as well.. and if you can't make a lot of noise why did you get a 100w amp?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey ➑️
You have to use a box like the palmer if you want the feeling of the power section sag because you need the load on the power amp.
That's why in the video..even though he's not using the power section he says not to unplug (but he says power cable) he should have said speaker cable.
The power cable is an IEC AC cable not speaker cable big difference.

As A GTR player and audio engineer for to many years to count plus I pedal builder as my full time gig now. I hate all these things.
Don't get me wrong I use Sims for texture sometimes.. But nothing beats the a mic on an amp in a room.
Like I said before when I mix stuff (I'm doing a band right now that did this) They cut all parts DI'd and sent me all the tracks to mix. Then I just reamped and mic'd different amps for each part. It sound like they just recorded it here.
If there is totally no way you can mic because of volume then I understand..but I think you can get pretty good use out of VST amps with out as well.. and if you can't make a lot of noise why did you get a 100w amp?

Well, I was "on the verge" of buying, but thanks to you guys I'm gonna have to reconsider my decision. The Bugera 6262 seems to be a monster amp, and I'm having a hard time finding 1 as good as it within the price range, the only problem was the high power, so I thought if I could silence the cab it would be perfect.
But the main point of getting that amp is the tone, and if I have to compensate that then there's no point, so I'd rather buy a lesser power output one and mic it up to record since it would sound better as you guys say.
Big thanks to all of you for helping me out.

Could you suggest some good amp combos for home recording though?
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Dennis, I have a Line 6 DT25 with the HD-500 floor board and I record with this setup. All together it was probably $1500. I know that some purist may not care for amp simulation floorboards and things of that nature, but my experience is that you can get a great recorded sound out of them. The DT25 also has an XLR on the back that has speaker simulation on it so you can record that directly into your DAW of choice if you like, or you can mic the amp. The HD-500 is a complete set up with amp types and speaker types and 100s of effects onboard and you can just record that directly into your DAW as well. I've had great luck with it and I love it playing live. I have the amp if I need it and if I don't feel like lugging it around or we have a small footprint for a stage then I brind the HD-500.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

13 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I use both a Fender Princeton and a Gibson Skylark, All tube, low watts, lot's of tone not loud. Large amps are for stage and even that's not required these day's. Good guitar tone comes thought the interaction of the Guitar/pre amp/power amp and speaker.
You should never disconnect to speaker from a tube amp without a load device attached. So you might as well mike the speaker , cause you can't really turn it off.
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrob ➑️
Dennis, I have a Line 6 DT25 with the HD-500 floor board and I record with this setup. All together it was probably $1500. I know that some purist may not care for amp simulation floorboards and things of that nature, but my experience is that you can get a great recorded sound out of them. The DT25 also has an XLR on the back that has speaker simulation on it so you can record that directly into your DAW of choice if you like, or you can mic the amp. The HD-500 is a complete set up with amp types and speaker types and 100s of effects onboard and you can just record that directly into your DAW as well. I've had great luck with it and I love it playing live. I have the amp if I need it and if I don't feel like lugging it around or we have a small footprint for a stage then I brind the HD-500.
$1500 is a tad bit too much, my budget is around $1000, I play heavy metal, and I'm having a hard time finding a decent amp for metal within that budget, the Peavey 6505+ combo & Bugera 6262 combo were the 2 I really liked, but the only problem is the volume. Guess I'll have to look into some cheaper Line 6 amps + a processor to go with it.
Old 14th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Ok I stumbled across the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60, heard a few samples, and it sounds really very good for my requirements, I may end up buying this 1 along with a processor which I'm still not sure of :/

As far is this topic is concerned I guess I'm not going to be connecting a tube amp to my DAW after all
πŸ“ Reply