Quantcast
Gain Staging with Slate VCC...im confused. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gain Staging with Slate VCC...im confused.
Old 11th September 2012
  #1
Gear Head
 
Kbrinson85's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Gain Staging with Slate VCC...im confused.

Background:
i do personal recording at home (mostly rock) and primarily use direct guitar modeling (Revalver), direct bass guitar (Sansamp BDDI), and drum VSTi's (SSD4) in Reaper. I'm more a musician than engineer so my knowledge of levels and gain staging is limited (despite reading a decent amount of popular threads on the subject).


Once i started tracking and mixing with my tracks peaking at ~-18dbs in Reaper, the results sounded pretty good. Then i purchased Slate VCC, this was months ago and i still don't think i know how to use it properly. I have never used a console in my life and 95% of my recording experience has been digital (the other 5% done on a Tascam 4-Track, lol).

I am going to throw together a short instrumental simply for the sake of mixing practice and learning to use VCC. Assume i have a full midi drum track ready to go and have multi-outed SSD 4 to Reaper.

-My first idea is to go into SSD's built-in mixer and set the faders so that each drum mic peaks at ~-18db in REAPER.

-Next, i apply VCC to each track and enable grouping. Upon playback (basic Kck/Sn,Hat beat), with the VCC input at +5 and Drive at +4, the VU meter is barely moving to -10 or so for each hit. Shouldn't it be peaking at 0?

-this is where i get lost. Once VCC is applyed do you mix solely by the VU meters in VCC and pay no mind to where REAPER's meters are peaking?

any volunteers willing to help me throughout the entire process when i need it? AIM or Skype me!
Old 11th September 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
gain staging is very important but way easier than it sounds .
Heres my saying to gain staging /
Dont clip dumb A*S

Just don't clip plugs
I have never used the VCC but usually with plugs I bring down the imput to about -10 and the output about the same.
Some plugs sound like they break up before that others don't so I start with -10 and go by ear.

Just don't clip and listen for digital artifact junk noise thats all gain staging really is.
If your using many plugs just mute them all start with the first the unmute them and repeat the process until complete .
Fairly easy let your ears guide you .
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 2519 views: 420139
Avatar for Whitecat
Whitecat 1st March 2011
replies: 2793 views: 505451
Avatar for ardis
ardis 9th September 2019
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump