Quantcast
Newbie-Friendly 'Must read' Books? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Newbie-Friendly 'Must read' Books?
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Newbie-Friendly 'Must read' Books?

I'm always a little bit paranoid that I don't have enough foundation knowledge on the basics before I get ahead of myself so I just want a nice healthy list of Books, eBooks, Websites, videos...even a post containing your own tips or advice that you think would help out a newbie...it's all good.

Feel free to recommend whatever you like, but here are the subjects I'm looking for in particular:

-Music Theory
-Songwriting
-Arrangement
-Electronic music production
-Really basic guide to simple electronics etc. for audio equipment
-Introduction to the mixdown/mastering/EQing process

Just something to read late at night when I can't start jamming away or want to give my ears a break from music Thanks in advance
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I like tutorials .
But I understand that books are better for some things . I myself miss the printed manual quit alot.
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatbeatstudio ➑️
I like tutorials .
But I understand that books are better for some things . I myself miss the printed manual quit alot.
I can probably find them online either physically or in PDF, by all means recommend one if you know it.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Of all my songwriting books only one is worth its cash, namely Jason Blume's 6 ways to ..
On the process of producing and writing there is also one E-book that I find great but dont have my iPad here now so can't remember the name. I'll chip it in later. It's concentrated around EDM.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Music Theory:
Edley's Music Theory for Practical People by Ed Roseman

Audio Recording:
Home Recording for Musicians for Dummies by Jeff Strong
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyclown ➑️
Of all my songwriting books only one is worth its cash, namely Jason Blume's 6 ways to ..
On the process of producing and writing there is also one E-book that I find great but dont have my iPad here now so can't remember the name. I'll chip it in later. It's concentrated around EDM.
Is it The Dance Music Manual? I've found this pretty good so far for the technical aspects of creating electronic music using DAWs etc.

I will definitely give that songwriting book a go though, writing lyrics is amazingly fun IMO, I try and write at least one song a day about any random subject in a randomly selected style...doesn't have to be clever just as long as it keeps me writing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainball ➑️
Is it The Dance Music Manual?
I believe it is. If it ain't I will come back and correct
Yeah I found it inspiring and good too.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Hal Leonard Pocket Music Theory
By Keith Wyatt and Carl Schroeder

Little and cheap but full of info, well written and very handy.
Old 11th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I find that the recording mags are fantastic! For gear, ideas, stories....you name it. Tape Op is my fav, but Mix, Electronic Musician and Pro Audio Review are great as well. Most of them have free subscriptions as well! Definitely check them out.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Mixing Audio: Concepts, Practices and Tools by Roey Izhaki

Well written and very helpful.
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
mixing with your mind. for tracking compressions studio setup mixing and mastering.
for music theory anything by the musicians institute. or MI.
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Focal Press publishes a lot of books with good information that even newbies can understand, and they're well priced.

On my shelf, I have Mixing Audio by Roey Izhaki and Mastering Audio: the Art and the Science by Bob Katz. Also, look into the Handbook for Sound Engineers, 4th Edition by Glen Ballou.

The Bob Katz book can be a little too technical for the beginner, but there are certainly some concepts that even the noob can identify and understand. As you learn more, there's certainly more and more information that will make a lot more sense in there.
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I read:
Mixing with Your Mind by Michael Stavrou
Mastering Audio by Bob Katz
Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio by Mike Senior.

All were helpful, but the most practical for me was definitely Mixing Secrets...

It teaches you to mix following a system, so you never get stuck thinking "what do I do now to achieve 'x'?" because you are simply following a formula. It's been a huge help to me in getting better mixdowns. I think the only thing to mention is that for electronic music, like I make, you have to apply any creative processing to your individual tracks separately first, then apply the techniques discussed in the book purely to mix down the multitrack. I find printing these fx to audio prior to mixing, then opening a new project with the multitrack as pure audio (rather than having any live VSTs) is a good way to separate the two.

Sent from my HTC Desire
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Basics and Introduction

Tweak's Guide to the Home and Project Studio - Starts from square one with everything from signal flow to electronics and cables to digital audio and recording and is very expansive

Post Production and Live sound

Welcome to Audio School Online - Covers everything from drum micing to full mixdown sessions. Literally the next best thing to sitting in the studio with one of the best out there.

PensadosPlace's channel - YouTube - another invaluable resource, probably couldn't adequately describe how great this channel is, check it out you will NOT be disappointed.

Yamaha Sound Reinforcement handbook 2nd Edition - Gary Davis, Ralph Jones

Digital Recording, The Art And Sience Of Mastering Audio - Bob Katz

Mixing Audio - Concepts Practices and Tools - Roey_Izhak

Mixing with your Mind - Michael Paul Stavrou

Digital Recording, The Art And Sience Of Mastering Audio - Bob Katz

Music Theory

Home Page

tonal resources for the creative musician
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
"Master Handbook of Acoustics" by Alton Everest is the bible for understanding how to build and treat your studio rooms, but it might seem overwhelming for those who aren't at home with a lot of math. He leaves out the basics if acoustic architecture and calculus and gets straight to the problems in laymen's terms.

A simpler, quicker approach is "How to Build a Small Budget Recording Studio from Scratch, by the same author. If you grasp the first book, you may be ready for the master handbook version... But it's a decent jump for those who aren't interested in fine details.
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Also Consider soundonsound.com
They have a lot of good stuff.
The good thing is that, all articles published before 2012 can be read free of cost !!

Cheers!!
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Im gonna buy this one (as ebook) I dont know if it exist in paperback

Music Habits: 101 Production Tips for Computer Musicians: Jason Timothy: Amazon.com: Kindle Store
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There's a great book called "The Audio Expert: Everything you need to know about audio" by Ethan Winer.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Don't sleep on magazines. They can be good when starting...when stuff starts getting redundant, then move to the books.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Music, Physics and Engineering - Harry F. Olson - Google Books

I got hooked on this book at young age. Old school, but still full of useful info.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ➑️
Don't sleep on magazines. They can be good when starting...when stuff starts getting redundant, then move to the books.
Agreed. After you've got all the info you want from the mags, the books will definitely take you deeper.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejbragg ➑️
Agreed. After you've got all the info you want from the mags, the books will definitely take you deeper.
Not to mention those free plug-ins and sleeper sample packs.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Good on you for your interest in such reference material. As valuable a resource as the internet has become I still believe that building a library of solid reference material is as important as building a library of solid plugins. It's time and money well spent.

TECHNICAL REFERENCE:

Audio Pro home Recording Course Vol 1-3 Boxed Set: William A. Gibson: 9780872887367: Amazon.com: Books
Find these three volumes used. They are older and some of the info is dated, however, the series covers basics that still apply today and presents them clearly.

Master Handbook of Acoustics: F. Alton Everest,Ken Pohlmann: 9780071603324: Amazon.com: Books

How to Build a Small Budget Recording Studio from Scratch 4/E: Mike Shea: 9780071782715: Amazon.com: Books
I'll second the suggestion for the Master Handbook and add another. Even if you never build your own studio the insight provided in both these books is invaluable and well worth reading.

Amazon.com: tapeop: Books
Can't say enough about the TapeOp books.

Tape Op Magazine > Subscriptions
After you order the books sign up for a free subscription.

The Sound Reinforcement Handbook: Gary Davis,Ralph Jones: 0073999009644: Amazon.com: Books
I'll also suggest the Yamaha handbook. It should be in everyone's library and was, at one time, required reading for more than a few college courses.

MUSIC THEORY:

Music in Theory and Practice,Volume 1 with Audio CD: Bruce Benward,Marilyn Saker: 9780077254940: Amazon.com: Books

Workbook to accompany Music in Theory and Practice,Volume 1 with Finale Discount Sticker: Bruce Benward,Marilyn Saker: 9780077294236: Amazon.com: Books

Music in Theory and Practice,Volume 2 with Audio CD: Bruce Benward,Marilyn Saker: 9780077254957: Amazon.com: Books

Workbook to accompany Music in Theory and Practice,Volume 2: Bruce Benward,Marilyn Saker: 9780073127415: Amazon.com: Books
These are standard music theory texts you'll find in any number of classrooms.

Hope these help.
πŸ“ Reply