Quantcast
Microkorg Through Speaker Problems - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Microkorg Through Speaker Problems
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Microkorg Through Speaker Problems

I'm trying to help a buddy out, and I can't seem to figure out the problem here. He's got a Steinberg C12+ interface, a set of Equator D5 monitors and his Microkorg. We're trying to simply get sound from the korg to the speakers. We couldn't get it to work by simply using the USB out from the korg into the USB in on the macbook, but when we unplugged one of the speaker cables and used the 1/4" portion to plug into the line of the korg and the XLR end into the input of the interface, we got sound out of the one other speaker. We also tried using the XLR out from the korg into one of the inputs on the interface but got no sound. Can anyone help troubleshoot this? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Is it a microkorg XL? To plug my microkorg into my interface I just use two 1/4"s from the left and right output on the korg onto 2 microphone inputs on the interface, the microkorg is a bit quiet using instrument line ins for me so I use the gain on the microphone input

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Clarify your setup. As far as I know, the Microkorg XL has an XLR INPUT for the vocoder mic... and only 1/4" outputs.

If need be, I'm happy to reference manual pages for you, but I only own the MK, not the XL, so I'll have to look it up for you. Once you clarify, I'll respond.

Also, please make sure that other sources work into the inputs you're using... plug in another synth, plug in your iPhone... just confirm they're working first...
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Oh and have to set your daw to receive audio in from whichever channels you've plugged your microkorg into on the interface

Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
It is the XL, and I thought about using the two 1/4" outputs from it into the two inputs on the interface, but shouldn't just using the USB from the korg to computer be sufficient if the overall audio output are the monitors? We're short on 1/4" cables right now, but if we got ahold of some I'm sure we get it going this way. At this point on a Monday night it's a 'work with what we've got kind of thing' hahaha.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyklane ➑️
Clarify your setup. As far as I know, the Microkorg XL has an XLR INPUT for the vocoder mic... and only 1/4" outputs.

If need be, I'm happy to reference manual pages for you, but I only own the MK, not the XL, so I'll have to look it up for you. Once you clarify, I'll respond.

Also, please make sure that other sources work into the inputs you're using... plug in another synth, plug in your iPhone... just confirm they're working first...
Okay, so the setup is as follows. It's Macbook to interface via USB, then it's the 1/4" line outs from the interface to the speakers. The Korg connected directly to the computer via USB at the time being.

And we tested the inputs with a mic since there's no other keyboard at the moment and we got sound.

Does this help?
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Which DAW are you using? You might have to set the USB as an audio input when you've plugged the microkorg in

Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I thought we could get the Korg to produce sound through the speakers without even turning on a DAW. But he'll be using Cubase 6 now as he just picked it up.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Nah it needs the daw if you're going through USB, even going through the 1/4" jacks I still need to have ableton open to hear my microkorg, if you wanna listen to it without an interface you might have to just go straight from microkorg to speakers

Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwell7 ➑️
Nah it needs the daw if you're going through USB, even going through the 1/4" jacks I still need to have ableton open to hear my microkorg, if you wanna listen to it without an interface you might have to just go straight from microkorg to speakers

Okay gotcha. So I've opened Cubase up, started a 'piano + vocal' default setup and it's reading the Korg as a Midi interface, meaning it's using built in sounds of Cubase and not the Korg. Any idea how I would get it to play the sounds he's made in Korg instead?
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Umm I'm not exactly sure on cubase but in ableton its preferences > audio and then set audio input to microkorg USB or something similar, hopefully that gives you some idea. Or open an audio track and set the input to microkorg? Sorry I haven't used cubase

Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Umm I'm not exactly sure on cubase but in ableton its preferences > audio and then set audio input to microkorg USB or something similar, hopefully that gives you some idea. Or open an audio track and set the input to microkorg? Sorry I haven't used cubase

Tried looking for and fooling around with stuff that kind of sounded like that. No luck unfortunately. Thank you though.

Anyone else have any insight?
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

agreed.

if you want the computer out of the equation, you'll need to plug it in like it's a guitar or microphone... just microkorg direct to the mixer/speakers. as long as the computer is ON, you should be able to use the interface and hear sound.
πŸ“ Reply