How should I set my Avedis MA5? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How should I set my Avedis MA5?
Old 11th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
How should I set my Avedis MA5?

Hi all,

I have recently purchased some recording gear for my hip hop vocal project studio. I want to run my Peluso VTB through my Avedis MA5 (sitting in the api lunchbox), into my Tapco mix 260FX to track in cubase.

This set up may sound like I am a mixed up kid, for all i know, but it kinda has to work for me now, at least until I can afford to replace any piece of it.

My question is, since I've never set a mic preamp before, what are some basic tips/explanations of the different knobs and buttons on the Avedis MA5?

If there is an existing thread for this query, please link it to me!

Thanks in advance!
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Listen to the sound and don't clip.
When recording into any digitalrecordng software it is not nessisary to record very hot levels.
I use PT and in PT I and most others seem to agree that just into the yellow out of the green is a good digital level. The noise floor is very low with digital you don't need much signal at all to have a good clean sound.
The pre you have might sound good when it breaks up but until you learn the sound of the pre play it safe and stack with a nice clean signal below clipping.

But as always use your ears to give it the thumbs up not your VU meter.
Old 11th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
So I set the gain on the pre to be loud, then the output dial to get mild distortion or whatever right? And thats before i set Gain ony desk yeah? Or do i not have to set my desk gain now?

There's also a button with 28k on it which I assume boosts at an inaudible 28k so the harmonics of that frequency open up the highs we do hear?

Then there's a button with an 'O' with a forward slash thru it. What does that mean, what does it do?

The last says 48V. Guessing this is a phantom power that I don't need as my mic has a power source.

I would consult the manual but the guy who knows where the manual is (guy I bought the gear off) is in jail with limited contact
Old 12th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Have now solved this by ear, finding my perfect ratio between gain and output, switched in the 28k cos I like it bright and ignored the ΓΈ (found the symbol whatever it means) and ignored the 48V and I'm very happy w the sound. Now to get a compressor that adds a rich tonal quality to the fattening of vocal low-end and I'm ready to make rap happen!
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The Ø is the polarity button (if you have 2 mics they can be out of phase with each other - this button can help)

You seemed to figure it out but the output all the way up is the cleanest, turning it down and the gain up gives you more color

The 28k is a great feature and the MA5 is amazing - honestly, the only thing you should do with your mixer is get it out of the chain as soon as you can replace it with a better A/D converter which will let your mic and MA5 reach their full potential (I, personally would do this first then save for a hardware compressor)
Old 12th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Cheers superwack! Yeah, I have output fairly low and gain higher.

So, polarity! Phase issues can't touch me I have just one mic

When you are talking A/D converter, I do have the M-Audio ProjectMix I/O, which is like the digi002 with more inputs (I plan to have more mics, turntables keyboards and mpcs etc etc), and am just working to stack enough cash to buy a MacBook Pro (to run the ProTools M-Powered on, which came with the ProjectMix I/O) before I take my Tapco mixer out.

So basically, although I am saving for a MacBook, I have also thrown a compressor (oh and bass traps) in my wishlist, and am looking at the dbx 160A, which I reckon is playing it fairly safe. I've heard it lends a nice tone to the low-end in vocals, and i'd like a fatter recorded sound because vocal takes sound more impressive to rappers if they are already somewhat compressed haha.

Thanks again man
πŸ“ Reply