Quantcast
A rock band needs your expert advice. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A rock band needs your expert advice.
Old 10th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
A rock band needs your expert advice.

I'm in a three piece rock band and we want the ability to play a track or a sound of some kind in between songs when we play live. We're tired of silence in between songs while tuning, etc. It really kills the momentum of a live show when you play a song that people seem to enjoy, then they have to wait for you to start the next song while no sound is coming from the stage.

We're a pretty simple set up of guitar, bass, drums, vocals so we don't have much experience with electronic gear/samplers/sequencers/synths, etc. Would a sampler be the best solution for this? I'm the drummer and we would ideally like to have something right next to me that I can control. Preferably some kind of stand alone piece of equipment that doesn't require a laptop to be on stage with you. We're interested in something pretty basic and inexpensive. No need to get too fancy because we will basically just be using it in between songs only while playing a live show.
Any suggestions? Thanks for your time.
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Why are you stopping between songs? Is it just out of habit or is there a specific need?
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Could you just use an mp3 player of some kind?
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Crowd interactiin is critical. Use the time to connect with your audience!
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The time between songs is where the frontman does his thing. :nods:
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanestoner ➑️
Crowd interactiin is critical. Use the time to connect with your audience!
I 2nd that. Playing canned music between live songs can get very tiring and I would find it disappointing as well.
Old 10th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
KRStudio- I guess I wouldn't call it "stopping" between songs, but there is a natural pause between the end of one song and the start of another. It happens at almost any concert. Sure, we have some songs that go from one right into another but they're not all that way and many times there needs to be a small break in between songs to tune instruments, catch your breath (we're a very energetic band) and maybe take a drink of whatever your beverage of choice may be.

Crying 1986- I guess an mp3 player is a possibilty, but we were thinking of creating our own sounds with a sampler or something. With an mp3 player, I feel we would have to download someone else's sound files or record something ourselves and we're not able to do that.

fastlanestoner- I agree crowd interaction is critical, but it can get to be too much. I know this from experience as a performer and as an audience member. I've seen many bands, including my own, talk or banter too much with the crowd and/or each other to the point of it becoming awkward. We engage our audience frequently throughout out performances, including having them help sing a chorus or clap with the beat, eyc.
Old 10th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I wouldn't see it as being canned music. We just need some kind of sound or effect to keep the flow of the show going for the sake of continuity. I see countless bands in my local music scene who use samplers and drum machines not only in their actual music but as a filler between songs and their audiences never seem to get tired of it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by x_25 ➑️
The time between songs is where the frontman does his thing. :nods:
Yep, thats when you thank the crowd for coming out, thank the other bands and thank the venue, pimp yer merch and tell everybody to tip the damn bartenders!!!

Gear Head

🎧 5 years
The rest-time between songs is what creates the anticipation for the next song... it's that magic that is brewing in the air when the crowd is really into your music -- you will kill that with filler music. Are you guys doing covers or originals? If covers, eh, who cares - if originals, then that is the time your bands personality can shine.

I would totally avoid this route and just have the crowd follow you guys -- through the noise or silence (IMO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpm512 ➑️
I wouldn't see it as being canned music. We just need some kind of sound or effect to keep the flow of the show going for the sake of continuity. I see countless bands in my local music scene who use samplers and drum machines not only in their actual music but as a filler between songs and their audiences never seem to get tired of it.
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunkicker ➑️
The rest-time between songs is what creates the anticipation for the next song... it's that magic that is brewing in the air when the crowd is really into your music -- you will kill that with filler music. Are you guys doing covers or originals? If covers, eh, who cares - if originals, then that is the time your bands personality can shine.

I would totally avoid this route and just have the crowd follow you guys -- through the noise or silence (IMO).
I'd avoid filler music too, you could just make your tuning and stuff a little bit more audible for the crowd to hear. Or if you don't want them to hear it just whack the drums a bit, play a few notes etc...it all contributes to that raw & real experience of seeing a live band. I guess a lot of people are going to be using the time between songs to get to the bathroom or get another drink or something...I don't think it's such a bad thing if it's not all music all the time.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Does tuning take a long time? Maybe all you need are better guitars. I've seen bands play non-stop for 2+ hours.
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik ➑️
Does tuning take a long time? Maybe all you need are better guitars. I've seen bands play non-stop for 2+ hours.

Me too, but they usually tune somewhere in the song when the musician has nothing to play, or they have a lot of guitars, all with different tunings.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I agree with everyone that says playing music in between would be bad.

If I go to see a band, I don't want to hear someone else between their set - save that for before/after.

Maybe write some extended intros/outros for the song that give others time to tune and get a drink. Or if you really want to you could write/record an intro and play this back through the PA. It can sound cool when a rock band begins a song with an electronic instrument-based intro.
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik ➑️
i second this invest in locking tuners (not floyd rose but locking tuners). see a luthier . put new strings on before each gig.
use the front man to be a front man.
if its awkward make it as awkard as possible, just for effect. i think its natural to have a break inebetween songs its up to you guys not to make it a bore for the audience. btw there your fans to convert how will they be converted if you dont interact with them. im sure you do but as said in previous posts its good to interact and create a rapour. aswell as giving peoples ears a rest so they can latch onto the next song.
people get bored easily from having too much of the same thing. constantly having loud music with no rests or difference from loud music to soft will make people switch off pretty quickly.

but if you still want to go down the route of having something inbetween.
keep the drummer going have the front man to tell some jokes/ get the spirits up of the audience make them feel special etc.

or for having audio you could have drum triggers set up to a laptop with either ableton live or if you have a mac logic mainstage. then get these electric drum pads to play stuff youve pre written. a bit like doing a neil peart from rush. and directly feed these drums into the pa and sound check it works before each gig. youd need these to be midi triggers. and midi compatable.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Buy a Boss looper pedal, record some stuff into it from a guitar or mp3 player w mini jack cable & hit it with your foot to playback into a guitar amp.
Old 12th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I've seen bands do this plenty and if its done right it keeps the momentum going. The most professional way is to map out your entire set. Program a computer that the drummer would use with a click track of every song you play including count in measures and plug in the music between the songs so that it plays directly after/before you play your songs. This would require a laptop and small interface.

However I see your looking for something that needs less equipment and tech knowledge. The best answer is an mp3 player. It can be plug directly into the p.a. and the drummer can still control it how ever they'd like. Your best bet is to figure out what fx's,sounds, or track you want between each song and just go to a studio and have it recorded and bounced as an mp3. If you know what you want before you go in it would take no more then an hour of studio time. Or prolly could have someone on here do it for free!!!

I do suggested whatever track you do between songs that it be original.perhaps an interlude, intro, outro. Or even a quirky old song that everyone would get a kick out of like "afternoon delight" haha. Just my 2c

Sent from my SPH-M580BST using Gearslutz App
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I don't mean to be critical with my remarks, I'm honestly trying to be constructive for the op.

You need to step back for a moment and look at what your show is, and then map it out and be pro about what you're putting on. I'm almost 60 and have been rocking my entire life, I've worked closely with top performers like Eric Clapton and Keith Richards, their acts are not accidents, they rehearse and plan. All the big acts plan their shows, they know what they're going to do and if you get an opportunity to slip into a tour you need several versions of your set, in different lengths, you won't have an opportunity to plan it when it happens, you just need to already know and be ready for whatever comes your way.

Perhaps there is some act you've seen that plays content between their live songs, if I was a venue owner and a band came in and played canned stuff during the live performance I'd probably fire the band, I want a live act that "engages" the crowd.

Stomp box tuners are not new, I have 23 guitars, lots are Fenders with old Klusons. A pro guitar player needs to be able to get that thing in tune fast so the show does not lose momentum.

I honestly wish you all the best, playing in a band is hard but when it's good, it's real good. Good music to all.
Old 5th December 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I gig a lot and never have to tune my guitar more than twice. Once before I play and a double check about a third of the way into our set, once the strings are warm.

Other than not stringing their guitars correctly I can't see why they would need to. If you use a bunch of different tunings I would invest in more guitars rather than a looper, sampler or mp3 player.

Personally, I would hate to have music in between my music. Live and recorded music should be kept completely seperate in my eyes. Have you ever been to a gig other than your own? Everyone has gaps. Gaps are good, it lets people come down after that high. Think about your favourite album, that has gaps I bet and it'll also have a song that lets you down before the finale.

Gaps aren't bad, they let people come back down, get another drink and/ take a leak, usually not in that order but still.

I don't mean to come across as condescending or anything but you catch my flow.
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would use an MP3 player. You can put your own music on them.

However I would practice more so the pause between songs is minimal
Old 6th December 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
AM radio and tape loops, go Stockhausen!
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Spend the time/energy working on your live performance instead of this. What was the last concert you went to that you heard canned music played between songs?

Between sets, maybe if there is no jukebox.
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Bands typically stop between songs. It's perfectly natural. The audience probably appreciates the breaks too. It also helps create a contrast for when you start up the next song. Your singer should say a sentence or two on the mic while you all tune and then you should be ready to go.
Old 7th December 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Watch the Blues Brothers....Masters of crowd control just watch the Cowboy Bar seine.
Old 8th December 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Tuning is definitely necessary during a set. Especially if you're playing a heavier style of rock. I second the fact that the frontman should be doing his thing to keep the crowd pumped as that is his/her job. That being said, this can still somewhat slow momentum. What we used to do was extend our intros a few bars enough to let the guitar players and bass player tune up individually. This way there was still some ambience while I did my thing as the frontman. It also gave me a few seconds to grab a sip of water between songs. In your case being a three piece band it would obviously be a little more challenging. I would suggest the bass and drums jam out an ambient riff while the guitar tunes up then let the guitar rip a big delayed chord or something of the sort while addressing the crowd. Keep the crowd pumped, then the bassist tune and rip into the next song! You shouldn't need to tune after every song and if there are different tunings between your songs, adjust the set accordingly. Or have another guitar/bass already tuned in that key on standby. It may take a little practice to pull this off seamlessly but if you guys jam enough it'll be second nature in no time.

Cheers!
Old 8th December 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I would also invest in a boss chromatic tuner tu-3 if you don't already have one.
Old 9th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Unless "sound clips" are part of your schtick, I don't see a need for them. I used to play with a band in which the drummer insisted on having a trigger on his set to play stuff "in between". Probably one of the most irritating things about the guy (decent guy, no knowlege whatever about playing live). I had been playing for about ten years without this guy, and I knew better than just throwing a bunch of crap at the audience for no apparent reason.

Really the space between songs, as has been stated already, is THE time to promote yourselves/build rapport with the audience/thank ppl/ etc... It really depends on the mood you are tying to set with your show. The front man is called that for a reason. They should be interacting with the audience, as stated before. If the singer can't do it, there is no reason the bassist or guitarist or YOU couldn't do it.

ALSO, let's not dismiss the use of silence as a tension builder. Afterall, music is all about tension and release. It is the basis of what you are doing. Use it to your advantage. Not total silence btwn all songs, mind you, but combined with a little banter and the aforementioned thanks and sales-pitches, that is probably all you really need.
πŸ“ Reply