Quantcast
Producing, Mixing, Mastering and Recording Hip-Hop - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Producing, Mixing, Mastering and Recording Hip-Hop
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Producing, Mixing, Mastering and Recording Hip-Hop

I have started making hip-hop beats on Maschine for a friend of mine who raps. Eventually we want to release an EP/LP on bandcamp or something similar.

Yesterday, my friend came over to record some vocals over the beats. It went okay, but I found it hard to get the levels of his voice and my beat balanced without having one or the other distorting.

As well as help with that, I am also looking for tips on how to get the best possible vocal take. Aside from having proper microphone placement etc..more in terms of utilising compression, EQ and other effects to get a good sounding vocal track.

I have no idea where to start and would really appreciate tips/help/guidance/links to things to read. In addition to this, I want to become good at mixing and mastering these tracks for a final release so any guidance on how I can learn the basics of these things are appreciated too.
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It really takes years upon years to learn and have great mixes. Let alone tons of great equipment. That's why most people pay professional engineers to do the work. It's almost like going to a dentist and saying "I want to learn how to fix teeth so when I get cavities or something I can fix them myself".

But if you really want to learn then I would do some googling and read, read, read, practice, practice, practice, n repeat a couple hundred times. I'll try to find some material and videos to help you out and post them here. But just know timberland and dr. Dre didn't learn how to make beats over night. It's a long frustrating/enjoyable journey.
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Also you shouldn't have the beat already mixed and then try to mix vocals into it. You should mix it all together.
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
For mixing audio I would reccomend this book;
MixingAudio.com • Home
It helped me a lot when I first started out.

For Mastering I would reccomend Bob Katz's book.
and these lovely articles...
http://www.formationaudio.co.uk/articles

I use NI Maschine too, but I tend to use it more for compositional purposes.
The best approach is to make the beat in there, then bounce out each instrument and mix it in another program. (I find this much easier)

Another important tip would be to gather up some reference tracks if you haven't done so already. These are songs that you know sound good.
That way when you mix your track you can use a reference track to mix against. Playing the reference back at equal loudness off-course.

Another thing to note is that when your mixing your not concerned with how loud the end product sounds. The Mastering engineer tackles this.
Try to get your mixes RMS to average around -18dBfs and your peaks around - 6dBfs
If it sounds too quiet, just turn up your monitoring system.

Personally I work on the K-system (look it up if your not sure what it is). and try to get my mix to average around K14
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackx ➑️
It really takes years upon years to learn and have great mixes. Let alone tons of great equipment. That's why most people pay professional engineers to do the work. It's almost like going to a dentist and saying "I want to learn how to fix teeth so when I get cavities or something I can fix them myself".

But if you really want to learn then I would do some googling and read, read, read, practice, practice, practice, n repeat a couple hundred times. I'll try to find some material and videos to help you out and post them here. But just know timberland and dr. Dre didn't learn how to make beats over night. It's a long frustrating/enjoyable journey.
Thanks for the reply.

Of course... I am fully expecting it to be a long process. But I do want to learn. It's my only option since I haven't got the budget to pay someone else to do it.

Regarding mixing everything together, it's tricky because all of my music is sample based And as a result iI can't mix everything separately.
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurpswu ➑️
Thanks for the reply.

Of course... I am fully expecting it to be a long process. But I do want to learn. It's my only option since I haven't got the budget to pay someone else to do it.

Regarding mixing everything together, it's tricky because all of my music is sample based And as a result iI can't mix everything separately.
The only tracks i will have are:sample , drums and vocals.
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Any tips on how I can get good mixes with sample based stuff, drums and vocals?
πŸ“ Reply