Quantcast
Can I use 2-track out (tape out) to feed the audio signal to my headphone amp? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can I use 2-track out (tape out) to feed the audio signal to my headphone amp?
Old 9th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Can I use 2-track out (tape out) to feed the audio signal to my headphone amp?

Hi,

First post to this forum that I' ve been reading for years. Here is the case to which I can't find any answers from the web. At least very precise ones. I have the Graham Slee solo ultralinear as my headphone amp and it only has rca inputs. My mixers is alesis multimix firewire 16 from which I'm trying to feed the audio signal to the headphone preamp. I know I could buy an adapter that converts the rca cables to a 1/4 plugs and connect the headphone amp to aux sends or control room outs (or maybe even the main outs?) but as I'm writing this all those stores are closed where I could buy an adapter. And I would like to know this also because using tape out for monitoring purposes would be really convenient. So what I want to know is that can I use 2-track (also know as tape out) rca outputs to feed the audio signal from my alesis mixer to the headphone preamp? I'm not sure whether I can and I rather be safe than sorry ( I'm not so familiar with the technical language that the manuals offer) Below I put links to the technical spesification of both devices (one link is to forum where there is a photo of the graham slees specs)!

REVIEW: Graham Slee Solo Ultra-Linear headphone amp

MultiMix 16 FireWire 16?Channel Analog FireWire Mixer

Thanks for your help!!
Old 9th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Ok. I found one answer from sos. I put the link here if anyone is wondering the same question that I was. It still leaves the question whether this applies to my situation. I quess it does??

Cue Monitoring Techniques
Old 9th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
It says so in the text.
"In the situation where you're feeding the phones directly from the headphone socket on the mixer, the ideal level will have to be arrived at by trial and error, but a better solution is to use a headphone amplifier, fed from the mixer's headphone output or from its two-track tape out connectors."

Whether this applies to all mixers and all headphone amps remains still a mystery to me. Does any have information about this?
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
These are specs on the output of the tape out:
RCA Inputs
2-TRACK IN Level: -10dBV nominal, +5dBV maximum

These are the specs of Graham Slee input:
Input sensitivity (for specified power output into 32 Ohms): 511mV rms
Input impedance: 37k Ohms at max volume; 50k Ohms at min volume

This article cleared things for me a little bit:
-10dBV and +4dBu voltage levels

The article also cleared me the difference of +4dBu vs 10dBV..

So the impedance is pretty high in the Graham Slees input and the output voltage of the tape out is very low so overloads aren't very likely to happen.
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

As you've determined, the nominal -10 dBv "tape" output is perfectly compatible with the input of your headphone amplifier.

The "nominal" level of the -10 dBv output is, of course -10 dBv (exactly 316 mV) which at first might sound low for the headphone amplifier input which needs 511 mV to drive the phones to full output. However, the Alesis mixer has another 15 dB of "headroom", so the maximum output is actually limited to +5dBv (1.77 volts) which is enough to drive the headphone amp to full output even with the input level control turned down a little. It's unlikely that you will ever want to listen to your headphones at those levels (and is dangerous to your hearing to do so), but your amplifier can be fully driven if need be.
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the information Lotus 7!! Your post helped me to understand the technical data even better!
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…