Quantcast
Is it possible for a newbie to start producing directly in 5.1? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is it possible for a newbie to start producing directly in 5.1?
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Is it possible for a newbie to start producing directly in 5.1?

Hello forum,
Well..this question is quite tricky.i googled it and failed to find good answers,searched gearslutz also..bt I dnt thing it hs nothing related to what I intend to ask.

Let me introduce myself to all of u first..
M a trained keyboardist/songwriter/composer..and want to build a pro/very sophistic home studio to create music and produce it on my own..
I wil start by recording my own keyboards n wil slowly make progress and add vocals,acoustics or may b a full fledged orchestra Sumday..

Now when I am busy deciding what gear do I need to hv in my home studio..
A very major question arises n my mind..

What will be the basic structure of my production/music..wil it b in 5.1 or STEREO..

FYI-I am not going to limit myself to songs and jingles..my basic interest is in creating background score for films/games..

My roles models r two great musicians..A R Rahman and Hans Zimmer

Now..according to my research..Rahman creates mainly in stereo whereas Hans Zimmer has everything in 5.1 surround mixes..

The future is obviously surround sound plus I am personally fascinated n more inclined towards surround audio?

Will it be possible for a newbie like me to star in 5.1?
Shud I start in stereo first and then opt for surround audio gradually?

I dnt wana waste my time if starting with surround audio is possible..
I can work as hard as it wants and ready to b dedicated in all the inputs possible..

PS-this topic can be pretty usefull for all the people who r on the starting point as I am.
Keep this thread as an open discussion so that all can take benefit from it.

Thanks for sparing your valuable time and reading my post
Old 9th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I think this is a question that you need to ask yourself. No one here can help you with that question because we don't know what you want your end result to sound like.
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Im an amateur and have never worked in 5.1.

You dont say what daw youre using. If youre new to daws there is a big (and wonderful) learning curve. Lots of techniques need to be learned and the fewer variables you have the easier it will be to find things that are going wrong. And almost everything you learn when producing 2.1 will be applicable to 5.1.

I guess my point is respect the learning curve. This is totally independent of your skills as a musician and composer.

Maybe tell us more about what you have at the moment and if you have the guts post a track

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Gearslutz App
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you set your studio up to be able to work in 5.1, then it'll also be able to work in stereo. Whatever format you decide to work in is up to you. As mentioned, a lot of what you do in stereo can be applied to 5.1. So maybe get the foundations of mixing worked out in stereo, before moving over to surround.

With that said, it's certainly possible to start in 5.1 (providing you have the gear needed to do it) and you might find that it's simply more fun and inspiring to work in 5.1
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula ➑️
I think this is a question that you need to ask yourself. No one here can help you with that question because we don't know what you want your end result to sound like.
Actually I am not asking people to help me in making a choice..obviously I am attracted towards surround audio n want my productions to be 5.1

The basic aim behind starting this thread is to explore the possibilities and scope of both aspects.
If I can start with 5.1..nothing can b better
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ999x ➑️
Im an amateur and have never worked in 5.1.

You dont say what daw youre using. If youre new to daws there is a big (and wonderful) learning curve. Lots of techniques need to be learned and the fewer variables you have the easier it will be to find things that are going wrong. And almost everything you learn when producing 2.1 will be applicable to 5.1.

I guess my point is respect the learning curve. This is totally independent of your skills as a musician and composer.

Maybe tell us more about what you have at the moment and if you have the guts post a track

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Gearslutz App
Lol..other than the aesthetics of music..I have Yamaha tyros 2,an iPad and a windows pc with good config..currently making songs in GarageBand,music studio for iPad, adobe audition and audacity..n ya m a [email protected]

But here I like to share how I want things to b

Logic as the daw and Korg Kronos 88 keyboard..
(already decided)
N other things I wl decide once I feel sure Tht I wnt stereo or 5.1

(I hv some GarageBand tracks..if Tht matters to u ppl..surely I cn post it)
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
ha, sounds very similar to my setup. Enjoy, if you're anything like me it's going to be a lot of fun!
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ999x ➑️
ha, sounds very similar to my setup. Enjoy, if you're anything like me it's going to be a lot of fun!
Share your setup and style in detail.i wil b glad if i find somone my kinds
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
For a beginner, 5.1 will be expensive to setup. Even going into the uber-entry level stuff, that's five monitors you gotta buy, plus a sub. You'll need an interface with at least as many outputs, even more if you're planning on incorporating aux sends and the like.

If you're JUST starting out, start stereo. As you progress, chances are you won't be keeping a lot of the gear you started out with. I know I personally don't have any of the things I started with anymore. Learn to use the basic tools and learn the basic techniques. Those basics can be hard enough to figure out for a newbie on even one or two speakers, let alone on six.

As you progress and find your needs changing, you'll upgrade your gear. Even if you bought good stuff on your first go 'round - you'll always be chasing better.

And if you what you do sounds like crap in stereo... it'll sound even worse in 5.1.
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnxietySwitch ➑️
For a beginner, 5.1 will be expensive to setup. Even going into the uber-entry level stuff, that's five monitors you gotta buy, plus a sub. You'll need an interface with at least as many outputs, even more if you're planning on incorporating aux sends and the like.

If you're JUST starting out, start stereo. As you progress, chances are you won't be keeping a lot of the gear you started out with. I know I personally don't have any of the things I started with anymore. Learn to use the basic tools and learn the basic techniques. Those basics can be hard enough to figure out for a newbie on even one or two speakers, let alone on six.

As you progress and find your needs changing, you'll upgrade your gear. Even if you bought good stuff on your first go 'round - you'll always be chasing better.

And if you what you do sounds like crap in stereo... it'll sound even worse in 5.1.
Thts nt the case..audience say my ipad mixes sound quite refined for the time being..
Bt yeah i agree..even configuring a home theatre setup is a mess until u know the stereo acoustics..

I ws just thinking to invest in future proof stuff..as i dnt wana upgrade pretty soon..no resell market in my country and i hvnt started earning with music..quite based on my allowances..
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Get urself the new Roland Integra. It does sounds in 5.1.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol ➑️
Get urself the new Roland Integra. It does sounds in 5.1.
Holy cow..
I am freaking impressed by listening to the samples..
Greatttttt recomendation..wonderful stuff..thanks man..
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Though m left with one more confusion that wht is SOUND MODULE now..
I hate myself for being such a noob n flooding gearslutz with my insane amateur questions..:(

Intergra 7 doesnt look like an audio interface to me..
They say it has got internal sounds too..is it playable thru a midi keyboard?
Cn this work as an audio interface..i mean cn i hook moniters directly to it?

Using the easiest language possible..cn someone help? What role is it gona play in my setup..
My mind is boggled..
Read the info on roland site..but they dnt have the xplanation of basics..
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

13 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
WHy would you need more "sounds" than you already have. Don't waste your money on more sounds until you've maxed out what you have, Most DAW's come with thousands more via soft synths.
To me where you are at is you need to first build a solid DAW platform.
I'm sorry but Garage band is a toy.
Try Demos of Cubase, Reaper and Sonar etc.

The DAW and then your first purchase should be a solid audio interface. This is the heart of the modern day production studio.
Start out in stereo- You can upgrade your system when you feel you are ready for it.
You can always re visit songs you compose in stereo and re mix to 5.1 , easy.
The cost of a 5.1 system will hold you back, wait until you can build the right system.
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The advice you're getting here is pretty solid. Wait on 5.1, it's really just added expense for nothing until you get much more experience. If you start with 5.1, IMO, it will set back your learning curve quite a bit, and ultimately slow down your development as an engineer... Kind of like trying to learn to run before you can walk. Learn to deal with phase issues in stereo first, and thank me later.

To answer your other question, the Integra is not an interface. It's a synth module, as you probably suspected. So yes, you play it with a MIDI controller. The reason it was mentioned is because (at $2000 USD) it's one of the few sound modules that will actually output multi-channel 5.1 sound.
Old 28th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
So many opinions guiding towards the same way,eureka! I have decided. Just stereo for the time being and once after gtng satisfactory stereo results i wl think about surround.wise enuf.eh?

Thanks everyone for helping
Old 28th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiborg ➑️
the Integra is not an interface. It's a synth module, as you probably suspected. So yes, you play it with a MIDI controller. The reason it was mentioned is because (at $2000 USD) it's one of the few sound modules that will actually output multi-channel 5.1 sound.
It does output 5.1 channel,but my latest research says it cnt send 5.1 channel over usb to the DAWs for multi channel mixing..
The only option is to get it bridged by additional interface and have all 6channels as solo..

This wont b of any use to me..n 2000 USD is insane pricing..
6000 sounds they say,cant we get virtual instruments instead?wont they b more cost efficient...

Is there any Quality/performance difference between sound modules like this and virtual instruments???
I wud sumone spend this much on smthn like this
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Short answer: No. Not one bit.

You have zip for foundation, jumping into 5.1 is utterly pointless and the middle class is stuck with stereo, so the future is still stereo/dual mono definitely not 5.1. Not every gamer has surround, not every home has it either. There's a reason down/upmixing is around inside those pieces of hardware.

5.1 set ups are pretty costly as already mentioned plus the acoustics to go with it.

If you're looking for advice on interfaces and gear, check my post at Pinnacle College:

Home Studio Equipment | Pinnacle College Blog

The three interfaces/mics I listed there will be great starting points. I don't recommend you get something with a ton of inputs until you know the basics of recording music. Any of those three will give you between 3-4ins and 2-4 outs. With that you can hook up monitors, keyboards, drum machines, record vocals, etc plus headphones.

Finally, for Virtual Instruments...Depends on the program. Though in most cases you'll end up wanting hardware, however if cost is an issue, then VIs are the way to go. If you've never checked out Reason, I suggest doing so.
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordshakti ➑️
This wont b of any use to me..n 2000 USD is insane pricing..

Is there any Quality/performance difference between sound modules like this and virtual instruments???
I wud sumone spend this much on smthn like this
Righto, my friend. It is insane pricing, though that thing is a freakin' bear wrestler of a ROMpler. I'd probably get one if I was rich, but it's really not necessary. I haven't heard the demos, but you're probably not gaining much as far as flat-out sound quality when compared to the best VST and sample libraries (though it's still in that class, I'd imagine- what, it's got some crazy mega-gig SSD drive that it streams off of? wow). The Integra is really just cool because in addition to being a top-contender sound quality-wise, it's a crash-proof, compact, stand alone unit that you can take with you to a gig. I'd say that's it's real selling point.
Old 13th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Do a bit cheaper n more versatile sound modules exist?
πŸ“ Reply