Quantcast
Gear acquisition syndrome is bad? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gear acquisition syndrome is bad?
Old 3 days ago
Gear acquisition syndrome is bad?

Hi. I probably have gear acquisition syndrome because someone was said to me. I think i have it too... But it is a bad thing? The only problem i'm not rich so i can't build professional studio in my bedroom lol. But i always have fantasies with Neumann u87 and other industry standard stuffs... Is there really such a syndrome in a medical sense? Do I need to beat this syndrome?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdem Alsirt ➡️
Hi. I probably have gear acquisition syndrome because someone was said to me. I think i have it too... But it is a bad thing? The only problem i'm not rich so i can't build professional studio in my bedroom lol. But i always have fantasies with Neumann u87 and other industry standard stuffs... Is there really such a syndrome in a medical sense? Do I need to beat this syndrome?
Not medical, but surely psychological! A lot of it is about wanting, not necessarily needing things. I used to collect a lot of things (especially mics) that I might use seldomg or rarely. Often when I did use them I was very happy I had them. Now I am older and doing less live sound and recording. I no onger crave new items! In fact, I'm thinking about how to get rid of quite a lot of gear that I don't use. Doinmg live sound, I often need four or six of each type of mic, so there are a lot in my stable!

FWIW I am over 70 and an engineer, not a player or musician.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson ➡️
Not medical, but surely psychological! A lot of it is about wanting, not necessarily needing things. I used to collect a lot of things (especially mics) that I might use seldomg or rarely. Often when I did use them I was very happy I had them. Now I am older and doing less live sound and recording. I no onger crave new items! In fact, I'm thinking about how to get rid of quite a lot of gear that I don't use. Doinmg live sound, I often need four or six of each type of mic, so there are a lot in my stable!

FWIW I am over 70 and an engineer, not a player or musician.
You probably use Pro Tools Ultimate like me?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
You probably use Pro Tools Ultimate like me?
Not Ultimate, whatever that is. I use PT 12.6 on Sierra, stopped upgrading just before they went all subscription. What I have does what I need and that is all I need!

After 30 years all analog, in 1995 I got PT V.3 and upgraded every time a new version came out. Now I have simpler needs, and most of my work is routine - audiobooks, radio programs, tape restorations, some live music recordings, and no synths or instruments, just audio.
Quote:
Not Ultimate, whatever that is. I use PT 12.6 on Sierra, stopped upgrading just before they went all subscription. What I have does what I need and that is all I need!

After 30 years all analog, in 1995 I got PT V.3 and upgraded every time a new version came out. Now I have simpler needs, and most of my work is routine - audiobooks, radio programs, tape restorations, some live music recordings, and no synths or instruments, just audio.
Hmm... Also, what do you think about my these singing and my own mixing work at Pro Tools?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m0M...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Oqa...ew?usp=sharing
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Anything?
The cartoons are cute, the musiuc good. Not exactly the kind of thing I go for thoughHere's a viodeo I did the sound for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duNDBPXNj6k

as different as can be from your material!
Quote:
The cartoons are cute, the musiuc good. Not exactly the kind of thing I go for thoughHere's a viodeo I did the sound for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duNDBPXNj6k

as different as can be from your material!
This is super normal because we born in different years, different generation at all... But all i can say; I like Queen and Michael Jackson songs which is from 80's and 90's...
📝 Reply