Quantcast
Tascam 428 pre amp or no? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tascam 428 pre amp or no?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Tascam 428 pre amp or no?

Hey yall!
Working on getting my studio setup up and running.
I’m curious what your input would be on needing a preamp for my 428 cassette recorder.

I was thinking about getting a ISA One to get some nice clean preamp sounds into the somewhat gritty tape.

Is that worth doing or should I just run straight in?

Workflow is built around a drum machine, guitars, bass, synthesizers and male vocalist(myself)

Thanks!

pattar😈🤘
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Is it worth doing? That's a question only you can answer. Do you like the sound you get when you plug directly into the mic input with the built-in preamps?

You can always rent the preamp and do a test. Anytime you are going to make a large purchase it is wise to try it out first. Rentals are typically cheap. So you could get it for a weekend, try it out...Then decide if the "upgrade" (if there even is one) is enough to justify whatever the cost of the preamp is.

There is no real way for anyone to answer that for you since we are talking about tone and sound and so much of that is subjective.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Korcraft pretty much nailed it, yep it's up to you what sounds good to you and whether spending money on an external preamp is "worth it" as well.

What mics do you have and how are you using them now?

Do you at least have some of those old Teac/Tascam XLR to 1/4" transformer adapters or are you running dynamic mics in with just basic XLR to 1/4" cable or simple adapters?

You can spend for the ISA One and you may be very happy or you may end up feeling that you didn't get much for all that cash depending on what you are doing exactly and how closely you are listening.

I thought the transformer adapters sounded ok with my Teac 3340 many years ago but you could go with a preamp cheaper than the ISA and probably still improve a bit over them as well as having phantom available for condenser mics.

Running low impedance mics into the 1/4" mic inputs without the transformer adapters is even do-able but not what I would call ideal.

If you do get an external micpre I would say try using the inserts on the 246 as line inputs and see if you prefer the sound of them to the normal line/mic inputs.
Old 11 hours ago
Quote:
428 cassette recorder.

I was thinking about getting a ISA One to get some nice clean preamp sounds into the somewhat gritty tape.
Wouldn't the cassette recorder already do this to some point?. As the others said. Its up to you and how you want it to sound in the end.
📝 Reply