Quantcast
Is it unwise to run 220V European TASCAM 238 on UK 240V voltage? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is it unwise to run 220V European TASCAM 238 on UK 240V voltage?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Is it unwise to run 220V European TASCAM 238 on UK 240V voltage?

My mint condition European model 220V (47W, 50Hz) TASCAM 238 turned up today and cosmetically it's like it's just left the factory. I was just about to turn it on and then I thought I'd check the back to see if it was a 220V model or if it had a selectable voltage. Apparently there were 4 models produced .

USA /CANADA 120V 60Hz
UK / AUSTRALIA 240V 50Hz
GENERAL EXPORT 120 /220 /240V 50/60Hz
EUROPEAN 220V 50Hz

Mine is fixed at 220V, 50Hz. After reading many threads, apparently there was some kind of European harmonisation around 2009, when new products would be made to a spec of 230v with +10/-6% tolerance. But this unit was made well before that, 1991 perhaps?
I've read about a buck transformer or auto transformer which one I've found is around £85.

AIM 5.0/2.5 | Block Enclosed Autotransformer, 115 V ac, 230 V ac Primary, 115 V ac, 220 V ac, 230 V ac Secondary | RS Components
uk.rs-online.com uk.rs-online.com

I measured the voltage coming out of my wall out of curiosity....it was 242V

Any opinions on what to do?
Cheers,
Al
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There is a fair amount of gear in the USA that says 110V, but runs on 120V just fine...
+10% puts it at 240V...
The power transformer will have no problem, the regulators might, but it should be OK...
IF it was me I would add a fuse...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Those are nominal figures. There is no wall socket in the world that runs at exactly 240v or 120v.

For the most part 220v and 240v are interchangeable. Same as 110v and 120v.

I would though make sure your cycles were matched up. If it is expecting 50hz don't plug it into something that is 60hz. I might be wrong on that but you will probably find some anomalies if you did. I don't think it would explode or anything...but some audio glitching maybe. Same as plugging a 60hz computer monitor into a plug running at 50hz. You would probably get some weird screen refresh issues.

EDIT:

Just did some quick research and you can use 50hz gear on 60hz mains but not 60hz gear on 50hz mains...Who knew
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The European ( inc. UK ) standard is 230v. 50hz

M.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…