Quantcast
Heil PR40 Low Audio - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Heil PR40 Low Audio
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Heil PR40 Low Audio

I am trying to diagnose a problem with our Heil PR40. We have noticed the audio level to be extremely low. We fear there may be an issue with the microphone.

Although we do not have another PR40 to compare against we have two other dynamic microphones and the other dynamics require 40db less gain on our microphone preamp.

Currently in the chain we have:
  1. Heil PR40
  2. Cloudlifter (adds about 25db gain)
  3. MIC2200 (50db of gain on input and 15db more on output)
This brings us to about -6 to -3db into the mixer.

This would appear to be approximately 90db of gain. Of course we are experiencing a fair amount of hiss. We did a full check of all the cables, connections, ect and narrowed it down to the microphone. Although the other dynamic mics we have are different, there cannot be that large of a difference can there?

Any insight, especially from someone who has a PR40 would be most helpful.

TIA
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You do have the phantom power on (the cloudlifter needs it)?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Is the PR40 brand new to you or have you had it a while and recently developed the problem?

While the mic has the appearance of large diaphragm condenser which one talks/sings into the side, the PR40 is an 'end-fired' mic that you talk/sing into the end of the mic like most other dynamic mics and not the side. Being a super-cardioid pattern it may tend to be less sensitive as you move off center from the front of the end. At 2.0mv/PA sensitivity, it's not a mic with a really hot output, but is a bit more that an SM57. With a Cloudlifter you shouldn't have a problem and even the MIC2200 should have enough gain without the CL, although noise may become an issue at higher gain.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

The mic seemed to develop the issue over time. Yes, we are aware of the endfire characteristic (i.e. speak directly into the end vs side). Also using the cloudlifter as designed, phantom power ect.

At a high level even with the Cloudlifter we are running the MIC2200 at 80%+ which is bringing in a lot of hiss/white noise.

As we have verified all the cabling/equipment ect. my belief is the microphone must have some sort of issue, unless it really needs that much gain. If there is anyone else out there with a PR40 do let me know.

Thank-you...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
As MarkF said you shouldn't even need the Cloudlifter as the Behringer provides 60db up front and another 20db in makeup gain as well.

The PR40 has a pretty similar output to an SM57 or most other "standard" dynamic mics.

In checking things out I would suggest ditching the Cloudlifter as it's just complicating things in this situation.

Not sure what you are running the Mic2200 into and if that's all proper or not.

I would set the input gain on the 2200 to about 50db and add another 10db on the output (I know you said your's has 50db max on the frontend and 15db on the back but are you sure about that?).

If the 2200 is plugged into your interface's line input (I'm assuming you are going to a computer audio interface) then a good strong voice a couple of inches from the mic should get you somewhere around -20dbfs or so in your recording software.

I'm assuming you are plugging the mic into the xlr input of the 2200 and you have the button on the front of the unit set to mic, silly I know but I have to ask. I've certainly missed some pretty basic stuff occasionally over the years not paying attention or being distracted and had things not work because I plugged into the wrong channel or didn't have the right button selected on something.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Yes. We have tried that.

We have not used the Cloudlifter and did use only the MIC2200 mic preamp. In that case we are not able to get sufficient gain. Barely any lights nothing close to -6 or -3. Of courses running the gain at 80%-100% what audio is there is full of hiss.

To clarify, we narrowed things down to the mic as opposed to the microphone preamplifier as we have other dynamics and if we run them at the same level they are clipping and red lights all over making it necessary for us to bring things back down to what one would normally expect.

Not really concerned beyond the microphone preamplifier as I can see no audio is making it to the preamp, never mind further down the chain.

My guess is the mic has somehow lost its sensitivity as needing a Cloudlifter and having the preamplifier at 80-100% cannot be normal? A bit of doubt not having another PR40 to test, but guessing we may need to send in for warranty.
๐Ÿ“ Reply