The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Small desktop/computer 2.1 system
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Small desktop/computer 2.1 system

Hi,

I am looking to possibly acquire a tiny consumer desktop 2.1 system for checking how my mixes sound on it.

I would like something decent and have no idea about that field.

I heard good things about MediaDesk MKII 2.1 and love the idea of a sealed enclosure design to avoid messy resonances. It seems it is nowhere to be found in Germany in 2021.

Any recommendation?

Cheers!
Old 3 days ago
I'm going to recommend against this.

If this is for general mixing and production, you need studio monitors. Something like the Kali LP6 is about the entry point to trustworthy monitors If you have a large, well treated room and the budget for it you can add a sub.

If this is for testing compatibility for consumer endpoint listening, it's not the 1990s any more and small 2.1 systems are no longer common for music listening, so using this as a mix reference makes little sense. Checking on basic earbuds makes sense, as does checks on a car stereo and probably on a portable Bluetooth speaker.

A small 2.1 desktop multimedia system puts you in limbo between these two useful options.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the answer.

I in fact may have given the wrong impression: I am using a pair of studio monitors (and soon will audition Amphion One 15 and 18 here). I also check with earbuds, cars, and my Bose bluetooth bar.

I was looking for a solution to check bass content with consumer quality only, but you're very right, it's not the 90s anymore (you caught me with this one )

Still, I don't feel a sub is right in my room as it's not very well treated and I like to avoid driving around just to check the energy of the low end...

cheers!
Old 3 days ago
My home studio is also in a modest spare bedroom. It has some treatment, but there is no realistic way to get the bass under control. A sub would just make things worse.

And I make EDM and hard rock. So low end matters. Thus far I have been mixing on 5-6" size studio monitors which, at best, can only be trusted down to about 60Hz.

So, I do some low end checks onv decent studio, over ear, open back headphones as part of my process. Kick and bass interaction and compression behaviour being one thing I listen to very carefully. Overall low end balance and extension being another. Also any low frequency phase issues.

I also run a steep digital minimum phase low cut filter to chop off any stuff below audible range along with stopping any chance of DC offset.

Oh, and my other main check is to run the mix on the monitors much softer than my normal working level (my DAW literally has a -20dB Dim button on the monitor bus so I am clearly not the first person to rely on this) and this often shows up and gross level and frequency imbalances such as too little bass of vocals being a bit masked. Cranking the monitors louder tends to show whether there vibe and groove is there as the counterpoint.

My point being that with one pair of near field monitors and a pair of studio headphones you can already hear the mix a number of different ways and cover most of the bases.

This seems to be sufficient for me to have mixes translate on systems ranging from club sound systems through to earbuds. Give it a try.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for taking the time. Seems we have a somewhat comparable situation, and I notice I do prefer a smaller but accurate/fast transient monitoring situation.

I also use low volume really often, indeed.

Thanks for helping me stop worrying about low end. I struggled with it recently on my old pair of monitors, but I believe it's because it's a ported design that blurs things greatly (Dynaudio DBM50) in my room.

I took out an old pair of NS10 and although they don't go too low, the nature of the sound reproduction helped me getting better results including in the low end.

That's the reason I will next audition Amphion speakers here, seems it could be the right step up from NS10. We'll see.

I have a DT150 headphone that is good I find. Maybe there's something more helpful out there. What so you use?
Old 3 days ago
AKG 240S Studio II.
📝 Reply