The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which is should i use? Pro Tools or Nuendo?
Old 2 weeks ago
Which is should i use? Pro Tools or Nuendo?

Hi. I am very confused about when i switch to professional mixing life at future, which DAW is the best one? Avid Pro Tools or Steinberg Nuendo? I am confused because mostly professional Disney recording studios use Avid Pro Tools, not Nuendo or Steinberg stuffs. Can i ask why? Both are old and professional DAW's. What's the exact differences between Pro Tools and Nuendo?

I only know Pro Tools didn't support VST's but Nuendo does... But VST's are important? AAX Plugins are bad? Pro Tools only support AAX.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
You're not going to get a consensus answer on this I think.

I think Nuendo is a more complete and better DAW than Pro Tools. I do post production so there are differences between what I do and people in music.

Some of the tasks that some people who use Pro Tools do will include using products outside of Pro Tools. So in a typical professional studio you have the DAW, the interface, and a studio monitor controller. That controller can get expensive if you want quality. Nuendo has a function called "Control Room" and it does a lot of what a hardware controller does. Having that integrated is great in my opinion. It also has a media asset manager ("Media Bay") for searching sound effects, presets, projects, midi files etc. (PT users often end up with "Soundminer" etc). It has built-in ADR functionality... and so on.

So it's not really that there are things you can't do if you choose Pro Tools, it's that you may have to spend more to get it that functionality and then have to integrate multiple components into one system.

Disney probably records using Pro Tools because Pro Tools is great (just like Nuendo) but it's also pretty much the industry standard in North America. If you want to work in post in the US then you need to know Pro Tools. Disney recording music is basically falling in the "post" category more or less simply because they do that for movies. If you're looking at the music industry as a whole there will be more variation, especially if you're looking globally and take into account all the hobbyists.

VST vs AAX: You'll just have to figure out what tools you need and which formats they support. So far I know of only iZotope's RX that works better in Pro Tools than Nuendo, but I'm going to try to move away from iZotope anyway for different reasons, so to me it doesn't really matter.

Which should you use?

First thing is you should figure out where you want do do work and if you either are going to work on other people's DAWs (in their studios) or if you need to hire engineers/producers to work in your studio. If you need either of that then you should choose whatever the 'standard' is where you are located.

The second thing is that you should look into if the people you will work with are going to require you to send over a session/project file as part of the delivery requirements, and not just audio files. It's been a very long time since I had that requirement and I only send out audio files. People ask me "Do you have Pro Tools at home?" and I say "Yes.", because I do, and then when they hire me I do the work in Nuendo instead if the specifications don't tell me to deliver a Pro Tools session. In other words most of the time they just don't care. But if they do care you'll need to have whatever they ask for.

Lastly, you can rent Pro Tools on a monthly basis. So in my situation owning Nuendo gives me the most I can get for the money, and in my opinion the "best". Whenever I need to work in Pro Tools I just pay the money to activate the license for as long as I need it. The work I do will pay for that cost.

If you want better and more precise answers you need to tell people where you are located and what you want to do in your DAW. Otherwise it's hard to give any recommendations.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc ➡️
You can say that again!
and just like that here comes a post from me and I say Get Pro Tools...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdem Alsirt
I am very confused about when i switch to professional mixing life at future, i which DAW is the best one
If you are a composer or artist, use whatever you like, they will only want your audio files. Do you want to be a professional mixer in the future? You might want to find out who is hiring people to mix and what software they prefer.
Quote:
Avid Pro Tools or Steinberg Nuendo? I am confused because mostly professional Disney recording studios use Avid Pro Tools, not Nuendo or Steinberg stuffs.

What's up with this "Disney" business?? It seems very arbitrary.

If you think that "Disney" is the beginning and ending of all professional work that your future life will be based on, you are confused. Disney is just one company. A big company, but there bigger ones. And smaller ones. Thousands of companies, hundreds of thousands of independent musicians, etc. If you have the skills, you could make a very nice living mixing and never get one gig from Disney.

But as mattiasnyc said, it really depends on the "world" you are in. The people you get jobs from or the people you give jobs to. In my own world, we often add guitars, keyboard and percussion to projects started elsewhere. Or we mix things that were entirely recorded elsewhere. Only some of our work is start-to-finish 'in house'. And in my "world" when someone asks over the phone "where do I send The Files?" it is not even necessary to specify that these will be Pro Tools Files. This could be different elsewhere.

But as was also said above, people can still send stuff in or get stuff out as just plain old wav files. It's not that we can't work with someone who doesn't have the same DAW as us, just that there are one or two extra "steps". Now in some areas of the industry, the back and forths are very numerous and the deadlines very short, so those extra steps could really add up. This pushes people to settle on a standard. Where I am, that standard is Pro Tools. I guess it may be the same for "Disney". Better or worse is irrelevant.

A software can also be favored for other kinds of "compatibility" - for example if I get sick or go on vacation, my employer has a much easier time finding a substitute engineer around here that knows Pro Tools than he would finding someone around here who knows Nuendo. That is a reason for him to stick to PT as well as a reason for freelancers to learn PT.

But this may be different in other markets. If you are going to choose your DAW mainly in terms of potential "work", you have to research your market.

Quote:
Can i ask why? Both are old and professional DAW's. What's the exact differences between Pro Tools and Nuendo?
You said it yourself. Both are professional DAWs. That means that Disney or whoever, could use either one in terms of "quality" and probably instead made their choice on other criteria like compatibility, workflow, hardware add-ons, staffing, etc.

Quote:
I only know Pro Tools didn't support VST's but Nuendo does... But VST's are important? AAX Plugins are bad? Pro Tools only support AAX.
VST and AAX are simply two formats of plugins. AU is another one. Many many companies make their plugins available in multiple formats and if they do, they will sound identical. For example, Izotope Ozone 9 comes with versions for AAX, VST 2, VST 3, AU, NKS. The only difference is that the AAX will open in Pro Tools and the VST one will open in Nuendo and the AU one will open in Logic. In all cases, it is the same Ozone 9 and will work and sound the same. None sounds "better" or "worse".

True, there are some plugins that are available "VST only" or "AAX only" or "AU only". Then you might be out of luck for that specific plugin, but I cannot think of one thing where there is no alternative.

It would be pretty rare if a specific plugin was so important to you and so limited in available formats that it would actually influence your choice of DAW. Slight edge to VST for independent self-recording musicians, because there are more Free plugs in the VST format, it seems.

Obviously if you want to work for "Disney" - getting Pro Tools would be at least a slight advantage. Because that's what they use. I love Pro Tools, I think it is great for mixing. I have more AAX plugins than I could ever even use. And in my "world", it brings me more work than Nuendo ever would. But that's just how it looks from where I stand. YMMV
Quote:

I think Nuendo is a more complete and better DAW than Pro Tools. I do post production so there are differences between what I do and people in music.

Some of the tasks that some people who use Pro Tools do will include using products outside of Pro Tools. So in a typical professional studio you have the DAW, the interface, and a studio monitor controller. That controller can get expensive if you want quality. Nuendo has a function called "Control Room" and it does a lot of what a hardware controller does. Having that integrated is great in my opinion. It also has a media asset manager ("Media Bay") for searching sound effects, presets, projects, midi files etc. (PT users often end up with "Soundminer" etc). It has built-in ADR functionality... and so on.

So it's not really that there are things you can't do if you choose Pro Tools, it's that you may have to spend more to get it that functionality and then have to integrate multiple components into one system.

Disney probably records using Pro Tools because Pro Tools is great (just like Nuendo) but it's also pretty much the industry standard in North America. If you want to work in post in the US then you need to know Pro Tools. Disney recording music is basically falling in the "post" category more or less simply because they do that for movies. If you're looking at the music industry as a whole there will be more variation, especially if you're looking globally and take into account all the hobbyists.

VST vs AAX: You'll just have to figure out what tools you need and which formats they support. So far I know of only iZotope's RX that works better in Pro Tools than Nuendo, but I'm going to try to move away from iZotope anyway for different reasons, so to me it doesn't really matter.

Which should you use?

First thing is you should figure out where you want do do work and if you either are going to work on other people's DAWs (in their studios) or if you need to hire engineers/producers to work in your studio. If you need either of that then you should choose whatever the 'standard' is where you are located.

The second thing is that you should look into if the people you will work with are going to require you to send over a session/project file as part of the delivery requirements, and not just audio files. It's been a very long time since I had that requirement and I only send out audio files. People ask me "Do you have Pro Tools at home?" and I say "Yes.", because I do, and then when they hire me I do the work in Nuendo instead if the specifications don't tell me to deliver a Pro Tools session. In other words most of the time they just don't care. But if they do care you'll need to have whatever they ask for.

Lastly, you can rent Pro Tools on a monthly basis. So in my situation owning Nuendo gives me the most I can get for the money, and in my opinion the "best". Whenever I need to work in Pro Tools I just pay the money to activate the license for as long as I need it. The work I do will pay for that cost.

If you want better and more precise answers you need to tell people where you are located and what you want to do in your DAW. Otherwise it's hard to give any recommendations.
Frankly, I think of becoming a voice actor and singer in the future. I am 21 now and I am thinking of going to the conservatory in the future. Maybe you will be surprised, but I am Turkish. I guess I am the only Turk in this forum. I did not have a goal to work for America. However, I always made it a fantasy in my mind by saying Pro Tools, I don't know why. It makes me feel cool and because the interface is complicated and difficult, I believe it works more of the brain and increases their reasoning abilities.

But of course I would never buy Pro Tools or Nuendo without a true studio microphone, studio monitor headphones and speakers, industry standard acoustic seals.

The first DAW I used was FL Studio. I have been using FL Studio since 2016. At first I used it for music production and later for post production (for vocal recordings and mixes of generic music and voiceover).

Maybe I'll buy the student version of Pro Tools. While working with FL Studio 20, I have learned the basics of Pro Tools on some days.

Frankly, I have no experience in professional life. But if there's one thing I know, my country's recording studio for Disney is using Pro Tools. I know this because I have seen it. Actually, it is a huge building. So it wouldn't be right to just call it "studio". You can think of it as a huge hospital-size building with many floors. When you get inside, 20 studio rooms greet you. Each room has different microphones and computers, studio equipment. Think about it, probably the richest one studio in my country ... According to the information on Wikipedia, that studio was established in 1981 (Before Pro Tools was born...) (They probably used Soundstream DAW which is world's first DAW uses old tapes). I was proud of my country. Pretty old studio. Probably very experienced.

Also; I have weird fantesies about Nuemann u87 microphone. I mean, i am addicted to this microphone because sounds very very clear and industry standard. Even i think about i get all this professional studio equipments, even now i feel like too different person. I am 21 but i feel like i am a 40-50 years old when i think i were have all of these stuffs.

Also you're very informative, thanks...
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➡️
You can say that again!
and just like that here comes a post from me and I say Get Pro Tools...

If you are a composer or artist, use whatever you like, they will only want your audio files. Do you want to be a professional mixer in the future? You might want to find out who is hiring people to mix and what software they prefer.

What's up with this "Disney" business?? It seems very arbitrary.

If you think that "Disney" is the beginning and ending of all professional work that your future life will be based on, you are confused. Disney is just one company. A big company, but there bigger ones. And smaller ones. Thousands of companies, hundreds of thousands of independent musicians, etc. If you have the skills, you could make a very nice living mixing and never get one gig from Disney.

But as mattiasnyc said, it really depends on the "world" you are in. The people you get jobs from or the people you give jobs to. In my own world, we often add guitars, keyboard and percussion to projects started elsewhere. Or we mix things that were entirely recorded elsewhere. Only some of our work is start-to-finish 'in house'. And in my "world" when someone asks over the phone "where do I send The Files?" it is not even necessary to specify that these will be Pro Tools Files. This could be different elsewhere.

But as was also said above, people can still send stuff in or get stuff out as just plain old wav files. It's not that we can't work with someone who doesn't have the same DAW as us, just that there are one or two extra "steps". Now in some areas of the industry, the back and forths are very numerous and the deadlines very short, so those extra steps could really add up. This pushes people to settle on a standard. Where I am, that standard is Pro Tools. I guess it may be the same for "Disney". Better or worse is irrelevant.

A software can also be favored for other kinds of "compatibility" - for example if I get sick or go on vacation, my employer has a much easier time finding a substitute engineer around here that knows Pro Tools than he would finding someone around here who knows Nuendo. That is a reason for him to stick to PT as well as a reason for freelancers to learn PT.

But this may be different in other markets. If you are going to choose your DAW mainly in terms of potential "work", you have to research your market.

You said it yourself. Both are professional DAWs. That means that Disney or whoever, could use either one in terms of "quality" and probably instead made their choice on other criteria like compatibility, workflow, hardware add-ons, staffing, etc.

VST and AAX are simply two formats of plugins. AU is another one. Many many companies make their plugins available in multiple formats and if they do, they will sound identical. For example, Izotope Ozone 9 comes with versions for AAX, VST 2, VST 3, AU, NKS. The only difference is that the AAX will open in Pro Tools and the VST one will open in Nuendo and the AU one will open in Logic. In all cases, it is the same Ozone 9 and will work and sound the same. None sounds "better" or "worse".

True, there are some plugins that are available "VST only" or "AAX only" or "AU only". Then you might be out of luck for that specific plugin, but I cannot think of one thing where there is no alternative.

It would be pretty rare if a specific plugin was so important to you and so limited in available formats that it would actually influence your choice of DAW. Slight edge to VST for independent self-recording musicians, because there are more Free plugs in the VST format, it seems.

Obviously if you want to work for "Disney" - getting Pro Tools would be at least a slight advantage. Because that's what they use. I love Pro Tools, I think it is great for mixing. I have more AAX plugins than I could ever even use. And in my "world", it brings me more work than Nuendo ever would. But that's just how it looks from where I stand. YMMV
As Mattiasync said, your answers on this subject were very revealing. Good to know that. I intend to take this to the professional level in the future.

We are already in the pandemic period. It is not clear when the Corona virus will end. Perhaps it will never end and the "just work from home" period will begin in the future.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdem Alsirt ➡️
I am 21 now and I am thinking of going to the conservatory in the future. Maybe you will be surprised, but I am Turkish.
Not surprised. I had a roommate called Yildirim when I went to college, and I used to play with a guy called Ghengis... so, it looked Turkish-ish...

Quote:
Frankly, I think of becoming a voice actor and singer in the future.
I think you should ask around in your country / market about what people are using and expect you to deliver. Just give them a call. It won't take that much time and I'm sure people don't have a problem answering.

As a mix engineer I almost always get either audio files or AAF files from voice actors. I can't remember the last time I got something other than that. So in terms of delivery of VO/narration type content you probably will deliver that, which means either software can do the job.

In terms of you receiving something to work on that's different. You could ask for audio files and you could ask for AAF files. It shouldn't be a problem for the engineers you work with to provide you with that. But again, if you call and ask they may say that they prefer something else.

I think you should get the simplest version for the best price available if all you are going to do is record and edit. Both PT and Nuendo are great at it. One might be more intuitive than the other.
Quote:
Not surprised. I had a roommate called Yildirim when I went to college, and I used to play with a guy called Ghengis... so, it looked Turkish-ish...

I think you should ask around in your country / market about what people are using and expect you to deliver. Just give them a call. It won't take that much time and I'm sure people don't have a problem answering.

As a mix engineer I almost always get either audio files or AAF files from voice actors. I can't remember the last time I got something other than that. So in terms of delivery of VO/narration type content you probably will deliver that, which means either software can do the job.

In terms of you receiving something to work on that's different. You could ask for audio files and you could ask for AAF files. It shouldn't be a problem for the engineers you work with to provide you with that. But again, if you call and ask they may say that they prefer something else.

I think you should get the simplest version for the best price available if all you are going to do is record and edit. Both PT and Nuendo are great at it. One might be more intuitive than the other.
By the way, as far as I know, artists used to be given sheet music by the company to sing their generic songs or harmony vocal pieces in soundtracks. However, nowadays I know that premixes are given directly. So for example; Disney in the USA sends special Pro Tools Session Project files, namely premixes, to the recording studio in Turkey. The studio in my country opens this file and encounters a lot of audio channels. Maybe 5, maybe 10 or more ... Professional translators translate the language into Turkish and then open each vocal channel one by one, and the singers mimic the notes in the vocals they hear, but there is a difference; They sing each vocal in Turkish language.

Do you agree with me on this?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
nuendo is focused on film work. are you **literally** writing movie soundtracks? not wanting to be an actor... literally scoring films? if not, skip past nuendo.

protools is the leader in inter-studio music/audio file transfer. so if you plan to be working with other audio studios a lot, protools is the best choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearstudent ➡️
nuendo is focused on film work. are you **literally** writing movie soundtracks? not wanting to be an actor... literally scoring films? if not, skip past nuendo.

protools is the leader in inter-studio music/audio file transfer. so if you plan to be working with other audio studios a lot, protools is the best choice.
I don't write film soundtracks. But i am focused on voiceover and vocals.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
It's possible that happens, yes. If it's all within one parent company that's especially likely. It won't matter that much to you of course if there's an engineer in the studio doing it all and you just show up to sing. But yeah, PT is very widely used.
Quote:
It's possible that happens, yes. If it's all within one parent company that's especially likely. It won't matter that much to you of course if there's an engineer in the studio doing it all and you just show up to sing. But yeah, PT is very widely used.
By the way Turkey's Disney recording studio uses FabFilter Pro-C. Why Pro-C? This is the best compressor?
Old 1 week ago
By the way today i do new dubbing cover work! It's good? All vocals from me.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
By the way Turkey's Disney recording studio uses FabFilter Pro-C. Why Pro-C? This is the best compressor?
I am sure it is "fine". There is no "best" compressor and skilled engineers can use many different tools to achieve the same excellent results.

Often decisions to purchase something are made on the corporate level. The motivations for these decisions may include a recording engineer's judgement, but may also include money things. Such as "deals" being offered by the software companies for Site Licenses and Quantity Discounts.

Or maybe the head engineer likes Pro Tools and Fab Filter but the next head engineer will prefer something else and he will make everybody switch. Even if your only goal is to "work for Turkish Disney", you would be well advised to learn how to use compressors and not merely how to use Fab Filter compressors.

Quote:
By the way today i do new dubbing cover work! It's good? All vocals from me
Do you want to work as "Disney" engineer, or as a "Disney" voiceover artist? You should decide which, and focus your efforts on one or the other. The next time you are at the Disney headquarters, ask how many of their voiceover talents are self-engineering.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Nuendo is Steinberg's flagship product and currently I think $1000. Unless you need surround sound support and some other stuff not in Cubase, you should consider buying Cubase instead, at $550. You could always upgrade later. Other than the more advanced features, the interfaces are the same, so there would be nothing to relearn.

Similarly, Protools is around $30 per month or $300 per year subscription, or $550 for a "perpetual" license, whereas Pro Tools Ultimate is way more expensive. And it sounds like you do not really need the more advanced features.

As others have noted, Pro Tools is an industry standard, so worth learning how to use. Personally I would choose Logic if you are on Mac. For $200 you get everything you need to record and edit audio and midi, which is hard to beat. I currently own and use Cubase, Logic, Pro Tools, and Live, but Logic is my favorite. I'm sure I will be flamed for that but whatever.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jweisbin ➡️
Logic is my favorite. I'm sure I will be flamed for that but whatever.
Definitely not. It's ok to have a favorite.

In this case though if he's targeting those industries I still think either Cubase/Nuendo or PT are the better choices, just because we don't really see any other software used for audio post in any serious manner... well, maybe Reaper, but for less advanced things it seems.
Quote:
I am sure it is "fine". There is no "best" compressor and skilled engineers can use many different tools to achieve the same excellent results.

Often decisions to purchase something are made on the corporate level. The motivations for these decisions may include a recording engineer's judgement, but may also include money things. Such as "deals" being offered by the software companies for Site Licenses and Quantity Discounts.

Or maybe the head engineer likes Pro Tools and Fab Filter but the next head engineer will prefer something else and he will make everybody switch. Even if your only goal is to "work for Turkish Disney", you would be well advised to learn how to use compressors and not merely how to use Fab Filter compressors.

Do you want to work as "Disney" engineer, or as a "Disney" voiceover artist? You should decide which, and focus your efforts on one or the other. The next time you are at the Disney headquarters, ask how many of their voiceover talents are self-engineering.
We have a general problem you know. The Corona virus. I prefer work at home. Soon i plan to build my professional home studio if we can solve the money problem first. I think Pro Tools best because Whenever any company asks you to dub something (it could be a voiceover or a song dub), you have the chance to open the AAF file they will give you and access all the original vocals and then you re-sing it as your native language. When you got a premix, you don't have to work about harmonies. Just mute other vocals and listen every vocal channel and just imitate it. Do you understand what i mean?
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweisbin ➡️
Nuendo is Steinberg's flagship product and currently I think $1000. Unless you need surround sound support and some other stuff not in Cubase, you should consider buying Cubase instead, at $550. You could always upgrade later. Other than the more advanced features, the interfaces are the same, so there would be nothing to relearn.

Similarly, Protools is around $30 per month or $300 per year subscription, or $550 for a "perpetual" license, whereas Pro Tools Ultimate is way more expensive. And it sounds like you do not really need the more advanced features.

As others have noted, Pro Tools is an industry standard, so worth learning how to use. Personally I would choose Logic if you are on Mac. For $200 you get everything you need to record and edit audio and midi, which is hard to beat. I currently own and use Cubase, Logic, Pro Tools, and Live, but Logic is my favorite. I'm sure I will be flamed for that but whatever.
I am a sound designer, post mixer, and music producer. I work for a media company. Interestingly, we have been with Nuendo since 2003 and are very pleased with it.

However, as to logic, many of the scoring artists we work with have been falling back from Pro Tools to Logic of late because they say it is more comfortable to compose within.

Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack ➡️
I am a sound designer, post mixer, and music producer. I work for a media company. Interestingly, we have been with Nuendo since 2003 and are very pleased with it.

However, as to logic, many of the scoring artists we work with have been falling back from Pro Tools to Logic of late because they say it is more comfortable to compose within.

Bob
I think choosing DAW's depending companies. For example if Disney always prefer to use Pro Tools, then all studios which is work for Disney, then they have to use Pro Tools because the AAF file only compatible with Pro Tools. Right?

Also, my mixing is good? What's your opinions?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
For example if Disney always prefer to use Pro Tools, then all studios which is work for Disney, then they have to use Pro Tools because the AAF file only compatible with Pro Tools. Right?

No, that's not right.

.AAF files are supposed to be open to any DAW or NLE that supports the format/protocol. So Avid's Pro Tools and Media Composer support it, Nuendo supports it, Resolve supports it, Adobe's software support it, and so on.

Recently I've had far worse experiences with Avid (PT and MC) and Adobe (Premiere) when interchanging AAF content. Even between Avid's PT and Media Composer you can get into real trouble sometimes.

So anyway, if you work from stems they could be delivered as

- AAF file
- Pro Tools session
- Nuendo project
- .WAV audio files

So just because it's "stems" or "premixes" it doesn't tell you how it's delivered, just what it is.
Quote:

No, that's not right.

.AAF files are supposed to be open to any DAW or NLE that supports the format/protocol. So Avid's Pro Tools and Media Composer support it, Nuendo supports it, Resolve supports it, Adobe's software support it, and so on.

Recently I've had far worse experiences with Avid (PT and MC) and Adobe (Premiere) when interchanging AAF content. Even between Avid's PT and Media Composer you can get into real trouble sometimes.

So anyway, if you work from stems they could be delivered as

- AAF file
- Pro Tools session
- Nuendo project
- .WAV audio files

So just because it's "stems" or "premixes" it doesn't tell you how it's delivered, just what it is.
Can i ask how they can edit titles in the animation? I mean they can replace texts with their own native language... They send animation files too?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
I have no idea.
Here for the gear

Quote:
I think choosing DAW's depending companies. For example if Disney always prefer to use Pro Tools, then all studios which is work for Disney, then they have to use Pro Tools because the AAF file only compatible with Pro Tools. Right?
No. Only the full Pro Tools projects are non-interchangeable. I can take projects from ProTools, Logic, etc. via AAF or OMF. The last few imports have been via .wav files from a guy in Sweden who composes for several large outfits and works in Logic.

Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack ➡️
No. Only the full Pro Tools projects are non-interchangeable. I can take projects from ProTools, Logic, etc. via AAF or OMF. The last few imports have been via .wav files from a guy in Sweden who composes for several large outfits and works in Logic.

Bob
By the way can i make some agreements to get free AAF files from Disney and other companies for my hobby purposes? I think i rarely saw some hobby mixers can get AAF files. But i'm not sure. It's rarely happen maybe. I never get experienced with any AAF or OMF files before. I wonder how they are.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
By the way can i make some agreements to get free AAF files from Disney and other companies for my hobby purposes? I think i rarely saw some hobby mixers can get AAF files. But i'm not sure. It's rarely happen maybe.
I would think the odds of that are approximately zero.

All of those sorts of things at that level of content production is pretty tightly restricted. Heck, I've signed NDAs for the most nonsensical stuff that nobody cares about, so I would imagine Disney would not want that to happen.
Quote:
I would think the odds of that are approximately zero.

All of those sorts of things at that level of content production is pretty tightly restricted. Heck, I've signed NDAs for the most nonsensical stuff that nobody cares about, so I would imagine Disney would not want that to happen.
For those who are hobbyists in the future and promise no financial gain, maybe Disney can give some AAF files. That is, they can give the AAF promise of use as a third party. Maybe in the future.

After all, if you are not a corporate company, if you are mixing at home, it will not go beyond this hobby. For this reason, even if you want to make a financial gain, you cannot because YouTube blocks it. This is perfectly normal. People who mix for hobbyists often call it "fandub". This is considered as a third party as far as I know. So there is no financial gain, but you can share your work with your friends. Maybe if soon is some partnership agreement between Disney and YouTube, free AAF files may be given to friends with good or bad mix information. Just a guess. It's unlikely, of course. Because these contents are a great effort and companies naturally do not want these special files to be shared on the internet. They only rely on professional and corporate companies they trust.
Old 1 week ago
To be honest, i always search for Emperor's New School - Theme Song Studio Instrumental with Sound effects but there is no any offical release. Only if Disney share AAF, it can be possible. And i can imagine listening every vocals as single, it would be cool.
Here for the gear

Quote:
By the way can i make some agreements to get free AAF files from Disney and other companies for my hobby purposes? I think i rarely saw some hobby mixers can get AAF files. But i'm not sure. It's rarely happen maybe. I never get experienced with any AAF or OMF files before. I wonder how they are.
You know, when I was young and getting into the business back in 1981 I hoped for this same thing but the truth is that most companies are extremely concerned about pirate releases of their material and there is virtually no chance of getting them to release unmixed material. Another concern is having their material show up on YouTube with sub-professional quality material added, which might drag down their reputation for professionalism.

I know that the organization I work for hasn't done that. Besides any other factor, we are extremely busy and don't have time to oversee that sort of project.

Bob
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
There is also the matter of leaking plot points in some cases. Imagine you're Disney and you have a new Star Wars movie and the plot leaks. Never mind the piracy which is bad enough, but if people don't like the story when they read it they might not even go to the theater in the first place making opening-weekend box office numbers look bad which in turn may turn people off.

@ erdem Alsert

Your best bet is to find independent productions where this isn't a big issue. See if they are willing to help you out. Or film / audio schools.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
To be honest, i always search for Emperor's New School - Theme Song Studio Instrumental with Sound effects but there is no any offical release. Only if Disney share AAF, it can be possible. And i can imagine listening every vocals as single, it would be cool.
It would be 'cool', but it is not going to happen. The bottom line is that letting that stuff out is diluting their product.

Quote:
Your best bet is to find independent productions where this isn't a big issue. See if they are willing to help you out. Or film / audio schools.
agreed

People on your own level will be more willing to give you a chance. Even if you work for free, doing something original and for real will be a more impressive spot on your show reel than your practice remixes.

I think you need to cast a wider net. On the one hand, it might be a plus that you know what field you are interested in working in - dubbing cartoons into Turkish - but even in Turkey, dubbing cartoons is just one kind of voice over work and one kind of audio engineering work. And even within the cartoon field, Disney is just one company that makes cartoons. Sometimes you have to go where the work is, and not be so predetermined.

If you want "eventually" work for Disney, maybe you need to start out small and work your way up. Employers will ask what is your track record? What work have you done?

In addition to independent productions and schools, how about local radio stations? I have a friend who does voice-overs for local commercials. Often he gets to use his "cartoon" voices in little skits and comedic commercials.

How about creating original material to put on YouTube? Maybe you can find some people to collaborate with if you don't write. Maybe there are young ambitious writers and animators who are in the same boat as you. Perhaps they have cartoons but don't have a voice-over guy?

If you got a lot of hits on YouTube, maybe bigger potential employers would notice.
Quote:
It would be 'cool', but it is not going to happen. The bottom line is that letting that stuff out is diluting their product.

agreed

People on your own level will be more willing to give you a chance. Even if you work for free, doing something original and for real will be a more impressive spot on your show reel than your practice remixes.

I think you need to cast a wider net. On the one hand, it might be a plus that you know what field you are interested in working in - dubbing cartoons into Turkish - but even in Turkey, dubbing cartoons is just one kind of voice over work and one kind of audio engineering work. And even within the cartoon field, Disney is just one company that makes cartoons. Sometimes you have to go where the work is, and not be so predetermined.

If you want "eventually" work for Disney, maybe you need to start out small and work your way up. Employers will ask what is your track record? What work have you done?

In addition to independent productions and schools, how about local radio stations? I have a friend who does voice-overs for local commercials. Often he gets to use his "cartoon" voices in little skits and comedic commercials.

How about creating original material to put on YouTube? Maybe you can find some people to collaborate with if you don't write. Maybe there are young ambitious writers and animators who are in the same boat as you. Perhaps they have cartoons but don't have a voice-over guy?

If you got a lot of hits on YouTube, maybe bigger potential employers would notice.
You are right. I know that big companies like Disney are looking for professional and certified singers and voice actors. But how much is this needed? Isn't it enough just to have talent? Does Disney only accept people with academically trained voice training?
📝 Reply