Quantcast
Noises even when nothing is plugged into inputs - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Noises even when nothing is plugged into inputs
Old 27th January 2019
Here for the gear

Noises even when nothing is plugged into inputs

Hi,
New to the forums..did a search and didn't find anything specific to my issue..
I've owned a presonus firestudio mobile for almost ten years.
It's been great to work with however I'm still very much a newbie with production.
I recorded a new song the other day and noticed a lot of noise that sounded like tape hiss.
Checked my cables etc and still noise. Tried lowering volumes still tape hiss noise.
Today I decided to plug my headphones into the interface and not have anything plugged into the inputs and didn't have the day open.
Turned up the volume on the preamps for the inputs and had the same noise.
I'm assuming this means something is broken I'm the interface since the noise is occurring without anything plugged in and without my daw even open.
The noise can be heard in the headphones when plugged directly into the interface.
Thanks
Old 27th January 2019
Deleted e999d8e
Offhand, it sounds like you need a new interface. Could be some of the electronics just wore out, could be you had a voltage spike that caused damage....
Old 27th January 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e999d8e ➡️
Offhand, it sounds like you need a new interface. Could be some of the electronics just wore out, could be you had a voltage spike that caused damage....
That was my thinking too but wanted to ask those who have more experience than I.
Thanks
That little interface helped me with my senior year college project. Good times.
Old 27th January 2019
Deleted e999d8e
A little accident involving an electrical storm and a piece of audio gear taught me to always hook equipment up to surge suppressors. You may have had a different problem, though.
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bturner75 ➡️
...The noise can be heard in the headphones when plugged directly into the interface.
Thanks
Presumably also not due to any input gains mistakenly being set up higher than normal?
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne ➡️
Presumably also not due to any input gains mistakenly being set up higher than normal?
Yes I thought that might have been it when I had my microphones plugged into the inputs but this is occuring even with nothing plugged in to the inputs at all.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bturner75 ➡️
Yes I thought that might have been it when I had my microphones plugged into the inputs but this is occuring even with nothing plugged in to the inputs at all.
Is this happening for all files / songs that you open, even a 'fresh' 'new' project/session?

If it's the electronics inside the converter and you hear the noise using headphones, and it's different from before, then I'd also check without any software running.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc ➡️
Is this happening for all files / songs that you open, even a 'fresh' 'new' project/session?

If it's the electronics inside the converter and you hear the noise using headphones, and it's different from before, then I'd also check without any software running.
Yup and it occurs with no software running at all and just the headphones plugged into the presonus firestudio mobile itself with no instruments plugged in.
📝 Reply