Quantcast
Using studio monitors with TV - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Using studio monitors with TV
Old 18th January 2019
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Using studio monitors with TV

I have a tv router thing that has hdmi and toslink (optical) port. This connects to the tv via hdmi only currently. Now, I want my tv sound coming out of my hs7. What equipments should I look for? Like audio interface? Dac..?
Old 18th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Does the TV router/control box have RCA plugs on it? All the ones I've used in the past 10 years of so have them.
you should have a row of RCA jacks which are White, Red and Yellow. The red and white are your left and right audio outs. The Yellow wouldn't be used, its a Video signal feed.

All you need is an RCA to TS cable to connect the monitors and you should be good to go.

If your TV converter only had HDMI out then you'd obviously need a HDMI Audio Extractor like this... Comprehensive 4K HDMI Audio Extractor CPA-HDA3 B&H Photo Video

This unit is put in series with the signal using an additional HDMI cable and has an analog audio stereo out. To run the monitors you'd need a 3.5 mm TRS cable to two 1/4" TS in order to connect the monitors.

if you use a smart TV and no cable TV or direct dish box, then I'm not sure if that TV has a line level audio out. I'd need to see the manual on it.
I know on some kinds the TV will have RCA jacks which are connected to the audio amp. If the amp is producing sound the RCA ins are likely to work in parallel and provide a tap to the audio signal bi directionally unless the TV switches between HDMI and analog in's using a switch.
📝 Reply