Quantcast
Scarlett 2i2 with single monitor - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Scarlett 2i2 with single monitor
Old 9th January 2019
Here for the gear

Scarlett 2i2 with single monitor

We have a new Scarlett 2i2 that is USB connected to a laptop running Ableton Live. It is only connected by the USB cable. How do we connect a single powered monitor (Yamaha DBR10)? Thanks.
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
you have a choice between left or right. But you'll be in a conundrum since you'd only get just the right or left side.

If you're trying to monitor in mono, then you would have to within the IO for your channel out as Mono, and then adjust your master fader to a mono track.
Old 9th January 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks...could / should I use a dual 1/4" to a single 1/4" cable instead?
Old 9th January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete P โžก๏ธ
Thanks...could / should I use a dual 1/4" to a single 1/4" cable instead?

Definitely not. You never want to Y jack a stereo output to make it mono. You need to buffer the two channels from each other so you don't have one channel over power the other and feed one channel back into the output of another channel.

Example, I use a stereo to mono cable on the output of the interface. If I feed a strong signal in the left channel, there is nothing stopping that signal from feeding into the second channels output in reverse.

Cables are not one way doors. Once connected they feed bi directionally.

The proper way to combine two channels isn't with a cable, you do it with a mixer. This way the two outputs are buffered. Then you simply set both channels to mono center and feed a single monitor.

Thing is you already have this. In fact you likely have two sets of mixer which will mono the signals. You can do it within the DAW. You simply set the channels all to mono or use a stereo to mono plugin in the mains.
The left and right main outs will be identical then so y=using either the right or left output on the interface will give you the exact same results. No need to combine anything.

Some interface driver control panels also have a DSP mixer which controls how the interface works. Most will allow you to adjust the channels to feed left right or center on the way out. you could leave your daw sat for whatever stereo settings you use then use the DSP settings to mono the interface outs.

Once again you simply use one channel output.

Just realize, if you have the monitor plugged into the right and you use any pan controls, panning from center to right shouldn't do anything. Panning center to left is the same as turning the volume down. You have no left speaker so manning anything left is going no place.

Of course if you did use a stereo to mono out in the mains channel, turning a track pan knob shouldn't do anything. Its virtually disabled, but depending on the panning laws employed its possible to have a slight volume difference feeding 2 channels vs one.

On top of that, if you mono the tracks only then use stereo effects in the aux busses its possibly you can loose some of that stereo effect unless you use a stereo to mono plugin last in the chain after the stereo effects.
Old 9th January 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Thanks so much. We will give it a go. I am glad I asked.
Old 11th January 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

All worked out....thanks for great advice.
๐Ÿ“ Reply