Quantcast
Master is weak only on Apple earbuds - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Master is weak only on Apple earbuds
Old 8th January 2019
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Master is weak only on Apple earbuds

Is there any reason why a mix that my mastering engineer mastered only sounds weak on Apple earbuds? And by weak I mean you can’t even hear any audio without turning it up at least 40%. All other headphones and speakers I tested it on don’t have this issue.
Old 8th January 2019
Deleted e999d8e
Have you formed any theories yourself?
Old 8th January 2019
Deleted 2915a84
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndtripper ➡️
Is there any reason why a mix that my mastering engineer mastered only sounds weak on Apple earbuds? And by weak I mean you can’t even hear any audio without turning it up at least 40%. All other headphones and speakers I tested it on don’t have this issue.
Low LUFS and RMS.
Old 8th January 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e999d8e ➡️
Have you formed any theories yourself?
Because my mix is extremely average? If this was really the case I would assume that it would sound weak and thin on all sources.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 2915a84 ➡️
Low LUFS and RMS.
Sorry I’m not familiar with this. However, the levels weren’t low, it was a pretty hot mix. Still left headroom though.
Deleted 2915a84
Quote:
Sorry I’m not familiar with this. However, the levels weren’t low, it was a pretty hot mix. Still left headroom though.
Well, it’s more technical than this.

There are many discussions and debates on loudness.

They call it The Loudness Wars.

It shouldn’t be as drastic as you are experiencing. The engineer simply didn’t make it loud for some reason.
Old 8th January 2019
Lives for gear

I suspect that your master is not aligned to actual songs loudness,probably you are working with vintage material for the reference songs.
Buy a modern CD if you have only vintage songs at home ad you want learn to self-master to those levels.
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What's the genre? Earbuds in general (and, I think, Apple earbuds especially) don't reproduce bass frequencies well, so if you have a bass-heavy/mid-light mix with a lot of information in the <100 Hz range, that could conceivably produce a notable perceived level dropoff on earbuds compared to other transducers.
Old 10th January 2019
Here for the gear
Compare with other masters you know sound good on a system you are familiar with. If the problem persists then you it's the earbuds that are the problem
Old 10th January 2019
Quote:
It could be a million things form it not being mastered high enough to the average LUFS & RMS for that genre or it can your your earbuds.

No one can knows without having it in-front of them??
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…