Quantcast
Will this work? Hooking up studio monitors / subwoofer to 5.1 pre-outs on AV receiver - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Will this work? Hooking up studio monitors / subwoofer to 5.1 pre-outs on AV receiver
Old 31st December 2018
Here for the gear

Will this work? Hooking up studio monitors / subwoofer to 5.1 pre-outs on AV receiver

Hey there, not sure if this is the best place to post this but I just have a quick question.

I have an AV receiver with 5.1 pre-outs, and I have a few pairs of old studio monitors and a studio subwoofer. I was thinking of using them in my living room for a hopefully pretty-sweet 5.1 setup. I just want to verify this should work before I bother buying the necessary cables.

From what I understand, I can hook my powered monitors to the pre-outs on the receiver via some RCA to XLR cables. That's easy enough for the center and rear left/right monitors.

What I'm a little unsure of is how to hook up the studio subwoofer - it has XRL inputs and outputs for the left/right monitors. Do I simply go RCA from the receiver pre-outs (front left and right), to the XLR inputs on the subwoofer, then XRL out of the subwoofer into XLR on the left and right front monitors?

Am I missing anything or is it that easy?
Old 31st December 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
when hooking up monitors to a sub woofer, yes, both left and right would go into the subs inputs then the left and right out to each monitor and you'd be in business.

however, depending on your receiver, the L and R outs of your receiver could be EQ'd and not at full range. Plus, with the 5.1, bass is normally sent to the .1 sub channel. So your receiver is most likely functioning as a cross over.

If you want to go this route, then you'd really should connect the sub channel to the sub and L and R pre's to their perspective speakers.

but another option to look into with your receiver is if it has a stereo setting, where both L and R out are both full range. if that's the case, then you wire the monitors as mentioned in the first paragraph.
Old 31st December 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethbyoogabooga ➡️
If you want to go this route, then you'd really should connect the sub channel to the sub and L and R pre's to their perspective speakers.
Do I just hook up one of the subwoofer pre-outs to either one of the left or right inputs on the sub? My receiver has 2 subwoofer pre-outs, I could hook up both but they output the same thing so I'm guessing I don't need to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethbyoogabooga ➡️
but another option to look into with your receiver is if it has a stereo setting, where both L and R out are both full range. if that's the case, then you wire the monitors as mentioned in the first paragraph.
These are the sound modes / channel output for the receiver: Sound modes and channel output AVR-X3400H

It looks like it has a multi-channel stereo mode, is that what you're referring to?

Thanks for your time and help!
Old 1st January 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by e299ac ➡️
Do I just hook up one of the subwoofer pre-outs to either one of the left or right inputs on the sub? My receiver has 2 subwoofer pre-outs, I could hook up both but they output the same thing so I'm guessing I don't need to?

These are the sound modes / channel output for the receiver: Sound modes and channel output AVR-X3400H

It looks like it has a multi-channel stereo mode, is that what you're referring to?

Thanks for your time and help!
Looking at the manual, the fifth one that says stereo is probably the one you’d want. It loks to be full range for LR as well as having a subwoofer option.

According to the manual, under the speaker connection section, you have the capability for TWO separate subs Since you are only using one sub woofer, you would plug it into SW1 and have to set the settings for only one sub. No need to connect both SW1 and SW2 toyour subwoofer.
Old 2nd January 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Ok cool, that makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to look into that, appreciate it! Good to know I have a couple options on how to hook things up.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…