Quantcast
Help me understand ASIO - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help me understand ASIO
Old 12th March 2018
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Help me understand ASIO

I bought Samplitude as part of a package, because I was buying Spectralayers and the package was cheaper. Samplitude looks very interesting. But, in order to edit an audio object, I have to use ASIO and I am yet to find a way to do that without every other source of sound being blocked.

So far (windows 10), I have tried using ASIO4ALL, with and without Jack. And, also ASIO Link and Steinberg's asiomulti and no luck so far.

I use my motherboards sound chip which is a Realtek ALC892. ASIO4ALL lists an WDM driver for it.

For playback, I have the soundcard's speakers and nuraphone headphonse.

With or without "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" checked, if I start samplitude, web browsers don't produce sound.

The main reason this is bad now is that I am trying to follow samplitude tutorials.

================== My question ============

Is this roughly how this all works:

A WDM service discovers WDM devices and for playback devices, it will send sound to them.

An ASIO driver service runs and discovers drivers conforming to WDM somehow and will send sound to them.

A DAW or other application discovers ASIO services somehow and will send sound to them.

So, if I set a default playback device view windows mixer thingy, it doesn't mean it will use the ASIO driver.

So, for whatever reason, the ASIO driver isn't sending sound through the WDM driver to the playback device for me. And, I need a second sound card, or a multi-client ASIO thingy that looks like a device so it can be made the default playback device.
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Your issue is your sound cards.

Those are non professional windows sound cards which are only designed for "Windows Drivers" which are very slow. ASIO4ALL is a beta driver. It does not work with all windows sound cards and I can tell you first hand they don't work very well with Realtec cards.

Realtec can record up to 24/96 using windows drivers only. They barely run using ASIO4ALL at CD quality 16/44.1 and when I tried using them within Sonar the program simply crashed.

Its a matter of the chips on the cards. ASIO4ALL cant change the chips on the card.
You want to run pro audio programs you need a pro interface. Period.

Its not like you have to spend a mint buying the latest or greatest either.
If all you need is a stereo PCI card, you can pick an M-Audio 2496 for $20 M-Audio Audiophile 2496 - sound card Mac/PC w/cable 612391350109 | eBay You'll be able to multitrack with that card or do midi work too.
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For sure upgrading to a better interface would be your best option and if you get serious about using Samplitude will be pretty much essential, but for dipping your toe in the water, you could probably get this working well enough using Voicemeeter.

VB-Audio VoiceMeeter
Old 12th March 2018 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrgkmc ➡️
Your issue is your sound cards.

Those are non professional windows sound cards which are only designed for "Windows Drivers" which are very slow. ASIO4ALL is a beta driver. It does not work with all windows sound cards and I can tell you first hand they don't work very well with Realtec cards.

Realtec can record up to 24/96 using windows drivers only. They barely run using ASIO4ALL at CD quality 16/44.1 and when I tried using them within Sonar the program simply crashed.

Its a matter of the chips on the cards. ASIO4ALL cant change the chips on the card.
You want to run pro audio programs you need a pro interface. Period.

Its not like you have to spend a mint buying the latest or greatest either.
If all you need is a stereo PCI card, you can pick an M-Audio 2496 for $20 M-Audio Audiophile 2496 - sound card Mac/PC w/cable 612391350109 | eBay You'll be able to multitrack with that card or do midi work too.
Missing the point as usual.... sigh....
📝 Reply