Quantcast
Changing bitrate/sample rates of sound - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Changing bitrate/sample rates of sound
Old 4th January 2017
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Changing bitrate/sample rates of sound

ive been producing for a goodwhile now, but lately ive been uping my workflow and now im on to sample rate/bit rates. I dont know much about em, but i do know you can lower the bit rate of a sample too make it more gritty/dark etc.
But how is this done? i am using ableton, and i can only change the bitrate of my entire project, thank you
Old 4th January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
With a bitcrusher plugin.
Old 5th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Like unitymusic said, a bitcrusher program will do the trick. Lowering the sample rate will start behaving almost like a low pass filter, that is grittier and distorted. Lowering the bit depth makes it trashy and adds noise (there is math behind all those statements I swear!)

However they come in different shapes an sizes!

I've used the Blamsoft resampler/bitcrusher, and did not like it very much. Some of the sounds it could make were cool, but it did not behave or sound like you would want from a bitcrusher. I would recommend it as an effect, but not as a bitcrusher/resampler.

I just purchased Decimort 2, from D16 Software. Currently it gets my vote for my favorite bitcrusher plugin, and the best I have used so far. It has a re-quantizer that goes down to 1 bit, and a resampler that goes down to 44.1hz. It also has two anti aliasing filters, dithering, and a jitter function (which produces some really awesome effects!) It also has a preamp function, as it is supposedly designed to emulate old school ADC and DAC circuits from Akai samplers and such. Plus, it sounds great! Really gritty and low-fi if you want it to be, but can also be subtle if thats what you are looking for.

Hint: if you slap Decimort 2 onto something like a synth, or a piano or a sample (something with harmonies or melodies), turn on the first anti-aliasing filter, and start automating or twisting the knob you can make some really interesting pitch shifting effects happen.
Old 5th January 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitymusic ➡️
With a bitcrusher plugin.
cheers man
Old 5th January 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbDelux ➡️
Like unitymusic said, a bitcrusher program will do the trick. Lowering the sample rate will start behaving almost like a low pass filter, that is grittier and distorted. Lowering the bit depth makes it trashy and adds noise (there is math behind all those statements I swear!)

However they come in different shapes an sizes!

I've used the Blamsoft resampler/bitcrusher, and did not like it very much. Some of the sounds it could make were cool, but it did not behave or sound like you would want from a bitcrusher. I would recommend it as an effect, but not as a bitcrusher/resampler.

I just purchased Decimort 2, from D16 Software. Currently it gets my vote for my favorite bitcrusher plugin, and the best I have used so far. It has a re-quantizer that goes down to 1 bit, and a resampler that goes down to 44.1hz. It also has two anti aliasing filters, dithering, and a jitter function (which produces some really awesome effects!) It also has a preamp function, as it is supposedly designed to emulate old school ADC and DAC circuits from Akai samplers and such. Plus, it sounds great! Really gritty and low-fi if you want it to be, but can also be subtle if thats what you are looking for.

Hint: if you slap Decimort 2 onto something like a synth, or a piano or a sample (something with harmonies or melodies), turn on the first anti-aliasing filter, and start automating or twisting the knob you can make some really interesting pitch shifting effects happen.
So with Decimort can do something small and smooth, then all the way to big and rough?
Old 6th January 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsb ➡️
So with Decimort can do something small and smooth, then all the way to big and rough?
Yes. Especially with the optional jitter function.

It sounds best on drums/percussion/samples in my opinion, but can be used for anything really. Bitcrushers LITERALLY lower the quality of your audio.
Old 6th January 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
If you want to play with bit depth and sample rate reduction for free then Tritik Krush might be worth grabbing. It also has distortion, resonant filter, and modulation for all of the above. A nice freebie.
📝 Reply