Quantcast
What is this horrible noise on my vocals? What causes it? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is this horrible noise on my vocals? What causes it?
Old 3rd January 2017
What is this horrible noise on my vocals? What causes it?

I've tried recording in different rooms and different spots, but it's still present on my vocals. I've cut a few examples out of my track to show to y'all. There's a bit of dead space in-between so just bare with it...

It's like... WOHOAM.. after I say something.

Can't figure out whether it's my mic or what. I'm using a CAD U37 USB (I know, blast me).

Anyway I can EQ this out? Is it the mic? Is it the room? What is causing it? And can it be removed?

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1LRlbKOKMfc
Old 3rd January 2017
Hmmm.

The offending frequencies seem to be between 100-200hz, and I can't seem to get rid of the noise completely without taking away from the vocal. If the noise wasn't there to begin with, I'd be happy, but I've no idea where it's coming from, or what's creating it.

Could someone perhaps check the noise in an EQ and see what's happening there?

From what I can see... it's like a little mound of frequencies
Old 5th January 2017
Bump.

How do I get rid of that? How do I prevent this noise from happening? I'd like to know what's causing it... because it seems to happen no mater what distance away from the I'm recording. I'm pretty sure it's that little mound of frequencies in the 100-200 area creating that noise.
Old 5th January 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hard to say really without knowing more about your recording chain?

Are you using a gate or compressor or anything else between your mic cable and your pre-amp/daw?

If 'yes', my first step to troubleshoot would be to make the chain as simple as possible and test again.
Old 5th January 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarfungo ➑️
Hard to say really without knowing more about your recording chain?

Are you using a gate or compressor or anything else between your mic cable and your pre-amp/daw?

If 'yes', my first step to troubleshoot would be to make the chain as simple as possible and test again.
Nope. Just a CAD U37 USB mic. No effects. RAW recording.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
To me it sounds like the room. Have you tried a duvet or two around the mic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteGJ ➑️
To me it sounds like the room. Have you tried a duvet or two around the mic?
I've tried it in different rooms around the house, and I've tried putting some sheets behind it. It's still there. Quite baffling.

I'll do more experimenting and get back to you.
Old 5th January 2017
It's still there. Tried talking under the duvet with it. Comes out horribly during compression.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Weird. Have you tried the mic with other systems?
Old 5th January 2017
Deleted 3cb98a6
Comes out horrible after compressing?

Maybe the problem lies in the compression?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pief ➑️
Comes out horrible after compressing?

Maybe the problem lies in the compression?
No. It's still there before compression, but it's even worse after. It's ruining my recordings.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It's very likely a combination of room and possibly proximity effect. It's a real double-whammy for the home studio - you don't have a great room, so you get up on the mic, which introduce proximity effect issues.

Would be helpful to post a longer example though; a single syllable is hard to judge on.

Putting sheets or foam or a duvet behind you, or anywhere, will do absolutely nothing to reduce low-mids. On the other hand, it WILL cut down reflections around 1000Hz and above - leaving you with, proportionally, even MORE of the lower end room resonances in your mic. The only way to reduce that kind of room tone is with some proper acoustic treatment - see stuff like GIK or the home-made equivalent. Even the people selling foam panels will, if they're honest, post data indicating just how little they do to absorb lower frequencies.
Old 5th January 2017
Is it possible that the sound is vibrations from the surface it's on? Maybe it's vibrating up the stand of the mic when I talk or something...
πŸ“ Reply