Quantcast
Buchardt Audio Accounces The A500 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Buchardt Audio Accounces The A500
Old 22nd January 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Buchardt Audio Accounces The A500

So, I didn't see a topic about this, which is understandable as Buchardt isn't a well-known brand in the studio monitor business, but they have quite the offering that I think you guys might be interested in.

Buchardt Audio recently released the S400, which received rave reviews for their design, wide sound dispersion, and accurate sound reproduction. Now, they're releasing a new monitor that builds on the S400's design, with some huge improvements and a new approach to room-correction, dsp and wireless sound systems. The A500 is an active, sealed 3-way monitor that promises to extremely low distortion, a freq response from 25hz - 40khz +-1.5db, WISA and Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity for home and professional use.

The A500 can be connected to other WISA devices and controlled wirelessly with their wireless hub and remote (sold separately).

Technical Specifications:
Quote:
Amplifiers: 3 x 150 watt class D Amplifiers (each speaker)

Operating principle: 2.5-way Or 3-way sealed enclosure

Tweeter: 1 x 0,74" Custom fine weave soft fabric textile with CDC aluminum waveguide

Mid / woofer: 1 x 6" linear long stroke paper cone

Rear / subwoofer: 1 x 6" linear long stroke paper cone

Frequency response: 25 - 40.000 Hz +/- 1.5dB

DSP: Quad Core processor

DAC chip: Dual CS4398

Crossover Point: 150 hz / 2800 hz

Wireless: WiSA 24 bit / 96khz lossless. Can be paired across brands up to 7.1 setup

Cabled analogue input: Balanced / unbalanced XLR

Measurements (h x w x d): 365 x 180 x 280 mm

Input voltage: 100-240 Volts AC auto adjusting (EU & US power cords incl.)

Weight: 25 kg / pair

The A500 starts at €3500 for the pair, but can be pre-ordered for €3200.
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The A500 is promising to be something very special, if it's basically an improved and active version of the S400 that we really like ( Buchardt Audio S400 ). Can't wait to give it a proper test drive!
Old 23rd January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidtrax ➑️
The A500 is promising to be something very special, if it's basically an improved and active version of the S400 that we really like ( Buchardt Audio S400 ). Can't wait to give it a proper test drive!
I'm excited about it too, as I've been eyeing the S400 and was planning to purchase it, but this seems like the much better buy.

Though I really won't compare the two; they have similar designs and perhaps a similar tone, but from the specs and features, the A500 is in a completely different class to the S400.

I think for what they're offering, the price is great but I'd need to save up for this baby.

I'm a bit skeptical about their room correction though, as they're using iPhones to mic and measure the signals, although the correction is only applied to the low mids and sub band... I believe <250hz
Old 24th January 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Soon to follow A700

Mads Buchardt: β€œ A700 floorstander : All the same jazz, just with 4 x 150 w amps and a 3.5 way design instead of a 2.5 way or 3 way depending on the configuration of the A500. This will have waveguide, 6" midrange, 2 x 6" woofers in front (17-200hz) and on the back 2 x 6" woofers (17-100hz).

A700 would be 5000 euro including VAT, TAX, import fees and worldwide shipping.β€œ
Old 25th February 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Do these count as a sealed design ?
Old 25th February 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by JblKid95 ➑️
Do these count as a sealed design ?
Yes, mostly because they are.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrremlin ➑️
Yes, mostly because they are.
Any experience with them in music production ? Are the bright dark? Etc
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by JblKid95 ➑️
Any experience with them in music production ? Are the bright dark? Etc
They haven't been released yet.
Old 7th April 2020
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
These speakers seem to pack a lot for the money, and to even open doors for revolutionary workflows... nobody got a chance to ear them yet?
Old 8th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRobinSTB ➑️
These speakers seem to pack a lot for the money, and to even open doors for revolutionary workflows... nobody got a chance to ear them yet?
I'm not sure they're released yet. Buchardt Audio received a lot of praise for the S400, and they have decent enough specs, with an incredible waveguide. I have no idea how these compare, but for all intents and purposes, they should be much improved, in all areas.
Old 16th April 2020
Gear Addict

Does anyone here have any experience in mixing on Buchardt speakers?
Old 2nd June 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Released in June i believe.. will give lots of brands a run for their money im guessing if the feedback stays consistent with that of the S400
Old 4th June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mixer ➑️
Does anyone here have any experience in mixing on Buchardt speakers?
Sorry for the late reply. I've mixed on the S400's and it was a very pleasant experience. I've written an in-depth review for them here on Gearslutz.

To summarize, they sound like grown-up speakers with lots of detail, a precise and stable stereo image and they don't cause me any ear fatigue (but I mix on moderate levels). The way the woofer and tweeter become virtually one and the same (you don't hear it transition from one to the other at all) makes it a joy to mix on them.
Old 8th June 2020
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
We have the pleasure of testing a set of prototype A500's for a while now, doing work on them as usual and testing different tunings (dsp settings) on them to find out what works best in a studio environment.

We can share a little bit of our experiences we have with them, more to follow on a later date.

They remind us a great deal of the S400 that we like so much, but at the same time they are way beyond them when it comes to low frequency reproduction. The lows seriously go much deeper, in one of our rooms it seems basically flat down to 33Hz, becoming inaudible once you go below 26Hz. Not only do they reach so low, the lows are also very tight, thanks (in part) to the fact these are not ported or use a passive radiator, but instead are a sealed design. When listening to some of our favorite tracks that we always use to test out different speakers, the A500's remind us of speakers/studio monitors that are much bigger, but with the fantastic stereo image and depth that - in our experience - smaller monitors often excel at.
Old 8th June 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Looking forwards to try these at some point.

Sound like the perfect remedy to my weird fubar shaped room

Wiggy
Old 19th August 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone try these yet ?
Old 19th August 2020
Gear Addict

Hardly any reviews so far... I'm on a fence between these and ProAc Studio SM100's for nearfield monitoring and mixing.
Old 19th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mixer ➑️
Hardly any reviews so far... I'm on a fence between these and ProAc Studio SM100's for nearfield monitoring and mixing.
If you’re serious get a demo.. thus have a great system for demoing wherever you are.

Check their website!

Wiggy
Old 20th August 2020
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hi there,

We have just finished our in-depth review for the Buchardt Audio A500.
It's in the review section of Gearslutz, you can find it here: Buchardt Audio A500

The A500 are, without any doubt, the most impressive studio monitors we have ever used in our own studio's. They are - not just for their size - fantastic and provide us with a full range sound, making a subwoofer completely obsolete in both our studio rooms.

We hope you will like the review, it's a pretty long read, so you can always decide to skip to the summary at the end.
Old 20th August 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
@ Solidtrax

Very extensive and detailed review.

I've been very curious about these speakers.
Old 20th August 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks so much for the review..

How was the front to back depth?

Was it easy to pick out compression envelopes?

Thanks
Wiggy
Old 20th August 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Also did you do any mixes on these and if so how do they translate?

Cheers
Wiggy
Old 20th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut ➑️
Thanks so much for the review..

How was the front to back depth?

Was it easy to pick out compression envelopes?

Thanks
Wiggy
With regards to your questions, I can say this.

The imaging, especially in a room with good acoustical properties, is seriously impressive, or as I rather say, mind blowing! The speakers really disappear and you become one with the music. Instruments appear to come from behind the speakers or even far from the sides, much wider than the speakers are setup. I have experience with studio monitors that somewhat "trapped" the music between the speakers, very 2D so to say. It's nothing like that with the A500. While certain instruments can sound as if they come from 3 meters away, vocals often are presented right in front of you, thanks to their incredible phantom center. Something we also noticed is that moving your head from left to right or from back to front didn't change much in the perceived imaging and overall tonality, the sweet spot is really enormous.

We've done a lot of sound design work with them (creating patches for synthesizers and reverbs) and this was a breeze on the A500. They really reveal the tiniest details and the tail of a reverb for example is not hidden away, it's right there in front of you (or around you).

Using EQ's and compressors is also a joy on the A500, as the tiniest changes are presented to you as clear as it can get. Attack times, release times, different ratio's, subtle EQ cuts and boosts, everything is right in front of you, no guessing anymore, you hear exactly what you do.

Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut ➑️
Also did you do any mixes on these and if so how do they translate?

Cheers
Wiggy
We mixed some demo's on the A500, but as of now, nothing we can share unfortunately. For what it's worth, we really feel the mixes translated perfectly when we checked them on a variety of systems, like in the car, a small Bluetooth speaker and on a set of original auratone 5C. The client was completely happy with the result, that's probably most important.
Old 20th August 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the feedback.. defo on the list to try.

Did you buy?
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidtrax ➑️
Hi there,

We have just finished our in-depth review for the Buchardt Audio A500.
It's in the review section of Gearslutz, you can find it here: Buchardt Audio A500

The A500 are, without any doubt, the most impressive studio monitors we have ever used in our own studio's. They are - not just for their size - fantastic and provide us with a full range sound, making a subwoofer completely obsolete in both our studio rooms.

We hope you will like the review, it's a pretty long read, so you can always decide to skip to the summary at the end.
Awesome review, thanks!!! I'm going to order the A500's for testing!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…