The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Toontrack EZbass set for launch in 2020
Old 24th October 2019
News Desk Editor

🎧 15 years

Umeå, Sweden, October 24, 2019
As already announced earlier in the year Swedish software manufacturer Toontrack is working on EZbass, the next core product in the company’s EZ Line. The line already includes widely popular titles such as EZkeys, EZmix 2 as well as the world’s number one-selling drum production tool, EZdrummer 2. In 2020, Toontrack finally adds the much-anticipated EZbass.

“This is shaping up to be a product that really adapts the same ‘EZ’ philosophy as the other products in the line. It’s the perfect complement to EZdrummer 2, EZkeys and EZmix 2,” says Erik Phersson, Toontrack’s Head of Software Development.

As already announced, EZbass will be a software instrument for bass guitar. In addition to carefully sampled bass tones, it will include MIDI as well as a host of features to aid the user in quickly and effortlessly adding bass to their songs.

Toontrack is currently celebrating its 20-year anniversary as a company. It all started in 1999 with the then groundbreaking release of Drumkit From Hell, the world’s first multi-sampled drum library featuring individual microphone bleed. It revolutionized the market and from there, Toontrack has continuously grown to now being one of the premier software and sound library developers in the industry.

More information on EZbass will be made available in 2020.

Attached Thumbnails
Toontrack EZbass set for launch in 2020-unnamed-4-.jpg  
Old 6th November 2019
Mho
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool, would like to know more!
Old 9th November 2019
Gear Maniac

Cool! I've been waiting for this one. I hope that it has some smart functionality that listens to other tracks rather than just following chords like EZKeys does it.
Old 7th December 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverOak ➡️
Cool! I've been waiting for this one. I hope that it has some smart functionality that listens to other tracks rather than just following chords like EZKeys does it.
I guess it will work the same way like other similar programs (Trilogy, Modo Bass, AmpleSound, etc) work. You just add a MIDI item, write some notes to it, like when programming drums or synths, and the MIDI goes into EZbass, which then automatically selects a bass sound sample that matches the note and length (well, internally it has a loop after the initial note). It probably has less controls (if any) regarding the play style (slap, palm mute, slide in/out, strum, etc) than "actual" bass VSTs do, to keep it simple for the user. In the VSTs, you basically "play" a control note (a very low MIDI note, eg. E0) in addition to the actual note to do one of those styles like palm mutes.
Old 16th December 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torniojaws ➡️
I guess it will work the same way like other similar programs (Trilogy, Modo Bass, AmpleSound, etc) work. You just add a MIDI item, write some notes to it, like when programming drums or synths, and the MIDI goes into EZbass, which then automatically selects a bass sound sample that matches the note and length (well, internally it has a loop after the initial note). It probably has less controls (if any) regarding the play style (slap, palm mute, slide in/out, strum, etc) than "actual" bass VSTs do, to keep it simple for the user. In the VSTs, you basically "play" a control note (a very low MIDI note, eg. E0) in addition to the actual note to do one of those styles like palm mutes.
I am actually expecting much more than what the other vendors are currently providing. If it is anything like EZkeys, it will give you pre configured midi patterns that you can easily adjust the chord progression and key signatures. Or you can take a basic pattern and use the song feature to automatically generate intro, verse, chorus, bridge etc.

I am personally looking forward to all the midi packs that will be released for different genres of music (e.g. rock packs, pop, funk etc) so you can easily get a bass pattern going in any key, style, or genre without having to play the notes on a keyboard or program them in manually.

Above all, I think it will be a great way to audition different bass patterns that you may not have thought of for a specific song. I think it will be a great tool that enhances creativity, even for bass players that need to write something different from the normal bass patterns they may play.
Old 2nd April 2020
News Desk Editor

🎧 15 years
EZbass to be released on May 19, 2020

Today, Toontrack announced that the official release date for EZbass is set to May 19, 2020. As already announced, EZbass is Toontrack’s highly anticipated bass software instrument and the next core title in the company’s widely popular EZ Line of products. In addition to carefully sampled bass tones, EZbass will include MIDI as well as a host of features to aid the user in quickly and effortlessly adding bass to their songs. Aside from the soon-to-be-released EZbass, the EZ Line already includes EZkeys, EZmix 2, EZdrummer 2 as well as a wide range of expansion content for each platform.

Toontrack encourages everyone to stay tuned to Toontrack’s web page, newsletters and social media over the next few weeks for more information, videos and other EZbass-related info.

The first bits of information about EZbass can be found here: https://www.toontrack.com/meet-your-new-bass-player/

More to come!
Old 2nd April 2020
Gear Maniac

Great, much anticipated. Will be interested to see if the interface lends itself to free flowing work or will one get stuck on menus and right mouse clicks for the right option. The chord following looks good and 'easy' to get a groove in quickly then drag to DAW once layout is roughly sketched.

Im surprised it'll only come with 2 basses (obviously they will release a lot of expansion basses) because 2 isnt as versatile as one would want, 3 would've felt like much better value to get me in.

Still, price will be the real talker here, Im imagining around the $150-$200 entry point mark. Only 7 or so weeks to go!
Old 2nd April 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanelysane ➡️
Im surprised it'll only come with 2 basses (obviously they will release a lot of expansion basses) because 2 isnt as versatile as one would want, 3 would've felt like much better value to get me in.
Doing virtual stringed instruments is a TON of work compared to synths and percussion. Even for companies that have been doing them for years, it still takes around 2 years (+/-) to create a new one.
Old 3rd April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanelysane ➡️
Great, much anticipated. Will be interested to see if the interface lends itself to free flowing work or will one get stuck on menus and right mouse clicks for the right option. The chord following looks good and 'easy' to get a groove in quickly then drag to DAW once layout is roughly sketched.

Still, price will be the real talker here, Im imagining around the $150-$200 entry point mark. Only 7 or so weeks to go!
I expect one of them to be a P-Bass at least.
Old 3rd April 2020
Mho
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes, if one is a precision everything will be fine.
The modern one scares me a bit.
Old 5th April 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
And one upright please!!!
Old 6th April 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
And one Fretless...
Old 6th April 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
If they are intelligent and actually do market research
the modern one should be a Dingwall NG-3
Old 6th April 2020
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Curious to see how well the Audio to Midi works. I have yet to find a good work around for this.
Old 7th April 2020
Lives for gear

I forsee this being a tool that generates great midi that is probably better left to being played through better VST libraries..
Old 23rd April 2020
News Desk Editor

🎧 15 years
Today, Toontrack announced the official list pricing information for EZbass as well as a new video presenting an in-depth look at the features of the program.

EZbass list pricing
179 USD / 159 EUR / 1,295 SEK / 135 GBP / 16,500 JPY

The EZbass list pricing is aligned with the rest of the core products in the EZ Line (EZdrummer 2, EZkeys and EZmix 2).

The new EZbass video can be found here:
https://www.toontrack.com/meet-your-new-bass-player/
https://youtu.be/md5CJtDCy6o

As announced earlier, EZbass will be available on May 19 and is Toontrack’s highly anticipated bass software instrument as well as the next core title in the company’s widely popular EZ Line of products. In addition to carefully sampled bass tones, EZbass will include MIDI as well as a host of features to aid the user in quickly and effortlessly adding bass to their songs. Aside from the soon-to-be-released EZbass, the EZ Line already includes EZkeys, EZmix 2, EZdrummer 2 as well as a wide range of expansion content for each platform.

Toontrack encourages everyone to stay tuned to Toontrack’s web page, newsletters and social media over the next few weeks for more information, videos and other EZbass-related info.

More here: https://www.toontrack.com/meet-your-new-bass-player/

Old 25th April 2020
Gear Maniac

Wow, I'm impressed - this is better than I thought it would be and I'm very tempted to buy.

I was surprised by the Tracker feature which allows loading in an external audio file or guitar or bass and then you can let EZBass figure out the notes, map them out in midi, and you can then have that playable file as midi with the EZBass sound and midi. Very cool and seems to do a very nice job too.

I was also surprised by the amount of customisation in the editing, the midi notes can be fully inputted and edited. This was a big problem for me in EZKeys and EZBass is miles apart in manual editing. It really does seem like a useful and eventually quick way to get all bass parts in midi within the EZBass interface.

My only gripe, as a bit of an OCD kinda guy, I really dont like how badly the vintage bass looks, can I change that skin, I'm embarrassed to use it
Old 25th April 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This sounds very impressive.
Old 25th April 2020
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Beyond stoked about this product. I love recording real bass but I always seem to have to tune low notes or replace the low end with rbass. For songwriting alone this is worth $180 but having 2 perfectly tuned basses on hand...I'm in.
Old 26th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can't tell from the Launch Vid but is has there been any word on using the Bass' DI samples rather than the Amp?
Quote:
Originally Posted by acmusic ➡️
Can't tell from the Launch Vid but is has there been any word on using the Bass' DI samples rather than the Amp?
In the amp section (1:31 in the video), there's the options:

Direct Out
Direct Out Pick

And at 1:36, the current amp is titled "Clean DI"
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torniojaws ➡️
In the amp section (1:31 in the video), there's the options:

Direct Out
Direct Out Pick

And at 1:36, the current amp is titled "Clean DI"
Excellent-thank you as I def missed that!
Old 2nd May 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I really hope this actually sounds good. I bought the Waves Bass plugin not that long ago only to realize recently my ****ty Ibanez Mikro actually sounds better.
Old 8th May 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I just had an epiphany and you can totally quote me on this statement "November Metal Month 2020 will have a Dingwall NG3 for EZbass"
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It´s alive!
https://www.toontrack.com/product/ezbass/
Old 19th May 2020
News Desk Editor

🎧 15 years
Toontrack releases EZBass
Closed