Quantcast
Flock Audio: Introducing The PATCH System (Announcement) - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Flock Audio: Introducing The PATCH System (Announcement)
Old 17th November 2018
Here for the gear
Wow! This thing looks too cool! Great help in the rack. I am having a tough time getting straight answers from them regarding the most obvious questions: Audio Tech Specs, S/N, freq. resp., headroom, input impedance, output impedance, max in level, max out level. How do they block phantom? Transformer? Caps? What is the switching / summing technology? I would not put any device between my $8,000 Stephen Paul 251 and my vintage Neve 1084 mic amp / eq unless I knew it was as pure as my Gotham mic cable. Has anyone a clearer idea of what's going on with this thing?
Old 18th November 2018 | Show parent
dzb
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hmmm... long gap in posts here on GS from them since months ago...
Market, Sell...

Oh, yeah, then build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagegearltd ➡️
Wow! This thing looks too cool! Great help in the rack. I am having a tough time getting straight answers from them regarding the most obvious questions: Audio Tech Specs, S/N, freq. resp., headroom, input impedance, output impedance, max in level, max out level. How do they block phantom? Transformer? Caps? What is the switching / summing technology? I would not put any device between my $8,000 Stephen Paul 251 and my vintage Neve 1084 mic amp / eq unless I knew it was as pure as my Gotham mic cable. Has anyone a clearer idea of what's going on with this thing?
Site says it provides its own 48V Power. Red light on unit indicates you have 48v on your gear connected to it.

Specs? Who needs specs, it's 'transparent'....

Certainly the fully integrated diagnostic monitoring system won't have impact the audio signal.

Maybe it's hard for them to find time to take away from posting to Instagram?

Not trying to be a clown (well, maybe just a bit)... just amazes me when months go by and no word... not unusual, I realize... seems to be the new norm. Sell, build, and wait for the details.

It is a generally cool concept. (their product, not the waiting)

And they do have a pretty website.
Old 20th November 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzb ➡️
Hmmm... long gap in posts here on GS from them since months ago...
Market, Sell...

Oh, yeah, then build.

Site says it provides its own 48V Power. Red light on unit indicates you have 48v on your gear connected to it.

Specs? Who needs specs, it's 'transparent'....

Certainly the fully integrated diagnostic monitoring system won't have impact the audio signal.

Maybe it's hard for them to find time to take away from posting to Instagram?

Not trying to be a clown (well, maybe just a bit)... just amazes me when months go by and no word... not unusual, I realize... seems to be the new norm. Sell, build, and wait for the details.

It is a generally cool concept. (their product, not the waiting)

And they do have a pretty website.

I’ve been hoping for an update as well. A product like this could really improve my daily workflow. I’m rooting for them to do this right.
Old 20th November 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Updates are happening, I believe the creator is just not using Gearslutz to inform. I’ve been seeing regular updates on Instagram as well as the CEO being pretty easy to contact with any questions I’ve had about the unit.

It’s just a different approach. Believe it or not, the audio world doesn’t revolve only around Gearslutz anymore.
Old 25th November 2018
Lives for gear

Mrcross...

I’m not trying to stir anything up here, but posting about your similar product in a this thread and your comments about Patch come off as passive aggressive.

I’m can’t speak for anyone but myself but...It just doesn’t rub me the right way.
Old 25th November 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Sounds Sincere

Mr. Cross - Thank you for the effort to try to shed a bit of light on the subject. More than a few of us feel that Flock marketing approach with the absence of technical specs seems a bit of a dodge; leaving many to wonder why. Guess they won't be the first adoptees.

I have checked out the specs on the anatal.io site and while there is more information available than on the Flock site, it is still far from what we have come to expect from audio companies suggesting that we entrust our precious signal to their products and signal chain.

This leaves me and most of my professional colleagues to wonder why. Why not disclose the technology? The specs? Bandwidth, max input / output?

Why omit the standard information? Is it possible that there is some compromise the manufacturer is asking us to accept?

Anyone with history in the professional audio community can recall the few attempts at digital control of analog signals. Even the simplest forms of cross-point switching / summing as been fraught with technical and sonic issues.

The need for standard balanced bussing has also been widely noted especially in today's 192 / 24 digital audio resolution world keeping the CMRR down to it's minimum throughout the signal flow process.

Would't a more practical and informative product marketing campaign compare the faults of these earlier attempts and show how new technology has made this a practical approach?

I did not find your previous post as passive aggressive as another forum member has suggested, just not enough information.

To be clear, I LOVE the concept of a programmable, computer controlled patch system. I WILL try one out. I just wish the manufacturers of these devices would be more forthcoming less evasive when it comes to questions about specs.

This would give us professionals the information we need and add to the historically open dialog our industry has enjoyed when considering new technology.
Old 29th November 2018
Here for the gear
I am puzzled. That's a whole bunch of words which don't directly address the key piece of information we are seeking.

This is a professional audio device. Where is the S/N ratio? Where is the freq. resp.? Are these of any interest or importance to anyone?

It seems as if both companies making these computer controlled patch systems are either engaged in suppressing this information. Maybe if I show you mine, you'll show me yours?
Old 5th December 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 ➡️
Wait a minute, am I correct in assuming that the 128 channels ireally only means 32 balanced channels in and out? So same as Flock? If so that’s WAY to small for me
Nah the 64 is 32 balanced in and out, the 128 is 64 balanced in and out
Old 5th December 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana ➡️
Nah the 64 is 32 balanced in and out, the 128 is 64 balanced in and out
Are u sure? It’s just that on the site it mentioned two channels were needed for balanced
Old 16th January 2019
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Did anyone end up getting one of these? no real world reviews out there - lots of promo lol ... any news on bigger version coming down the pipeline? 64 i/o / 128 i/o ? I appreciate it takes time to build a company and the product line but a bigger version would be so awesome! cheers
Old 19th January 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
well they seem to have arrived here in the UK, at 2200ukp (2800 dollars) so not exactly a no brainer purchase. Would be great to also hear the real world reviews and see the noise specs
Old 2nd April 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Here's my real-world review:

Sonic: 10/10 (I can't hear a difference vs my LIAISON so... )

Build: 9.5/10 It's a solid hunk of 1U rackmount. Al the XLR and DB25's are mounted to the chassis so it's really robust. (.5 lost for no strain relief for USB cable)

Software: 8/10 (it's still earliy in, a few GUI things and a personal opinion gribe on it needing internet).

Support: 9/10 (they're super fast returning emails. .5 point lost for no phone support and .5 lost for never knowing who I'm talking to via email)

Pricing: 10/10 (The LIASON is $300 more and offers 6 stereo patch points with an added paralell bus and polarity. I cant think of anything else that offers what the flock does at this price.. essentially 16 stereo or 32 mono or any combo up to 32)

Expandability: 6/10. you can Cascade multiple units, but have to sacrifice I/O for send/return paths. For the cost of 2 or more units, you're losing i/o ... and that's a costly sacrifice. But, to be fair, I feel like this first offering from Flock is for users with a bunch of lunchboxes wanted to mix and match their front end quickly while tracking in a project studio. My hope is that with (deserved) success of this thing, they'll release a 2U or 4U unit with 64 in/out or 128in/out. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
Old 23rd August 2019
Here for the gear

Stupid question? What happens to half normal , fully normal
Old 23rd August 2019
Here for the gear

Just pulled the trigger on one and want to know any bad news on the unit!
Old 26th August 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Just got mine today. My only complain is the fan noise. It's really loud even when I set it to "low speed constant" in the preferences. I have to turn it off and use the "emergency fan only" settings, no way of working with it even on the low fan speed. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 30th August 2019
Here for the gear

Flock Audio PATCH APP v2.0 - (OSX) Now Available

As requested by GS Members in the past, we are excited to announce and share the next update PATCH APP v2.0 a Non-Network/Wifi Version of PATCH APP with multiple upgrades and feature additions. See List and Video Below for more details.

Watch the Video Walkthrough Now!

New Features Include:
This new update/re-design brings a number of new feature additions, workflow enhancements, performance improvements & bug fixes to the PATCH APP Software. Version 2.0.0 also brings offline functionality with no Wifi/Network requirements.

​Feature Additions:
  • - PATCH APP Scale Size Options Added: (Default, Small, Medium, Large)
  • - Additional "User Preferences" (New Fan Controls, Language Options, Font Types)
  • - Click + Drag to Resize the PATCH APP Window Size (Vertically or Horizontally)
  • - No Wifi/Network Connection Required for PATCH APP Launch
  • - No More Software Registration Key for Activation Required
  • - Stored Default Launch Routing (Have PATCH Populate a Default Routing when Opened)
  • - Additional "Stored Routings Section" Options & Functionality
  • - Movable Path Sections (Move Entire Path's with Directional Arrows)
  • - New Key Commands (Bypass, Remove & Rearrange Digital Rack Spaces)
  • - Stereo & Group Pairing Functionality - Added
  • - Multiple Bug Fixes & Performance Improvements

OSX - Now Available
Windows - Coming Soon
*Note: If you are a Windows PATCH User and interested in becoming a Flock Audio PATCH Windows Beta Tester. Please contact us at: [email protected]

Cheers!
Darren N (Flock Audio)
Old 12th April 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey there! What’s happening with Patch App development?
There’s only been one update since this system came out well over a year ago... seems a little on the slow side.
Is there work being done on it? What’s coming?

I’m mainly interested in being able to customise, group and reorder the hardware list. One long list isn’t very intuitive and could quite easily be improved upon.

Cheers!
Old 7th July 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrawbear ➡️
People Will be Immediately “put off” your/your friends company by this kind of behaviour. So unprofessional.
Well, that maybe so, but it also highlights how poor Flock have been with public communications and plans for growing the software. I don’t know why they don’t respond to their own thread. Their last post in this thread was August 2019. They get notifications for their own thread, obviously.

Looks like they have several staff, I don’t know why they can’t take 10 minutes a week to keep up with their customers in the biggest audio community in the world, in a thread which they designed to sell their product to people like me.

FYI - I am an existing customer.
Old 14th April 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by michschw ➡️
Just got mine today. My only complain is the fan noise. It's really loud even when I set it to "low speed constant" in the preferences. I have to turn it off and use the "emergency fan only" settings, no way of working with it even on the low fan speed. Can anyone confirm this?
I know this reply is late, but I can confirm this issue in 2021 ... in my current space the unit is unusable unless the "Emergency Fan Only" setting is on.
Old 14th April 2021
JGM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is it possible to mult in the Flock? I've seen some videos of the Anatal and it's very easy to mult with their units.
Old 15th May 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
If these units had their own Converters that would help out allot for sure 😃
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…