Klangformer? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Klangformer?
Old 5th June 2017
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Klangformer?

Got an e-mail about this. Sonimus has a mic modeler with a WeissKlang mic?
Surprised nothing on here, and figured I'd throw this out there. Sounds intriguing that they'd take an existing mic and model to it. Different from the Slate or Townsend approach. The audio samples sound good and seems to be modeled towards style of mic (tube, ribbon, vintage), rather than specific (U47, 251, etc).
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis ➡️
The audio samples sound good [...]
Are we listening to the same samples? The ones I listened to on Soundcloud sound like cartoon versions of various microphone types -- like someone smothered the "unprocessed" sample with some heavy-handed EQ. Subtle and nuanced they're not.
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I wish someone would do a hybrid idea... On one hand we have the old Antares, IK Multimedia software only solutions that allow you to pick the mic you actually recorded with and then pick the mic you want it to sound like...

On te other hand is the slate/ubk Townsend model that requires SW and he that are already paired...
Old 6th June 2017 | Show parent
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blim ➡️
Are we listening to the same samples? The ones I listened to on Soundcloud sound like cartoon versions of various microphone types -- like someone smothered the "unprocessed" sample with some heavy-handed EQ. Subtle and nuanced they're not.
Probably! I listened on a pair of computer speakers and in all honesty, not critically. I actually don't get a lot out of samples, much prefer using a mic itself to evaluate.

The (Slate Townsend), mic modelling always sounds slightly different than the original, and I always wonder how a completely different capsule can respond to another one thru simply modelling it. I thought this an interesting approach, since Sonimus concentrated on an existing mic (which I'd never heard of), and is going for broad strokes.....
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis ➡️
Probably! I listened on a pair of computer speakers and in all honesty, not critically. I actually don't get a lot out of samples, much prefer using a mic itself to evaluate.

The (Slate Townsend), mic modelling always sounds slightly different than the original, and I always wonder how a completely different capsule can respond to another one thru simply modelling it. I thought this an interesting approach, since Sonimus concentrated on an existing mic (which I'd never heard of), and is going for broad strokes.....
You mean Slate Virtual Microphone? Or do you mean Townsend Labs Sphere? Or you mean both?
Old 6th June 2017
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hello!

I can assure you, that developing the KlangFormer for the WeissKlang V13 was a very nice and extensive adventure
and the guys from Sonimus really know what they do. :-)

In the next few days we will open up our sales for the international market (english website, etc.), since we got so many requests that we can't ignore.

So stay tuned!

Salvatore
(Owner of WeissKlang Microphones)
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeronimo ➡️
You mean Slate Virtual Microphone? Or do you mean Townsend Labs Sphere? Or you mean both?
Actually both. I usually can hear differences between analogue/digital, real/emulated. I actually use a hard disk recorder so don't have a dog in the hunt. I think it's great that the mic modelling works for people. I thought this approach is interesting Since Sonimus does really good modeling. Using a specific mic eliminates I'm sure, a lot of costs for them. Keeps them pure software.

I'd be interested if the mic is really a German product? They only say hand built as near as I can tell. I was surprised to get the announcement, and also surprised GS hasn't picked up on it. Lotta love for Sonimus on here. Maybe needs to be a specific vintage mic to get people interested? I'm sure that will come if people like this.
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzasalva ➡️
Hello!

I can assure you, that developing the KlangFormer for the WeissKlang V13 was a very nice and extensive adventure
and the guys from Sonimus really know what they do. :-)

In the next few days we will open up our sales for the international market (english website, etc.), since we got so many requests that we can't ignore.

So stay tuned!

Salvatore
(Owner of WeissKlang Microphones)
Hey Salvatore, great to have you on. Can you tell us more about the mic, etc? I think it's a brilliant concept, and launched this thread to find out more. I don't record on a computer so this is an interesting concept. The mic looks solid and reasonably priced.
Old 6th June 2017
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hello Ardis,

it's great to be part of this community.

The WeissKlang V13 made some big waves in Germany, because of the benefits:

- (very) linear sound without high-frequency lift
- excellent impulse response
- high-graded components from Germany
- fair price

Due to the linear sound it's perfect for post-processing.
On our website we have some audio samples, which demonstrate the possibilities with
a linear frequency response. You just can shape the sound as you want.
That's why we had the idea of creating the "KlangFormer".

All of our microphones are handmade in our manufacture in Southwest Germany.

Best regards
Salvatore
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzasalva ➡️
... All of our microphones are handmade in our manufacture in Southwest Germany.
Promising

Closed
Topic: