The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MAKE BELIEVE STUDIOS - SONTEC 432-D9D | MAKEBELIEVE bundle
Old 28th October 2022
MAKE BELIEVE STUDIOS - SONTEC 432-D9D | MAKEBELIEVE bundle

Make Believe is proud to present the Make Believe Bundle and the Sontec-432-D9D.
both can be purchased at our website. Thank you so much for your support. - Rick Carson

www.Makebelievestudio.com
Attached Thumbnails
MAKE BELIEVE STUDIOS - SONTEC 432-D9D | MAKEBELIEVE bundle-artboard-10-2x.jpg   MAKE BELIEVE STUDIOS - SONTEC 432-D9D | MAKEBELIEVE bundle-artboard-14-2x.jpg   MAKE BELIEVE STUDIOS - SONTEC 432-D9D | MAKEBELIEVE bundle-artboard-11_small-0.75x.png   MAKE BELIEVE STUDIOS - SONTEC 432-D9D | MAKEBELIEVE bundle-artboard-12-0.75x.png   MAKE BELIEVE STUDIOS - SONTEC 432-D9D | MAKEBELIEVE bundle-artboard-13-2x.jpg  

Old 28th October 2022
yeah its a sontec.
Old 28th October 2022
Here for the gear

From The Faq https://www.makebelievestudio.com/faq

“I’ll buy this at Black Friday.”
No you won’t. We believe our work is priced fairly and while we are not saying there will never be a sale they will be few and far between.

they have my twin working there
Old 28th October 2022
hahaha well come down and hang out!!
Old 28th October 2022
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
What is doing good maths?

Very curious about those and the paralel ones
Old 28th October 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Any estimate on Windows release? I read the manual and it says Windows compatible and almost tried activating the trial.
Old 28th October 2022
Gear Maniac

cool! on your website the text about the bundle says "The fastest and most cost effective way to get your hands on all of the current Make Believe designed plugins." yet there's no Sontec in the bundle. Anyway I appreciate the curve display, MS would be also great addition to the original functionality
Old 28th October 2022
M2E
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
WOW, a lot of good stuff coming out. I've just downloaded the demo and I will put it against the IK version which I absolutely love and use it on every mix. I'm glad the originators have partnered with Metric Halo to bring this out. I see they have a limiter too. I'll check that out as well.

Good Luck, Marc
Old 28th October 2022
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
i did a quick no talking comparison between SONTEC MES-432D9D vs AA Scarlet 4 vs IK TR5 Master EQ-432.

Old 28th October 2022 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E ➡️
WOW, a lot of good stuff coming out. I've just downloaded the demo and I will put it against the IK version which I absolutely love and use it on every mix. I'm glad the originators have partnered with Metric Halo to bring this out. I see they have a limiter too. I'll check that out as well.

Good Luck, Marc
hey M2E we had someone do the shoot out and this was his result! its hard to not sound biased but i absolutely love it and loved shooting it out agianst me 250 ex as well - Ryan MB

About the @ MakeBelieve studio Sontec 432... I did the comparison with the IK Multimedia 432 and the Scarlet from Acustica Audio. Here are my observations:
•
1- AA Scarlet: It's pretty colorful. Grainy. Just about over saturated. Feel less headroom than the competition. They have interesting additional options like M/S, PreAmp color and input/output trim buttons. The low-mid saturation is too much for my taste. Hi's leave a lot to be desired. AA has really good plugins, but I see why I never use Scarlet 4.
•
2- IK 432: A nice plugin. Very musical. It has more headroom than AA and its sound is less saturated. The hi's are nice. The low mids feel suffocated, mildly. It's nicer than AA. Without a doubt! The Hi Shelf is fixed unlike the rest.
•
3- MB SONTEC: The hi is very musical and enjoyable. Gotta be careful because it looks like it's not doing much, but you put the bypass on and the difference is day and night. It's got a lot of headroom. The stereo bus never felt choked or limited by the EQ. He has the same kind of character as others, in terms of color, but much more musical and enjoyable. The low and low mid is solid. I wish I could adjust the size of the graphics interface of this plugin.
WINNER: MB Sontec 4329D9
SECOND: IK 432 " - Orlando L. Ferrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kichal ➡️
cool! on your website the text about the bundle says "The fastest and most cost effective way to get your hands on all of the current Make Believe designed plugins." yet there's no Sontec in the bundle. Anyway I appreciate the curve display, MS would be also great addition to the original functionality
duly noted! yeah because they are 2 different licenses you will have to enter them each on the site! but it is very quick! i hope you love them! - Ryan MB
Old 28th October 2022
Gear Maniac

I'm usually not too fussy about the GUI, but is there a reason knobs don't align with markings on the faceplate on certain settings? I guess it's a simulation of perspective, but it's mostly annoying, the 2400Hz gain setting looks as much as 0.5dB as 1dB, not really sure which was it TBH.
Attached Thumbnails
MAKE BELIEVE STUDIOS - SONTEC 432-D9D | MAKEBELIEVE bundle-zrzut-ekranu-2022-10-28-o-09.28.01.png  
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbenzon ➡️
i did a quick no talking comparison between SONTEC MES-432D9D vs AA Scarlet 4 vs IK TR5 Master EQ-432.

thank you so much for making this!
Quote:
I'm usually not too fussy about the GUI, but is there a reason knobs don't align with markings on the faceplate on certain settings? I guess it's a simulation of perspective, but it's mostly annoying, the 2400Hz gain setting looks as much as 0.5dB as 1dB, not really sure which was it TBH.
interesting its not like that on ours over here, what is your dimensions also, if you right click the sontec logo you can resize it! see if that helps! - Ryan MB
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeBelieve ➡️
interesting its not like that on ours over here, what is your dimensions also, if you right click the sontec logo you can resize it! see if that helps! - Ryan MB
It was 130% to do the screen, but it was like that on every other setting, I reloaded it with 130% on default and it was fine, then changed to 70% and it misaligned again
Quote:
It was 130% to do the screen, but it was like that on every other setting, I reloaded it with 130% on default and it was fine, then changed to 70% and it misaligned again
Thank you so much for letting us know! I will make sure that gets fixed asap!
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Even if they would sound exactly the same (and they don't), there's this other thing as important as the sound, workflow. Scarlet becomes unusably heavy and latency inducting when put on multiple tracks, like on the normal mastering session of the whole album where there are 10 tracks with different settings. IK TR5 is not apple silicon native which makes it no go for me. However Sontec is both AS native and light on the CPU, around 0.1% of my M1 per instance, which puts it on top of the stepped mastering non-graphic EQs. BTW There's also SPL PQ which cuts the highs and it can't be turned off, and Knif Soma which is quite limited compared to the rest, but they don't emulate Sontec curves anyway
Quote:
Even if they would sound exactly the same (and they don't), there's this other thing as important as the sound, workflow. Scarlet becomes unusably heavy and latency inducting when put on multiple tracks, like on the normal mastering session of the whole album where there are 10 tracks with different settings. IK TR5 is not apple silicon native which makes it no go for me. However Sontec is both AS native and light on the CPU, around 0.1% of my M1 per instance, which puts it on top of the stepped mastering non-graphic EQs. BTW There's also SPL PQ which cuts the highs and it can't be turned off, and Knif Soma which is quite limited compared to the rest, but they don't emulate Sontec curves anyway
By our math it would take roughly 8000 lunar modules to run one instance of those plugins you spoke of. The Sontec only takes roughly 60 lunar modules per instance.
Old 28th October 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
compared to IKM432. IKM sounds cleaner and more focused but MBS sounds warmer and punchier. Maybe oversampling on IKM makes the difference
Old 28th October 2022
Lives for gear

Congrats on the release! Any timeline on VST3 for the semi-bleeding edge Mac cubase users?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

AA sounds the best from all tested, sounds organic, unprocessed and glue with material in very musical way, put dimension into mix.

IKM sounds OK, handle transients well but somehow sterile and less musical in comparison to AA. Extreme boosts do not sound good

MH sounds definitely warmer and punchier than IKM, but smears transients and lacks definition. In comparison with AA sounds flat and does not glue with material that well as AA or IKM. The biggest advantage is no latency and very low CPU usage.

My subjective ranking:
1. AA
2. IKM
3. MH
Quote:
Originally Posted by method1 ➡️
Congrats on the release! Any timeline on VST3 for the semi-bleeding edge Mac cubase users?
Thank you! You can have them running in the latest cubase but not wav lab!
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshook ➡️
AA sounds the best from all tested, sounds organic, unprocessed and glue with material in very musical way, put dimension into mix.

IKM sounds OK, handle transients well but somehow sterile and less musical in comparison to AA. Extreme boosts do not sound good

MH sounds definitely warmer and punchier than IKM, but smears transients and lacks definition. In comparison with AA sounds flat and does not glue with material that well as AA or IKM. The biggest advantage is no latency and very low CPU usage.

My subjective ranking:
1. AA
2. IKM
3. MH
All of them are great! definitely each have their own place!
M2E
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
hey M2E we had someone do the shoot out and this was his result! its hard to not sound biased but i absolutely love it and loved shooting it out agianst me 250 ex as well - Ryan MB

About the @ MakeBelieve studio Sontec 432... I did the comparison with the IK Multimedia 432 and the Scarlet from Acustica Audio. Here are my observations:
•
1- AA Scarlet: It's pretty colorful. Grainy. Just about over saturated. Feel less headroom than the competition. They have interesting additional options like M/S, PreAmp color and input/output trim buttons. The low-mid saturation is too much for my taste. Hi's leave a lot to be desired. AA has really good plugins, but I see why I never use Scarlet 4.
•
2- IK 432: A nice plugin. Very musical. It has more headroom than AA and its sound is less saturated. The hi's are nice. The low mids feel suffocated, mildly. It's nicer than AA. Without a doubt! The Hi Shelf is fixed unlike the rest.
•
3- MB SONTEC: The hi is very musical and enjoyable. Gotta be careful because it looks like it's not doing much, but you put the bypass on and the difference is day and night. It's got a lot of headroom. The stereo bus never felt choked or limited by the EQ. He has the same kind of character as others, in terms of color, but much more musical and enjoyable. The low and low mid is solid. I wish I could adjust the size of the graphics interface of this plugin.
WINNER: MB Sontec 4329D9
SECOND: IK 432 " - Orlando L. Ferrer
Thanks for that info. I'm testing them right now. These are my first honest opinions.

1st: Love the fact that it only takes 1% of the M1 pro CPU even though Pro Tools still isn't Apple Silicon ready yet. The obvious CPU work is there so big kudos to you and Metric Halo for that.

2nd: I see that you guys added analog non-linear limitations which I love. You can drive the unit if need be though, I never heard of someone doing it but then again, who doesn't try to just see what a unit does? Where is the fun in that...LOL

3rd: I'm guessing the "No Analog" model is a digital version without the limitations which is extremely smart and I would have mentioned that if I were beta testing this to do/have both.

It is so weird to see the Sontec name on a plugin as I never would have thought this would happen but I guess dreams do come true.
You picked a great company to model it as well.

As of right now, to be honest, I've been picking the IK version over the Sontec as the low mids seems to be more open and clearer. For everything else that I use the IK version for ala 50hz, 12k, maybe 17k, and 80hz for push, the Sontec version is right there. My ears are tired though but I'm too excited not to test this right now...LOL

In some tests, I couldn't tell the difference. If I did, it was so slight that I gave up and looked to see which was which. The one test I thought the Sontec stood out on was the Lowend 50hz push and the 12k push only. Seemed that this had a more open feel with the Sontec.

Now, I usually use the IK version in M/S in fact, I use it all the time in M/S mode. Is there an M/S mode coming later or you and MH are not that interested in that? The IK version turns into a different beast in M/S mode. I agree the highs on the IK version are sheeny/magic ala the hardware. There is something about the hardware, that even just playing through it, seems to fix things. I always thought the magic in the unit was that and I think IK captured that as well. So, sometimes I don't have to do so much at all.

As far as the AA version, I don't own nor use their plugins. Just seems more wooden nickel mojo to me (In My Honest Opinion) but some people really like it and swear by those plugins so, to each their own. I say use whatever you can to make it the best!

By the way, the Pro Tools version in 2022.10, the knobs look very greenish. I love the black knobs but that's just me. More like the original unit.

I'll do more testing tomorrow but, I have to say, congrats! I'm glad you are finally coming to the dark side....LOL

Marc
Attached Thumbnails
MAKE BELIEVE STUDIOS - SONTEC 432-D9D | MAKEBELIEVE bundle-green-knobs-here-pro-tools-2022.10.jpg  
Quote:
Thanks for that info. I'm testing them right now. These are my first honest opinions.

1st: Love the fact that it only takes 1% of the M1 pro CPU even though Pro Tools still isn't Apple Silicon ready yet. The obvious CPU work is there so big kudos to you and Metric Halo for that.

2nd: I see that you guys added analog non-linear limitations which I love. You can drive the unit if need be though, I never heard of someone doing it but then again, who doesn't try to just see what a unit does? Where is the fun in that...LOL

3rd: I'm guessing the "No Analog" model is a digital version without the limitations which is extremely smart and I would have mentioned that if I were beta testing this to do/have both.

It is so weird to see the Sontec name on a plugin as I never would have thought this would happen but I guess dreams do come true.

As of right now, to be honest, I've been picking the IK version over the Sontec as the low mids seems to be more open and clearer. For everything else that I use the IK version for ala 50hz, 12k, maybe 17k, and 80hz for push, the Sontec version is right there. My ears are tired though but I'm too excited not to test this right now...LOL

In some tests, I couldn't tell the difference. If I did, it was so slight that I gave up and looked to see which was which. The one test I thought the Sontec stood out on was the Lowend 50hz push and the 12k push only. Seemed that this had a more open feel with the Sontec.

Now, I usually use the IK version in M/S in fact, I use it all the time in M/S mode. Is there an M/S mode coming later or you and MH are not that interested in that? The IK version turns into a different beast in M/S mode. I agree the highs on the IK version are sheeny/magic ala the hardware. There is something about the hardware, that even just playing through it, seems to fix things. I always thought the magic in the unit was that and I think IK captured that as well. So, sometimes I don't have to do so much at all.

As far as the AA version, I don't own nor use their plugins. Just seems more wooden nickel mojo to me (In My Honest Opinion) but some people really like it and swear by those plugins so, to each their own. I say use whatever you can to make it the best!

By the way, the Pro Tools version in 2022.10, the knobs look very greenish. I love the black knobs but that's just me. More like the original unit.

I'll do more testing tomorrow but, I have to say, congrats! I'm glad you are finally coming to the dark side....LOL

Marc
In protools 2022.10 as well check to see if you have plugin automation on, that will make them green! Also yes there is some talks about adding M/S, but originally we wanted to keep it 1:1 to as possible even graphically. I also highly suggest boosting 25k on the 3rd band and boost more around 8 with the shelf! I feel it really opens up there.
Quote:

Marc
Yep, thats plugin automation armed!
Old 28th October 2022
Lives for gear

199€? bye...
M2E
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Yep, thats plugin automation armed!
You are 100% correct. Once I moved the automation, I was in love again. Thanks, Marc
Quote:
You are 100% correct. Once I moved the automation, I was in love again. Thanks, Marc
Thank you so much for demoing it Marc!
Old 28th October 2022
Gear Maniac
The real test will be against AlexB S432 GE.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…