The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MAKE BELIEVE STUDIOS - SONTEC 432-D9D | MAKEBELIEVE bundle
Old 4 weeks ago
  #31
Lives for gear
Ok, looks all cool, and I've seen most of the social media posts of the last weeks. But I wonder what Metric Halo's role is in here.

Will there be a firmware update of MH products that implement the Sontec for DSP processing like the other MB plugins?

Will there be a discount for MH customers?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #32
Lives for gear
 
World Studios's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahstlz ➡️
Ok, looks all cool, and I've seen most of the social media posts of the last weeks. But I wonder what Metric Halo's role is in here.

Will there be a firmware update of MH products that implement the Sontec for DSP processing like the other MB plugins?

Will there be a discount for MH customers?
Good questions. I vote for a discount for MH plugin owners if possible.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #33
Gear Head
 
roblewis1's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Exciting! Also curious about vst3 - is this on the roadmap?
Look forward to putting demo through paces 😎
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #34
Lives for gear
 
leckel1996's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Any estimate on a windows release?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #35
Here for the gear
 
I decided to try the whole bundle and the MBEQ sounds really good to my ear. Controls are a bit fiddly and wish you could right click to solo like equilibrium, maat eq, etc. Feels like a cross between x-eq2 and MDWEQ but with a nice drive option.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #36
Lives for gear
 
method1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeBelieve ➡️
Thank you! You can have them running in the latest cubase but not wav lab!
Thanks yes it will run in cubase, but not in native mode, which really hobbles the performance and somewhat defeats the point of owning apple silicon, curious to know if there is a timeline for VST3 which would inform a purchase decision.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #37
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomyohmy ➡️
The real test will be against AlexB S432 GE.
I second that. The 10k band in AlexB 432 GE is really good!

Will be testing this plugin today!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #38
Lives for gear
 
jams3223's Avatar
I wonder what feature will be added in this plugin and also what does it offer additionally.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #39
Lives for gear
 
loji's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
the MH Sontec is very very good... does the same tricks as the real hardware.

I've been lucky enough to own or use about 6x different 430/432 series Sontecs over the years

Scarlet is poor (IMO) technically there is ripple in the response at 44.1, making it not match the hardware. It's only close running at 96k. . . it might sound good subjectively on some program material , but it's not what a Sontec sounds like. . . plus its bugs, chirps, and CPU consumption issues

IK is better, the curves match the hardware correctly, but the hardware sounds more open. IK sounds a bit cleaner than the hardware in my experience .. which can sometimes be a benefit.

the MH Sontec (IMO) nails what the hardware does ... I don't like the sound with everything set flat, and the tone can change in non intuitive ways .. ie: flip the low shelf from 50 to 100, you get a different tone even set at 0dB. (same trick gets used on the hardware to make choruses sound Bigger, etc...)

There is a reason that this version is the only one Burgess himself has ever collaborated or approved.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #40
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomyohmy ➡️
The real test will be against AlexB S432 GE.
Agreed. That one def makes the IK sound dull. I have not picked the IK once in years over the AB432GE.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #41
Lives for gear
 
Jantex's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Ok, I tried the Sontec and it blew my mind. Analyzed it after that, compared it to IK and Acustica Scarlet, no comparison at all. This is a next level EQ modelling and is the best sounding analog modeled digital EQ I had a pleasure to test. I know such statements can be bold, but it really is in this case. It sounds smooth and tight like HW, can be pushed and doesn't sound overdone. IK sound plain wrong and distorted, Scarlet doesn't behave correctly at all and sounds grainy and smears the transients.

If Metric Halo did the model, they really they made a serious step forward from the competition. Congratz!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex ➡️
Ok, I tried the Sontec and it blew my mind. Analyzed it after that, compared it to IK and Acustica Scarlet, no comparison at all. This is a next level EQ modelling and is the best sounding analog modeled digital EQ I had a pleasure to test. I know such statements can be bold, but it really is in this case. It sounds smooth and tight like HW, can be pushed and doesn't sound overdone. IK sound plain wrong and distorted, Scarlet doesn't behave correctly at all and sounds grainy and smears the transients.

If Metric Halo did the model, they really they made a serious step forward from the competition. Congratz!
Jantex, thank you so much for this! We really appreciate you taking the time to test this out!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #43
Quote:
Originally Posted by loji ➡️
the MH Sontec is very very good... does the same tricks as the real hardware.

I've been lucky enough to own or use about 6x different 430/432 series Sontecs over the years

Scarlet is poor (IMO) technically there is ripple in the response at 44.1, making it not match the hardware. It's only close running at 96k. . . it might sound good subjectively on some program material , but it's not what a Sontec sounds like. . . plus its bugs, chirps, and CPU consumption issues

IK is better, the curves match the hardware correctly, but the hardware sounds more open. IK sounds a bit cleaner than the hardware in my experience .. which can sometimes be a benefit.

the MH Sontec (IMO) nails what the hardware does ... I don't like the sound with everything set flat, and the tone can change in non intuitive ways .. ie: flip the low shelf from 50 to 100, you get a different tone even set at 0dB. (same trick gets used on the hardware to make choruses sound Bigger, etc...)

There is a reason that this version is the only one Burgess himself has ever collaborated or approved.
Loji, thank you so much for your review and time, we at makebelieve are very excited that it met your expectations.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athomas13727 ➡️
I decided to try the whole bundle and the MBEQ sounds really good to my ear. Controls are a bit fiddly and wish you could right click to solo like equilibrium, maat eq, etc. Feels like a cross between x-eq2 and MDWEQ but with a nice drive option.
Check out the manual! The goal is to get rid of the training wheel once you've learned all the key commands, then you can play the eq like an instrument! Thank you so much.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Jantex's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeBelieve ➡️
Jantex, thank you so much for this! We really appreciate you taking the time to test this out!
I didn't only test it. I really spent with it 5 hours already today. And am really impresses as I haven't been for a really long time. This peaked my interest to try also MB bundle and will need to test it thoroughly in the folowing days, but first impression just inserting parallels to some tracks and using good math and kevin's limiter is that it is pure magic..really cannot believe what I am hearing.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #46
Lives for gear
 
Hardtoe's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomyohmy ➡️
The real test will be against AlexB S432 GE.
It’s killer sonically though the nebula workflow is clunky
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex ➡️
I didn't only test it. I really spent with it 5 hours already today. And am really impresses as I haven't been for a really long time. This peaked my interest to try also MB bundle and will need to test it thoroughly in the folowing days, but first impression just inserting parallels to some tracks and using good math and kevin's limiter is that it is pure magic..really cannot believe what I am hearing.
Jantex! WOW. THANK YOU. May we use this as a quote moving forward?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #48
Quote:
Originally Posted by kichal ➡️
I'm usually not too fussy about the GUI, but is there a reason knobs don't align with markings on the faceplate on certain settings? I guess it's a simulation of perspective, but it's mostly annoying, the 2400Hz gain setting looks as much as 0.5dB as 1dB, not really sure which was it TBH.
Kichal! thank you so much for your incredible attention to detail! This is just the type of thing we are looking for on our beta list, if you are interested would you please shoot me an email at [email protected]
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #49
HVY
Gear Nut
 
HVY's Avatar
Don’t know what this new modeling thing is… but damn this sounds soooo good! Having used the real hw from time to time I can without any hesitation imo say this is the best sontec plugin period! Well done MH!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVY ➡️
Don’t know what this new modeling thing is… but damn this sounds soooo good! Having used the real hw from time to time I can without any hesitation imo say this is the best sontec plugin period! Well done MH!
if you check out our instagram @ MakeBelieve studio
you'll see a tab called METRIC HALO, this is where I will be updating with all the nerd behind the scene tech talk. The plugins are made with a new technology BJ is calling it Space State Extraction.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #51
Lives for gear
 
dandeurloo's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
The Sontec is very legit. I am rarely impressed by the sonics of plugins. The Sontec has it!

I also have to say that Kevin's limiter and Good Math rule as well. Some really serious work and products dropping from MB and MH. Congrats guys!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #52
Lives for gear
 
marchhare's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Looking forward to demoing tonight. The IK version isn't bad, used it on
a record a few years ago and then suddenly forgot about it. Scarlet is
really awful.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #53
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo ➡️
The Sontec is very legit. I am rarely impressed by the sonics of plugins. The Sontec has it!

I also have to say that Kevin's limiter and Good Math rule as well. Some really serious work and products dropping from MB and MH. Congrats guys!
Thank you so much Dan, I love you - Rick Carson
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #54
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVY ➡️
Don’t know what this new modeling thing is… but damn this sounds soooo good! Having used the real hw from time to time I can without any hesitation imo say this is the best sontec plugin period! Well done MH!
Thank you so much HVY!!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #55
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahstlz ➡️
Ok, looks all cool, and I've seen most of the social media posts of the last weeks. But I wonder what Metric Halo's role is in here.

Will there be a firmware update of MH products that implement the Sontec for DSP processing like the other MB plugins?

Will there be a discount for MH customers?
Yes there will be something coming your way!!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #56
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
It's weird how big it sounds, almost like an illusion. Which is what the hardware is like. EDIT: I take it back. It does have that wiry energetic HS2000 sound. Loji says he doesn't like it but I always kinda did. The 1000s are smoother and deeper, but the 2000s are exciting. Pretty damn convincing box tone.

Anyway, just a first impression but it's pretty impressive. I wish it had MS, but the hardware doesn't and its so easy to do it in a wrapper. I'm impressed enough to try the other plugins which I have no idea what they are for (very opaque marketing, but that's how I roll too).

Congrats guys! I feel like "sell all of the hardware" day is really coming soon.

Last edited by thermos; 4 weeks ago at 10:36 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #57
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➡️
It's weird how big it sounds, almost like an illusion. Which is what the hardware is like. I remember HS2000 based Sontecs sounding more wiry or electric, but this has some of that (maybe a bit duller). But I only ever owned a 250c and then one of the first Sontecs ever built (which I sold to Loji. Still have it?). This box tone sounds more like that one (which had HS1000s) than it did the 250c I had.

Anyway, just a first impression but it's pretty impressive. I wish it had MS, but the hardware doesn't and its so easy to do it in a wrapper. I'm impressed enough to try the other plugins which I have no idea what they are for (very opaque marketing, but that's how I roll too).

Congrats guys! I feel like "sell all of the hardware" day is really coming soon.
Thank you so much Thermos!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #58
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Installed the AU plugin, but when opening it, the ilok screen appears only with a buy and a quit button, no try button.. I am on OSX High Sierra..
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #59
Lives for gear
 
leckel1996's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete303 ➡️
Installed the AU plugin, but when opening it, the ilok screen appears only with a buy and a quit button, no try button.. I am on OSX High Sierra..
On their website when you click demo you have to have the license deposited into your account.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #60
Lives for gear
 
Endor's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
No output gain control on this plugin ?
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump