Quantcast
Sonnox released Claro EQ - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sonnox released Claro EQ
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

I'm learning to be one, studying from home and practicing with my partners' music. I figure right now is a good time to demo and try to learn these plug-ins too so that by Black Friday next month I can purchase appropriately instead of splurging on emotions! Lol
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
I’m not a mix engineer. I couldn’t hear a difference between Crave and ProQ3 - and ProQ3 is simply so easy to use, I’ve yet to find a reason to switch.

You’re doing the right thing by trying out various plugins.
I’m not a mix engineer per se either but I have to mix a lot of my own music and like to think I’ve got a good set of ears

One of the best EQs I have is MAAT Blue - it sonically beats everything else I have but it’s unusable for me as there are compatibility issues with izotope plugins.

I’ve been getting superb results with Claro especially for cutting out mud, honk, boxiness etc…. The results have been really satisfying- much more so than the regular tools I have like Crave, Pro-Q3, endless others.

You seem to be able to go a long way with this using subtractive eq - seemingly retaining a natural sound, at the same time, also getting rid of the frequencies you don’t want. I have to do tons of this when composing with orchestral samples.

Haven’t felt the need to do a shoot out - just found it’s working amazingly well for the job.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 ➡️
Personally, I prefer the Big Freq for notching and subtracting.....It can get crazy surgical without artifacts. Same thing with the MDWEQ6....

But demo away!
Hey, demoed and bought.

It's an awesome tool, great layout and visuals, sounds very clean like any would expect from Sonnox.
Instantly preferred it to the pre subscription neutron or ozone plugs, which never really did it for me anyway.
Oddly I bought the Izotope bundle and only really use RX8 and still use Nectar 2, I don't like the sound of the others, yet I bought em, go figure.
I've been slow to warm up to any of the AI stuff from anyone except the Soothe 2 and now Claro.
Am demoing the BigFreq today, thanks for the tip.
Very very happy with Claro purchase. There is something very special about this EQ,imo. I'm really happy that it isn't a coloured eq, I have eq's for colour additive
Excellent job Sonnox
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneHall ➡️
Hey, demoed and bought.

It's an awesome tool, great layout and visuals, sounds very clean like any would expect from Sonnox.
Instantly preferred it to the pre subscription neutron or ozone plugs, which never really did it for me anyway.
Oddly I bought the Izotope bundle and only really use RX8 and still use Nectar 2, I don't like the sound of the others, yet I bought em, go figure.
I've been slow to warm up to any of the AI stuff from anyone except the Soothe 2 and now Claro.
Am demoing the BigFreq today, thanks for the tip.
Very very happy with Claro purchase. There is something very special about this EQ,imo. I'm really happy that it isn't a coloured eq, I have eq's for colour additive
Excellent job Sonnox
I am finding I like the cleanliness of Claro has a bit of a logic pro / studio one look imo.
I was looking for a way to change the gain without changing the frequency, by pressing option or shift etc. That didn't work but then spotted the 2 sliders either side on the left and right.

I quite like that and find it less prone to slip particularly as I am now using a left hand roller ball to save my right shoulder....
I hope that they will add an individual node bypass/off switch at the bottom where the headphone icon and q etc are, as this would be easier than the right click drop down off switch, that you need to actually be on a node to access.

Would also prefer the bypass to be more central rather than a the right...

I think it seems so far to be a great eq , easy to use, clearly laid out, machine licensable (unlike the oxford) with some helpful AI and low cpu.

Great that in the mix view it's all there. You don't have to label things or add them to groups etc.

Probably going to look at the manual for any bits I might be missing.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBP ➡️
I am finding I like the cleanliness of Claro has a bit of a logic pro / studio one look imo.
I was looking for a way to change the gain without changing the frequency, by pressing option or shift etc. That didn't work but then spotted the 2 sliders either side on the left and right.

I quite like that and find it less prone to slip particularly as I am now using a left hand roller ball to save my right shoulder....
I hope that they will add an individual node bypass/off switch at the bottom where the headphone icon and q etc are, as this would be easier than the right click drop down off switch, that you need to actually be on a node to access.

Would also prefer the bypass to be more central rather than a the right...

I think it seems so far to be a great eq , easy to use, clearly laid out, machine licensable (unlike the oxford) with some helpful AI and low cpu.

Great that in the mix view it's all there. You don't have to label things or add them to groups etc.

Probably going to look at the manual for any bits I might be missing.
I've just switched to my left hand too, I thought it was a really bad idea at first but I needed space to my right for my guitar boxes. It's fine now but how weird initially, everything about working is a tad different like you pointed out, even plugin use!
I'm not experiencing any dramatic cpu hits using Claro on the master and 8 ST buses. Haven't tried strapping it across all channels because the width feature intrigues me . So far I love it. I'm able to do inside one plugin what I might do with multi aux feeds into two different side buses feeding the master.
The manual will definitely get a breeze through here.
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneHall ➡️
I've just switched to my left hand too, I thought it was a really bad idea at first but I needed space to my right for my guitar boxes. It's fine now but how weird initially, everything about working is a tad different like you pointed out, even plugin use!
I'm not experiencing any dramatic cpu hits using Claro on the master and 8 ST buses. Haven't tried strapping it across all channels because the width feature intrigues me . So far I love it. I'm able to do inside one plugin what I might do with multi aux feeds into two different side buses feeding the master.
The manual will definitely get a breeze through here.
Yes I forgot about the width feature. Played around with that earlier using a stereo meter to show the effect.
In mix view it looks pretty with the pink side pattern over the blue mid !
The main difficulty with using the left hand I am finding, is when to press and release option for copying things !
But actually after a week or so I am enjoying the lack of shoulder pain I was getting....I have been trying to limit my mousege....
I checked the vst3 in studio one on my old macbook pro 2013 and it was coming up at 0 - 2 per instance. So not heavy at all so far....As a ref TC vss4 reverb which is heavy was 18.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear
DO I really need a new EQ???
GBP
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJames ➡️
DO I really need a new EQ???
Probably
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
So far so good

Started the demo today, so far I'm really digging the workflow Claro encourages / enables. The Produce view is keeping me from over-tweaking early on, and I'm using my ears more than my eyes. Definitely leading to eq curves that I wouldn't come up with using something else. I can see how the Mix view will be super useful later on as well.

The price seems quite reasonable for what you get here. The CPU hit is negligible too.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBP ➡️
I don't think that does but perhaps you are thinking of Sonible smart eq 3 ?
I’ll DM you as I don’t want to derail the thread.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I have a lot of EQ options and don't usually buy plug-ins right away, but this one, yes sir. The thing that really stands out here is the benefits to my workflow. It's a quick, easy and visual digital EQ that offers workflow solutions at every stage of the process. The auto gain works great.

The implementation of the design here is noteworthy. It's everything I could ever want in a digital EQ.

Thanks Sonnox.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The visual musical feedback Claro delivers is a game-changer. Can´t stop dissecting songs. Had to open a music theory app to follow the feedback within Track view. It's sick how Claro helps to borrow the golden ears of my favourite mix engineers.

Do you guys have any ideas on how to control the plugin effectively without a mouse only?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto_ ➡️
Watching YT vids on this new EQ. Just started using TDR NOVA (free for now) for dynamic duties and am really liking its capabilities.

I was hunting for a workhorse EQ comparing Pro-Q3 and Crave since they appear to be standards from all the reviews I've been following recently. Claro looks great for learning more about frequency relationships and how several users have mentioned its ability to display masking. The workflow especially seems super user friendly. I've been using Logic's stock EQ which is fine for how I've been using it, but I think I'm going to give Claro a spin to see if I can expedite understanding more about EQing. Keeping an eye on this thread for more reviews and incite.

How is everyone's experience so far to these others? I've been reading that Pro-Q3's sound is not as pleasing as Crave's. Wonder if Claro also imparts a similar feel?
I am a Pro-Q-to-Crave convert, and I'm keen to check out this EQ - so I will let you know.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Walsh ➡️
This has to be the cleanest eq I've used. It does what you want it to do, just like it says on the tin. The functionality is great and I'm sure it'll become my main all-purpose eq.

I decided to check in Plugin Doctor for the hell of it. Something I rarely do. What I noticed is that it has no harmonics whatsoever. The other candidates (Maat Blue, Pro Q3, SSL X-EQ) all had varying degrees of harmonics. Is this a thing? How do they do it? Curious..

The Oxford Dynamic, which is fantastic, same thing. No harmonics. What are Sonnox doing differently?
Those "harmonics" you see in Plugin Doctor with the other EQ's are truncation noise - as those plugins output 32-bit floating point back to the DAW rate. They aren't harmonics.

Sonnox, Voxengo, Crave, Tokyo Dawn and some others operate at 64-bit internally and output at that. They sometimes call this "double-precision".

The generally accepted wisdom is that there's no perceivable sound quality difference - but I disagree
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
just did a thorough comparison between Claro and FF ProQ3. Sound-wise they are really similar ( especially when ProQ3 is in natural phase/linear phase mode). So it is just the difference in workflow.

Claro's "produce" view allows you to high pass/low pass real fast and apply tonal eq in broad stroke; also the "mix" view is very useful when eq-ing similar instrument tracks(like synth layers, bass layers). You can have a better understand of which track occupying which part of freq spectrum in a quicker manner. All of these features are not provided by ProQ3.

( to be fair, ProQ3 has some feature like dynamic mode, EQ matching mode that Claro doesn't have)

I see Claro "copied" some feature from other company ( izotope's detection algo of eq overlapping , smart eq:3's one page to tweak all other tracks' eq curve). But by putting these smart features with Sonnox's supreme sonic quality, i can see Claro is definitely a successful product
Gear Addict
Interface is the thing when we talk about EQ in 2021 and Claro offers something very interesting. I don't know how useful it is in real world, but it is a plugin that is worth to try.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Very cool EQ. Sonnox team is among the best in the business. But what’s with this god awful font scheme? Trebuchet? Were they high when they designed this?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbenzon ➡️
I see Claro "copied" some feature from other company ( izotope's detection algo of eq overlapping , smart eq:3's one page to tweak all other tracks' eq curve). But by putting these smart features with Sonnox's supreme sonic quality, i can see Claro is definitely a successful product
Claro has nothing in common with other products that try to visualize audio. The Autogain is the best I ever heard. The displayed energy Claro reveals is a great help to balance signals before you even grab any processing tool. The GUIs might look familiar but the maths behind them is a game-changer if you ask me.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

I'm impressed with the workflow of this beauty. And I've just noticed Invert EQ, and that is a nice final touch. Definitely grabbing this.

Invert EQ:
https://www.sonnox.com/sites/default...20-%20Mix.webm
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Anyone manage to get this to show up in Reaper?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVsnd ➡️
Anyone manage to get this to show up in Reaper?
I'm on a Mac, so not sure if this will help you, but I fixed it by going into Preferences>Plug-Ins>VST and clicking on "Re-Scan," and then "Clear Cache and Re-Scan VST Paths for All Plug-Ins."
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Derek ➡️
I'm impressed with the workflow of this beauty. And I've just noticed Invert EQ, and that is a nice final touch. Definitely grabbing this.

Invert EQ:
https://www.sonnox.com/sites/default...20-%20Mix.webm
Invert EQ works great with two instances of Claro on a track and another plugin in between.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Claro worked perfectly in a stem mastering session today, so I bought it. Some clever workflow features which lead to different decisions than what I’d do with my go-tos, for a super satisfying result, sonically.
I just wish I could hide some of the visual cues to my liking.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I like it, it makes me interact with an eq in a different way than a traditional eq plugin. So thats a win for me. And you can pry Q3 from my cold dead hands lol.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovnD313 ➡️
I like it, it makes me interact with an eq in a different way than a traditional eq plugin. So thats a win for me. And you can pry Q3 from my cold dead hands lol.
could really use an undo/redo button
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovnD313 ➡️
could really use an undo/redo button
+1

Same here, I was looking for it right away, hopefully they will add it down the road.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by momomel ➡️
Interface is the thing when we talk about EQ in 2021
Very much agree with this, which for me rules out a lot of EQs...

Claro is something different though. I'm getting really really good results with it.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Tried this yesterday and I love the interface. If it had a dynamic option I'd get it and sell pro q3. I can't decide if it's adding much though. I remixed a track that I previously mixed using reaper stock EQ and a control surface and preferred the earlier mix. Using my eyes tempts me to do things my ears wouldn't do.

The autogain function on Claro is amazing though
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw63 ➡️
Tried this yesterday and I love the interface. If it had a dynamic option I'd get it and sell pro q3. I can't decide if it's adding much though. I remixed a track that I previously mixed using reaper stock EQ and a control surface and preferred the earlier mix. Using my eyes tempts me to do things my ears wouldn't do.

The autogain function on Claro is amazing though
According to this guy, the dynamic ability will be coming in a future update. The info is at 12:13.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzlDjjSD244
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Claro is the One..

This plugin is awesome.. sounds soo clean & clear. Tried it against a couple other EQ's and it was cleaner. When I subtract it doesn't feel like I'm taking anything out, it just sounds right. Lastly the workflow does it for me everything in one window, mixing faster. Sonnox great job.. you hit a homerun with this one. One request please add Dynamic eq to Claro, that would be the icing on the cake & you would take a big share of Fabfilter ProQ3 market.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…