Quantcast
Plogue Chipsynth-ops7 (DX-7 emu!) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Plogue Chipsynth-ops7 (DX-7 emu!)
Old 3 weeks ago
Plogue Chipsynth-ops7 (DX-7 emu!)

Has this been posted here? Sorry if so.

https://www.plogue.com/products/chipsynth-ops7.html

Damn, this thing sounds fine. I've always wanted a DX-7.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
The thread in the electronic music forum got vaporized for some reason and this plug should just not be slept on! As a previous owner of the TX7, I can guarantee it's dead on. I've been looking for another TX7 for quite a while since I missed it so damn much - not anymore.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWestSE ➡️
The thread in the electronic music forum got vaporized for some reason and this plug should just not be slept on! As a previous owner of the TX7, I can guarantee it's dead on. I've been looking for another TX7 for quite a while since I missed it so damn much - not anymore.
I was thinking about buying the Arturia version. Glad I held off now. As you say, the sound is so damn accurate.

And that price???? Yes, please. I honestly was expecting it to be quite a bit more, considering how much work went into this beast.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Why is the thread deleted ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid ➡️
Why is the thread deleted ?
I would like to know as well. Hopefully by accident.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Reinstate the thread. I was following that with interest.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Looks quite interesting!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Dat random tho
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Bought this pretty much immediately. It's the first DX7 emulation that sounds like they actually got it right. The one thing I wish it had was the proper noise floor hiss.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

But can you get a demo? I tried the downloads page and unless I am severely mistaken there's no OPS7.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So one of the Plogue videos mentioned "a lot of high frequency content" if running a DAW 96khz or higher. Has anyone tested this and, if so, just how much is "a lot"? I'd try a demo, but......
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
So one of the Plogue videos mentioned "a lot of high frequency content" if running a DAW 96khz or higher. Has anyone tested this and, if so, just how much is "a lot"? I'd try a demo, but......
Their emulation internally runs at the same sample rate as the hardware so it has the exact same aliasing artifacts. Sounds just like it’s supposed to. It also has filtering options to emulate different versions of the hardware and a few classic recording DI inputs for it.

I’m pretty sure a demo will be posted soon. There are demos for their other plugins and this one opens up in a demo mode until you register it.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
He didn't mean as in "bright", he meant as in the specific calculations he was talking about will likely cost a lot of cpu in 96, if I understood it correctly.

This definitely (and unsurprisingly) sounds like the best itb 6op Yamaha thing, but sadly it still don't make me want to sell the real thing.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rik0 ➡️
But can you get a demo? I tried the downloads page and unless I am severely mistaken there's no OPS7.
Cannot find it either!
Lives for gear

21 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician ➡️
Cannot find it either!
On another forum, the developer said the demo would be out in approximately two weeks. They want to iron out any last issues first.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot ➡️
On another forum, the developer said the demo would be out in approximately two weeks. They want to iron out any last issues first.
Fair enough. Will wait for the demo to be available to try it. Between FM8, Operator and the Arturia one I need to make sure that this one adds something *for me* that I cannot achieve with the existing stuff.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Given what Plogue's achieved with PortaFM and Chipsynth MD, this was an instant purchase for me.

I don't mind the feature set as much as the sheer sonics, and damn OPS7 sounds gorgeous : I'm so glad to have it at my disposal. Pretty sure it'll cohabit and contrast very nicely with the other FM synths I own / use / love. I won't use the presets, and to my ears 2 or 3 operators are often more than enough, so it's all about the emotional response when playing notes and tweaking its parameters... and it delivers.

Now, does it sound like a DX7 ? No clue, and it doesn't matter at all to me.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Fair enough. Will wait for the demo to be available to try it. Between FM8, Operator and the Arturia one I need to make sure that this one adds something *for me* that I cannot achieve with the existing stuff.
you cannot achieve it. but if you think fm8 operator and arturia sound like a dx7 then it wont really matter anyways.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodwest ➡️
you cannot achieve it. but if you think fm8 operator and arturia sound like a dx7 then it wont really matter anyways.
Could you please elaborate? Do you mean like a real hardware DX7?
The Arturia is a DX7 model.

If you mean that it's not a particularly faithful one, then I suppose the answer lies in the demo. I do not mind it's sound, TBH. But I find FM8 easier to to program for whatever reason.

Luckily in the meantime the demo is available. I quite like the sound. It has a certain character.

Demo conditions are tough (4 minutes, then stops working). It's enough to play around with the presets, but not to try to its full potential. I find these quite usable, Personally depending on what I am trying to achieve, it might take me more than 4 minutes to get there.

I might still decide to purchase because of the gut feeling. But TBH that's something that made me buy a bunch of stuff I am not really using (such as the Arturia DX and the newer SQ80).

I am under the impression that the workflow with this one is also particularly good. That might be enough. But it's a pity I cannot try and make a couple of more complex sounds from scratch to see if I actually like it for real.

Unfortunately I noticed that especially for synthesizers there are some I do like a lot how they sound, but never use in practice precisely because of the workflow.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot ➡️
Plogue is one of a small handful of talented developers its perfectly safe to buy blind without demoing. He is extremely thorough and if another Plogue synth is running fine in your DAW you can be pretty sure this one will too. Plogue hits a home run every single time and I have all his synths except for Bidule.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Could you please elaborate? Do you mean like a real hardware DX7?
The Arturia is a DX7 model.
yes. And yes ops7 sounds more like the real thing.

Quote:
Luckily in the meantime the demo is available. I quite like the sound. It has a certain character.
exactly. the character that these other emulations do not achieve.

Quote:
Unfortunately I noticed that especially for synthesizers there are some I do like a lot how they sound, but never use in practice precisely because of the workflow.
sounds like you got enough synths then. why have one more?

if you are about programming patches its possible to do here... open the manual and mess around with the envelopes. if you can figure that out and seems straightforward then maybe you know the answer.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
I tried this synth yesterday (10 minute demo would be more convenient than 4 minutes). I am very sorry to say but this synth is awesome sounding and it has something that is special. That ingredient or say it however you want.

I say sorry because my wife and my wallet aren't going to like it. Haha.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by barada ➡️
I say sorry because my wife and my wallet aren't going to like it. Haha.
< $50 for four minutes? Are you sure your wife won't like it?

Just a friendly laugh, my friend... this (soft) synth killz!

(may have just typed my last post here on the Space... was just humour)
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs ➡️
< $50 for four minutes? Are you sure your wife won't like it?

Just a friendly laugh, my friend... this (soft) synth killz!

(may have just typed my last post here on the Space... was just humour)
Are you married or living with a partner? A dollar out for my studio is too much for my wife

btw. it's fine I love good humor.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
To other people - I have Arturia DX7. While their interface is somewhat better (especially with macro controls) I am finding that the sound of this OPs7 synth is substantially more inspiring and "better".

Better in terms of realism. I know I am using subjective buzzwords so perhaps it's best for Arturia owners to try and trial this one side by side.

Speaking of macros...that doesn't sound as a bad idea.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Are you married or living with a partner?
Indeed I am. And my head is kept on (somewhat) straight because of it. Years... precious!

Quote:
btw. it's fine I love good humor.
Glad you accepted it, friend. No laugh, short life!

Be well,

<3
Old 4 days ago
Wow, this synth really deserves more attention!

The reverse engineering work that stands behind its development is mind blowing! Firmware, CPU, DAC, chips, it is basically real DX7 in the box!

And the great SYSEX browser gives the huge amount of sounds available in a second.

The sound is on spot and beautiful - the best DX7 emulation on the planet. The price is great.
This is how vsti emulations should be made. Instant buy.

PS. Developer's video about reverse engineering DX7 is amazing.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I much prefer the GUI of Dexed: everything directly accessible and providing a good overview of all settings... Not so with OPS7.

The sound is very nice, granted.
But programming sounds in OPS7 for me feels like a tiresome practice tbh.
Not for me.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

How does it compare to Dexed soundwise? I am very curious...
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1973 ➡️
How does it compare to Dexed soundwise? I am very curious...
It sounds much better.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…