Quantcast
PreSonus Studio One 5.4 Update Adds Native Apple Silicon Support and Performance Improvements - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PreSonus Studio One 5.4 Update Adds Native Apple Silicon Support and Performance Improvements
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs ➡️
So do I!!! Nothing but positives all around.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to post your initial experience with it in such detail. Very promising!

Cheers to you.
You're very welcome!

Cheers!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The new statistics tab in the plugin manager is brutal.
Lives for gear

I appreciate having the plugin nap capability.

However, I'd love to be able to click on the moon in the list and disable it for one or more specific plugins that run in the background (for example, a 3rd party MIDI LFO tool since one still isn't built into Studio One despite pretty much every other DAW having them). Otherwise I have to choose between saving CPU or having MIDI LFO.

Alternatively, just implement a MIDI LFO already.

EDIT: A fantastic and expensive workaround = cableguys midishaper + bluecats patchwork (vst2 so it won't nap). I'll have to invest, but using the demo has worked well. Midishaper is $29 and Patchwork is $88 at JRRShop. All for a tool that should be built in.....
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aziak ➡️
Hi Realtugs,

You describe the Plugin Nap exactly as it actually works.
I was the person that i posted that comment of a mix, that P.N. feature made a huge difference when it was enabled versus before it's existence in Studio One 5.

"Proof is in the pudding."

In a mix i work today, again @24/96k, that feature comes very handy because, (as all can see from the screenshots below) without it enabled, the session peaks at 81%, with the playback anchor at bar 7. At that bar very few tracks have audio information to be processed and with P.N. enabled, the CPU falls down to 59%. There is no use for the CPU to have such a load without reason, at that point, right?
When more tracks will need to get processed, then the plugins will get active and will peak again at 81%.

I call this great CPU management! Also i find this a great feature because the CPU doesn't work full time when the session stays idle. Can save the computer from producing excessive heat and fun noise as well. So IMO it is not gimmick at all, it works excellent for my case and it is very welcomed that Presonus made it happen.

Some people whine for everything these days.....oh well.

Cheers!
"The proof of the pudding is in the eating."

Sorry to be pedantic but I see 'the proof is in the pudding' all the time and it's meaningless without the 'in the eating' part.

What you're trying to convey with with this phrase is that only *eating* a pudding proves whether or not it's a good pudding. No matter how, good it looks, if you don't enjoy eating it, it's a **** pudding - as the sole purpose of a pudding is to be eaten and its worth is judged by how enjoyable (or not) that eating actually is.

Anyway. Sorry for this interruption and back to your regular programming.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
And still no surround format support
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Presonus need to figure out what audience to target with Studio One. Too many features.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Plug-in nap is great! Easily cuts 20% of your cpu usage. But you have to be careful with some plugins.. Waves plugins for example do not nap if the analog button is engaged. Makes sense cause there is signal present on the channel at all times. Same thing with plugin alliance channel strips, turn the "v gain" down to enable the napping.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funksta ➡️
It's an on off switch for plugins that works in the background. If you have 20 plugins on while NAP is activated it turns them off after a few seconds if there not processing audio or sleeps Naps them. The CPU load is removed while there Napped asleep in exactly the same way as when you use the power button to turn the 20 plugins off manually. The same way it's always been Nap just does it for you. As soon as you press play and audio is being processed by the plugins the CPU load all comes back in one lump to exactly the same place it was before. If you open the plugin gui and edit anything it stops Nap on that plugin.

I can see why people may be confused into thinking there project uses less overall CPU with it on but thats because it turned plugins off and they think there getting a performance increase but there not. It realicates resources while it's turned on nothing more nothing less.

Nap could potentially cause more problems than it's worth if you keep adding plugins to new tracks and forget 20 are already Napped when you hit play back under a heavy load. That 20% CPU you thought you had really isnt there, you just never had those 20+ plugins powerd on and processing audio because there Napped.
You assume that all tracks are always playing simultaneously. What if I have vocal throws with tons of inserts on them, specific builds that happen before the drop hits, sections which could have very different instrumentation such as an intro or a bridge and so on…
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommijk ➡️
But you have to be careful with some plugins.
Yep, Acustica Audio plugins are crashing in 5.4 too.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo ➡️
Yep, Acustica Audio plugins are crashing in 5.4 too.
No crashing here on Acustica stuff, and even plug-in nap works at least the ones I have tried.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You're absolutely right. This is the correct form of that idiom.
The language has been transformed through time and not in the right direction, unfortunately. Most people these days tend to use it wrong, as i did... i'm guilty as charged!

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axy McGuitarface ➡️

Sorry to be pedantic but I see 'the proof is in the pudding' all the time and it's meaningless without the 'in the eating' part.

What you're trying to convey with with this phrase is that only *eating* a pudding proves whether or not it's a good pudding. No matter how, good it looks, if you don't enjoy eating it, it's a **** pudding - as the sole purpose of a pudding is to be eaten and its worth is judged by how enjoyable (or not) that eating actually is.

Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommijk ➡️
No crashing here on Acustica stuff, and even plug-in nap works at least the ones I have tried.
Don't crash for me either on WIndows 10.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Import session data, as detailed as in Pro Tools... No? Oh well...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
On my MBA M1 some of VST2 and VST3 (all Plugin Alliance for example) has just vaporized and S1 doesn't find them. Has anyone got the same problem or solution for it?
Gear Maniac

If you just updated and run the native version, that makes sense. Your plugins are compiled for intel, and only run on the rosetta version. You need native plugins to use with native S1. It's pretty similar to how 32 bit plugins couldn't run in 64 bit daws.

Quote:
Native mode offers additional CPU optimization for overall better performance but requires plug-ins, instruments, and hardware drivers to be native as well.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Plugin Nap seems to simplify deactivating tracks. Think the idea behind is to free CPU once you reach your limits. Or if you cooperate with another S1 user to recieve deactivated tracks if your computer can't handle the track count. Should work in theory with large Kontakt sessions too.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra ➡️
You assume that all tracks are always playing simultaneously. What if I have vocal throws with tons of inserts on them, specific builds that happen before the drop hits, sections which could have very different instrumentation such as an intro or a bridge and so on…
I didn't asume at all. I understand plugins activate and deactivate based on audio being processed and song structure with NAP. It's not exactly hard to figure out. I did test it and know how it works. It's ok with audio tracks but on a VSTI track it kicked one of my arps out of sync in Diva when the inserts on the VST channel came back on. It's also cranky with AA plugins right now, N4 is a problem using NAP so what else will be cranky after more testing. Anything that powers down and back up in audio processing or streaming can potentially cause spikes and glitches. Some plugins NAP and the moon icon doesn't even show up. You can tell because the CPU usage drops while Napped but the moon icon is missing. It's sketchy at best just like some of the other half baked features they added into V5.

Some people may not have the same problems i do. In 5.3 i have none of the above problems. With 5.4 and Nap i do.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Plugin Nap is a smart move to increase the user base I think. I was worried how to open an M1X session once they get released. Now only third party plugins could be a problem as long as they consume resources.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
NAP is brutal on my 2013 i5 . Doesn´t do anything with plugins that are not ready for NAP.
I did insert S1 stock plugins until the CPU crapped. Muted the events and the CPU needed some time until it went to a minimum.

In the future, exporting S1 songs could require only muting events I think. No more headache on how to open 200+ tracks if need be.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi ➡️
NAP is brutal on my 2013 i5 . Doesn´t do anything with plugins that are not ready for NAP.
I did insert S1 stock plugins until the CPU crapped. Muted the events and the CPU needed some time until it went to a minimum.

In the future, exporting S1 songs could require only muting events I think. No more headache on how to open 200+ tracks if need be.
Nap has it's place and can be a good thing, but it's not the miracle CPU performace upgrade they make it out to be. If anything it just makes you change your workflow in specific ways.

It's upto the user to decide if it's a good thing for them or not. All you can do is try it out and If it works for you then it's happy days
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapmak3r ➡️
One feature request that would make a switch (as a tracking/mixing DAW) from Cubase to Studio One painless for me would be a similarly featured control room like Cubase/Nuendo has,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temps ➡️
this, this, this, a thousand times this

Switching from Cubase to S1 has been a giant improvement for me - S1 is a quantum leap ahead in workflow and performance. Literally the only feature I miss is the Control Room.
If you haven't already, give it an upvote

https://answers.presonus.com/23609/m...w=23609#q23609
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tviler ➡️
If you just updated and run the native version, that makes sense. Your plugins are compiled for intel, and only run on the rosetta version. You need native plugins to use with native S1. It's pretty similar to how 32 bit plugins couldn't run in 64 bit daws.
Now I checked and you're right - Fabfilter is alright, but they are M1 native since january. Most of AU plugins are good, but VSTs are mostly down and I mostly use VST to be PC compatible. That sucks. A lot.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC ➡️
If you haven't already, give it an upvote

https://answers.presonus.com/23609/m...w=23609#q23609
Already have! I'm surprised that this feature is not one of the most requested to be honest, but I guess if people aren't familiar with it, they don't know what they are missing!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funksta ➡️
Nap has it's place and can be a good thing, but it's not the miracle CPU performace upgrade they make it out to be. If anything it just makes you change your workflow in specific ways.

It's upto the user to decide if it's a good thing for them or not. All you can do is try it out and If it works for you then it's happy days
They improved the performance quite heavily for Apple silicon it seems. Which in the long run will increase the user base.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

You’re a pedantophile.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 ➡️
You’re a pedantophile.
Sorry to be pedantic but a pedantophile would be someone with a love of pedants - not of pedantry.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sorry to be pedantic but a pedantophile would be someone with a love of pedants - not of pedantry.
Exactly.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi ➡️
They improved the performance quite heavily for Apple silicon it seems. Which in the long run will increase the user base.
Yep. M1 is were the bulk of the performance went to. Everyone else just got a reallocate resource option with Nap. They tweaked MixFX CPU usage as well but ive not tested that yet.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My i5 with NAP on consumes less CPU with medium than larger drop out protection better. Weird but makes sense if Presonus tuned S1 for lowest possible latencies with Apple silicon.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…