Quantcast
Pulsar Modular releases P42 Climax- Line Amp - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pulsar Modular releases P42 Climax- Line Amp
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Pulsar Modular releases P42 Climax- Line Amp

Pulsar Modular has released P42 Climax, is a line amp emulation for tone shaping/coloration, saturation and conjures more of the idea of working with hardware. Scalp your sound whether processing a single instrument, grouped tracks, the 2-bus or even when mastering.
P42 Climax can assimilate the line amp of many different coloring hardware devices like the Neve 1080, Studer A812 Tape recorder and WolfBox DI. How do you get the Motown sound? You will need the Wolfbox DI made in the late 60s and used by the recording studios at that time for the signature bass guitar sound.
Full functioning 20-days trial available. No dongle required.
Price: $249 on www.pulsarmodular.com
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Got excited for a new Pulsar plug, cuz i love their 1178 and Mu. Then I was disappointed by the price, which seemed higher than their other offerings. But THEN i discovered that these are two different companies.

But THEN i noticed they have almost identical logos

What the heck is going on??
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➡️
Got excited for a new Pulsar plug, cuz i love their 1178 and Mu. Then I was disappointed by the price, which seemed higher than their other offerings. But THEN i discovered that these are two different companies.

My exact experience as well lol
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yes the logo and names are very confusing. I listened to the demos of this amp sim and was quite impressed by them. I don't know if there are demos.

Yes the price tag is very high. They explain why at their FAQ section.

I got interested first as the have the Moog fixed filter Bank as a plugin but I already got the good old plugin from Audio Damage and I'm not sure if the audio quality really justified the extreme high price.

They recently released the Lunar Lander reverb plugin which already got some praise. I learned about that via repetitive payed advertisement on YouTube. Maybe that's one reason why the prices are so high.

If the sound of the p42 judging from the short demos on their page are actual as good and no convolution was involved the prices might be okay. But without more indepths information and reviews from audio engineers, hardware guys, like WheelieR with a true unbiased opinion I never would by this at the moment. It's hardly anything to find at the moment about those people and the homepage doesn't give much information.

Would love to hear some information or thoughts from other people.

Cheers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
No hurry.......will wait........Black Friday
Gear Nut

Quote:

You can find posts from Pulsar Modular on this website since 2016. See
NEW! Pulsar 900 Series Modular Synthesizer for OS X/AU
The plugin market is over crowded. We launched the business to compete against hardware and not plugins
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years

I wish them well.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Got excited for a new Pulsar plug, cuz i love their 1178 and Mu.
I think we're talking about two different companies here, no? Pulsar Audio and Pulsar Modular.

The website and products list are different, at least.

It's a bit confusing, because even their logos are similar, but not the same.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun ➡️
Yes the logo and names are very confusing. I listened to the demos of this amp sim and was quite impressed by them. I don't know if there are demos.

Yes the price tag is very high. They explain why at their FAQ section.

I got interested first as the have the Moog fixed filter Bank as a plugin but I already got the good old plugin from Audio Damage and I'm not sure if the audio quality really justified the extreme high price.

They recently released the Lunar Lander reverb plugin which already got some praise. I learned about that via repetitive payed advertisement on YouTube. Maybe that's one reason why the prices are so high.

If the sound of the p42 judging from the short demos on their page are actual as good and no convolution was involved the prices might be okay. But without more indepths information and reviews from audio engineers, hardware guys, like WheelieR with a true unbiased opinion I never would by this at the moment. It's hardly anything to find at the moment about those people and the homepage doesn't give much information.

Would love to hear some information or thoughts from other people.

Cheers
Yes P42 Climax took one year to complete. We had to wait for the right PHD mathematician to bring the right math formulas to translate correctly what we were hearing. No convolution used. Less than 2%cpu usage and one sample latency DAW compensated.

We do not recycle JUCE DSP modules (which ends up everyone sounding the same, except the GUI is different).
Lunar Lander has praises from everyone who used it, and it has been on the market for one year. We also delivered an iOS version!
We tried contacting many YouTube influencers to do a review but hit a brick wall. Reminds me of the old days where we would send our songs to DJs and Radio stations but never get our songs air-played. So we reverted to YouTube ads and we paid $100, that’s it. The campaign was for one week.
As for the P914FFB, we checked the only 914 plugin we found on the market, beforehand; as it made no sense to re-invent the wheel. However, after 5 minutes of testing it, we committed to developing the FFB.
All our products do NOT use hardware dongle protection, instead, uses a one time Challenge/Response. Thereafter, no poking into your computer.
We offer 20 days full version trial on all our products.
Hope I answered all your questions and concerns.

ps: we are more than happy to send a full license (NFR) to any YouTube influencer/reviewer. So if you know someone let them know!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In the current climate, any plugin manufacturer putting a $249 valuation on a one of their products needs to have a long, hard look at themselves. I'd see through it if the release was something incredibly groundbreaking and something the audio world had yet to experience, but it isn't.
A shameful approach really and a bit of an insult to the audio community especially when there are (in my opinion) much better alternatives out there that do similar things for a fraction of the price.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by valjean24601 ➡️
In the current climate, any plugin manufacturer putting a $249 valuation on a one of their products needs to have a long, hard look at themselves. I'd see through it if the release was something incredibly groundbreaking and something the audio world had yet to experience, but it isn't.
A shameful approach really and a bit of an insult to the audio community especially when there are (in my opinion) much better alternatives out there that do similar things for a fraction of the price.
Your opinion would have a bigger impact, if you had downloaded and tried one of the plugins and came to this conclusion and then offered the name of the better alternative.
If the current climate is bi-weekly sales from 50 to 80%, that does not imply that we are despicable shameful company, just because we are holding to our set of values. There are hundreds of plugin companies and thousands of plugins. Why you need to force one size fits all? Go check PA, Softube or even UA. They have prices in the $249+ but you got accustomed to the high discounts.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree it's pricey, but I'm not sure why it is shameful or insulting. Any chance you'd care to elaborate?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I have not downloaded the demo so I do not know what the plug-in is worth (to ME) but for someone to be personally offended by the price seems absolutely ridiculous and frankly, quite laughable….
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I agree it's pricey, but I'm not sure why it is shameful or insulting. Any chance you'd care to elaborate?
I think it's insulting considering the economic climate at the moment in the midst of a worldwide pandemic. Many in the creative arts are struggling, even some top-tier creatives that I'm familiar with, so to see a plugin appear on the market for $249 (one that in my view, doesn't necessarily warrant a price tag that high) I feel is an insult to many creatives out there. It shows absolutely no empathy or understanding to their potential customer base.
So many companies these days are extremely cost aware when it comes to pricing their products and they understand the challenges that their target base are enduring. It would appear that this company aren't bothered about that one bit.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by p900 ➡️
Your opinion would have a bigger impact, if you had downloaded and tried one of the plugins and came to this conclusion and then offered the name of the better alternative.
If the current climate is bi-weekly sales from 50 to 80%, that does not imply that we are despicable shameful company, just because we are holding to our set of values. There are hundreds of plugin companies and thousands of plugins. Why you need to force one size fits all? Go check PA, Softube or even UA. They have prices in the $249+ but you got accustomed to the high discounts.
Yep, all the companies you mentioned offer better value for the price.
You can put any price you want, but make no mistake, companies who ask for these prices are very well established and, as repeated before, give more value to their customers than the products they sell.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes P42 Climax took one year to complete. We had to wait for the right PHD mathematician to bring the right math formulas to translate correctly what we were hearing. No convolution used. Less than 2%cpu usage and one sample latency DAW compensated.

We do not recycle JUCE DSP modules (which ends up everyone sounding the same, except the GUI is different).
Lunar Lander has praises from everyone who used it, and it has been on the market for one year. We also delivered an iOS version!
We tried contacting many YouTube influencers to do a review but hit a brick wall. Reminds me of the old days where we would send our songs to DJs and Radio stations but never get our songs air-played. So we reverted to YouTube ads and we paid $100, that’s it. The campaign was for one week.
As for the P914FFB, we checked the only 914 plugin we found on the market, beforehand; as it made no sense to re-invent the wheel. However, after 5 minutes of testing it, we committed to developing the FFB.
All our products do NOT use hardware dongle protection, instead, uses a one time Challenge/Response. Thereafter, no poking into your computer.

ps: we are more than happy to send a full license (NFR) to any YouTube influencer/reviewer. So if you know someone let them know!
Hey, thank you for adding such insights here. Very interesting. I wonder why certain Youtubers rejected to present your products. Did you let them the choice to say whatever they think about it?

I could try out some contacts but cannot promise anything. I know some get a lot of stuff and that all is very time consuming.

Can you also say a bit about the resemblance to the other company "pulsar" are you both connected in any form? (the logo is so similar too)

What I find a bit awkward is that there is nothing to find on your homepage about who you are and where you come from or what backgrounds you have. I am always reading such things with interest and I think a bit of information about personality behind a company makes things more personal for already being and potentially new customers.

Cheers
Lives for gear
Quote:
I think it's insulting considering the economic climate at the moment in the midst of a worldwide pandemic. Many in the creative arts are struggling, even some top-tier creatives that I'm familiar with, so to see a plugin appear on the market for $249 (one that in my view, doesn't necessarily warrant a price tag that high) I feel is an insult to many creatives out there. It shows absolutely no empathy or understanding to their potential customer base.
So many companies these days are extremely cost aware when it comes to pricing their products and they understand the challenges that their target base are enduring. It would appear that this company aren't bothered about that one bit.
Eh... if they want to be a luxury plugin company then their 'target base' are those whales who don't care about price. Sequential wasn't thumbing their nose at the masses of music makers with a $4k Prophet 10, were they?

There are plenty of alternatives that aren't priced at such a silly level so it's not like this is depriving anyone of a need.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The audio examples on their website are worth a listen.

This makes things bigger sound without adding too much obvious distortion. I think there will be a number of people who won't want to live with out it this once they have glued to there mix buss during the 20 day trail.
Lives for gear

Quote:
But to play devil's advocate here: I suspect the folks at the company consider themselves to be 'creatives', so why deny them a living wage?
Gear Addict

Quote:

Justifying the price of a plugin with the development costs (as you seem to be doing here as well as in the FAQ on your website) is a fool’s errand. First of all, potential buyers don’t care one bit what the costs of developing a plugin are, they only care whether it is useful for them or not, and if so, how useful it is to them relative to the price. Second, the price of a plugin (or other product) is typically determined such that overall profits are maximized; it is not determined based on fairness considerations with respect to the effort that was put into development. Imagine your development costs were ten times as high and you would offer the plugin for 2,500, surely nobody would buy it and where would that leave you? What counts is the number of potential buyers and what they are willing to pay on average, then these variables can be optimized with respect to profit maximization. I guess it’s possible that you still sell enough at 250 to yield a sufficient profit. I doubt it, however. Anyway, just a couple of random cents here, and at any rate, good luck!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'm so not into this take.

Nobody owes me a plug-in.

- c
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
But to play devil's advocate here: I suspect the folks at the company consider themselves to be 'creatives', so why deny them a living wage?
I certainly would never want to compromise anyone's chance or opportunity to earn a living, especially when it comes to a creative. But I think there's a balance to be found between charging a price that enables you to earn a 'living wage' and not undermining or alienating your potential customer base with a very highly priced piece of software. That's just my opinion of course and I know not everyone will agree with it. This viewpoint doesn't come from a standpoint where I think a company 'owes' me a plugin as Silver Sonya has mentioned in a previous post, it comes from a place of wanting to feel that a company respects and values me as a customer.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I certainly would never want to compromise anyone's chance or opportunity to earn a living, especially when it comes to a creative. But I think there's a balance to be found between charging a price that enables you to earn a 'living wage' and not undermining or alienating your potential customer base with a very highly priced piece of software. That's just my opinion of course and I know not everyone will agree with it. This viewpoint doesn't come from a standpoint where I think a company 'owes' me a plugin as Silver Sonya has mentioned in a previous post, it comes from a place of wanting to feel that a company respects and values me as a customer.
I don't feel alienated, and I can't quite wrap my head around why someone else would either. These guys/gals are running a business; it's nothing personal. I, too, feel this plugin is too expensive, but rather than make it out to be some reflection on the ethics of the company or the folks running it, I simply won't buy the product. I just fail to see where morality comes into this.

My value as a human being is not determined by whether I can afford a plugin. However, to your point about feeling unvalued: what *IS* determined by whether i can afford a plugin is my value as a customer, and in fairness to Pulsar, I am not a customer at all, so they're under no obligation to value me as such.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I don't feel alienated, and I can't quite wrap my head around why someone else would either. These guys/gals are running a business; it's nothing personal. I, too, feel this plugin is too expensive, but rather than make it out to be some reflection on the ethics of the company or the folks running it, I simply won't buy the product. I just fail to see where morality comes into this.

My value as a human being is not determined by whether I can afford a plugin. However, to your point about feeling unvalued: what *IS* determined by whether i can afford a plugin is my value as a customer, and in fairness to Pulsar, I am not a customer at all, so they're under no obligation to value me as such.
Very fair points, I can't really disagree with that to be fair. As a very small software business owner myself, I'm always constantly conscious of my own moral compass when setting prices for things and how those prices reflect what I feel about my own customer base and how I value those customers. That's my own personal cross to bear I guess and I understand that not everyone may view things in the same way. Such is business eh?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
We launched the business to compete against hardware and not plugins
My head hurts.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

This is a loose loose situation. This company will not sell more than a couple of these plugins and we, as musicians, will never use them.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I am sure they are making great advertising where people don't know better.
But libertarian capitalists assume consumer knowledge.
They can charge whatever they want.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Another thing, with this insane prices there will be a serious gamble to buy the plugins cause the risk is this company will not exist in one year or so and if thats the case there will be no updates.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeUppsala ➡️
Another thing, with this insane prices there will be a serious gamble to buy the plugins cause the risk is this company will not exist in one year or so and if thats the case there will be no updates.
I agree it's stupid. Nonetheless, we are audio enthusiasts in a highly knowledgeable forum.
I assume they are marketing where people don't know better.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pali ➡️
I agree it's stupid. Nonetheless, we are audio enthusiasts in a highly knowledgeable forum.
I assume they are marketing where people don't know better.
plz point me to this forum u speak of thx
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…